The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Slavery back?.....

RowdyCanuck

Woah well I learned something new today....

I knew about what the states did but didn't know Britain just finished paying off the bill in 2014 for everything they did. 

The guy does have a point if they apologize , they owe it to their people and the people they shipped out. 

trump in the states and slavery coming back , they better get trump out before he puts in a order....

12 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

trump in the states and slavery coming back , they better get trump out before he puts in a order....

What a dumb remark, African Americans currently have record low unemployment and are also bringing home more money under the oompa loompa 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, shad0w4life said:

What a dumb remark, African Americans currently have record low unemployment and are also bringing home more money under the oompa loompa 

I know it was tongue in cheek and childish I apologize..

but people say trump is a  racist.... That's why I made the remark. 

3 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Slavery has never really stopped.  Just too many fingers are pointed at one group of people when there are dozens that are more complicit. 

I just couldn't get over the fact that it's still going on today in countries and 14 dollars or pounds to buy a slave..... I figured by now everyone would know how bad it was , so no one would start up again. 

It's truly disturbing 

26 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Slavery has never really stopped.  Just too many fingers are pointed at one group of people when there are dozens that are more complicit. 

Exactly.

https://www.globalslaveryindex.org/

https://www.freetheslaves.net/our-model-for-freedom/slavery-today/

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/01/fact-check-how-many-people-are-enslaved-in-the-world-today/

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I know it was tongue in cheek and childish I apologize..

but people say trump is a  racist.... That's why I made the remark. 

Trump is a racist.

I got your joke. 

I'll watch your vid later on, but I'm not going to like it!

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its never left. If you've eaten cheap prawns produced out of Thailand recently good chance slave labour is the reason its on your plate. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/jan/23/thai-seafood-industry-report-trafficking-rights-abuses

But to have a government that supports and to hold public  auctions in towns near cities.....

that's a step even sicker...

i knew some things about the slave labour before but it's  government support is sickening. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its never left. If you've eaten cheap prawns produced out of Thailand recently good chance slave labour is the reason its on your plate. 

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/jan/23/thai-seafood-industry-report-trafficking-rights-abuses

I think I have only ever seen them from Thailand.

Refering to those big frozen bags

3 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I think I have only ever seen them from Thailand.

Refering to those big frozen bags

you can find Ocean Wise labeled ones around, depends on where you buy them. I don't eat a lot of prawns but every year we go to the docks at granville island and buy some local prawns off the boats.

BC spot prawns are amazing, no slavery needed either. It surprises me that a lot of people don't know how good our local prawns are. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

you can find Ocean Wise labeled ones around, depends on where you buy them. I don't eat a lot of prawns but every year we go to the docks at granville island and buy some local prawns off the boats.

BC spot prawns are amazing, no slavery needed either. It surprises me that a lot of people don't know how good our local prawns are. 

I don't eat them so I don't have to worry.

Except maybe when dining out.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

For those interested, I have seen these guides down here at some aquariums.  By no means extensive, it can help you make some better seafood decisions, as far as sustainability and such go:  https://www.seafoodwatch.org/seafood-recommendations/consumer-guides

Don't ask me why there are ones for different states.  I spot checked a few, and there are some items not found in some that are on others (so, perhaps catering to some local preferences?), but also noticed that some had different grades depending on what part of the country you were in (despite the fish apparently coming from the same place/method).

Edit: I guess the website has a more extensive list... i'll need to check

Edit #2: further down the page, there is a sushi guide.  Spot prawns are there, as a best choice :) 

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 1

We're all slaves to some extent. Especially in a society where we have to pay more and more every year and see less return on that 'investment.' It slowly equates to longer hours and or more days, more years, to the point where many won't get to retire because they've spent so much capital just getting through the days and years. This is the growing paycheck to paycheck crowd and those that aren't far from being on that same boat. 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

We're all slaves to some extent. Especially in a society where we have to pay more and more every year and see less return on that 'investment.' It slowly equates to longer hours and or more days, more years, to the point where many won't get to retire because they've spent so much capital just getting through the days and years. This is the growing paycheck to paycheck crowd and those that aren't far from being on that same boat. 

Yes, paying taxes is definitely the same thing as being a slave. Slam dunk post, take a bow. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2