The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Chris Gear promoted to Canucks Assistant General Manager

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

He was basically involved in drawing up contracts and IMHO some of those contracts handed out aren't that great. :(

Overall Vancouver has done very well in many of the contracts they've worked out. I am referring more so to extensions for sure. But honestly don't have as much a problem as others might in regards to their Unrestricted Free Agent signings. I mean you have to look at it in context for starters, the season Eriksson signed well he was one of the more sought after free agents in a weak class so you'd have to expect the supply and demand game to kick in. Solid NHL player just not worth his salary we get it.

Beagle and Roussel were solid signings. We've seen how the team does when both Beagle and Sutter are out of the lineup as it strains the top guys too much. So not too upset by the numbers Sutter or Beagle are earning. Keep in mind Sutter was looked at as a solid top 9 who could score goals, injuries have hindered that success and while not an excuse it is unfortunate but the team is better positioned to succeed with those role guys in the lineup.

Benning has found a key piece of his management team.  This is good.

Negotiating contracts is complicated.  Gear is a young guy and I would expect his responsibilities have expanded over his time with the Canucks.  I don't think it's a coincidence that the contracts have been somewhat better the last year or so.  This promotion is the natural reward for doing a great job.

11 hours ago, Fred65 said:

Like every one else Brackett likely enjoys the idea of promotion and if Vcr doesn't attend to his needs some other team will. He's building a solid reputation and will attract attention. I'm unaware of his contract status but Vcr best pay attention to him or they may live to regret it

Okay so fire the first time GM who worked his way up as an AGM and scout, and hire the scout turned into would-be rookie GM? 

JB made some mistakes but he has also built a pretty solid team here so far. When Jimbo got here the Canucks had a top 10 prospect list of

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Corrado

Jensen

Gaunce

Subban

Tommernes

Labate

McNally

Who cares

We had Dalpe, Diaz, Ballard, Booth, Sestito, Schroeder, Garrison all on the regular roster... 

Now think of who we have in our line up and who we have down the pipe. This man literally rebuilt this entire franchise from scratch starting as a rookie GM. If the Canucks make playoffs he'll be in the running for GM of the year.

There are teams that would hire JB. That tells you all you need to know. Mike Gillis ran this ship so hard into the ground he still hasn't got another shake, and like Chia pet, he probably never will.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Okay so fire the first time GM who worked his way up as an AGM and scout, and hire the scout turned into would-be rookie GM? 

JB made some mistakes but he has also built a pretty solid team here so far. When Jimbo got here the Canucks had a top 10 prospect list of

Horvat

Shinkaruk

Corrado

Jensen

Gaunce

Subban

Tommernes

Labate

McNally

Who cares

We had Dalpe, Diaz, Ballard, Booth, Sestito, Schroeder, Garrison all on the regular roster... 

Now think of who we have in our line up and who we have down the pipe. This man literally rebuilt this entire franchise from scratch starting as a rookie GM. If the Canucks make playoffs he'll be in the running for GM of the year.

There are teams that would hire JB. That tells you all you need to know. Mike Gillis ran this ship so hard into the ground he still hasn't got another shake, and like Chia pet, he probably never will.

Sorry to say you missed my point. The initial post was about Chris Gear being promoted and it was this that I was addressing. Nothing to do with JB or his record. I was thinking Brackett should likely be the Asst. GM. As it is now we have a former football player alongside a former basketball manager, that seems a good fit ….. for a hockey club :lol:

Edited by Fred65

On 1/7/2020 at 9:23 AM, Whorvat said:

As long as this doesn't hinder any Brackett promotion

On 1/7/2020 at 9:39 AM, -AJ- said:

I'd rather he stay in his strong position of drafting. Play to his strengths.

On 1/7/2020 at 12:17 PM, Fred65 said:

Like every one else Brackett likely enjoys the idea of promotion and if Vcr doesn't attend to his needs some other team will. He's building a solid reputation and will attract attention. I'm unaware of his contract status but Vcr best pay attention to him or they may live to regret it

You guys wont like Sekeres's rant today - both he and Dhaliwal believe there may be a rift between Brackett and Benning/Weisbrod.  Pretty weird Benning didn't namedrop Brackett last night when talking about the scouts but hopefully it's nothing.  Also funny that no one knows what exactly Weisbrod does within the organization lol. 

When I watched the pre-draft videos it look to me that Brackett runs the show - sure Benning gets last word - but it's Brackett with the astute knowledge of every prospect.  

• Like 1

Then you list the prospects he was collecting late in rounds while winning presidents trophies and making a cup final.  Not to mention 2010-2012 were fairly weak drafts.

I know one thing for sure, as a season ticket holder, the Gillis era was the best entertainment and successful period in Vcr history. I enjoyed attending the games and being associated with the team.  Aquaman enjoyed great financial success as a result after the continuous sell outs. Since then the on ice product has been spotty at best and the fans have been sold on …. just wait, just wait things are going to be great. Who knows maybe they will, but without their good fortune in the 2017 draft this team would be average

• Wat 1

On 1/7/2020 at 10:22 AM, spook007 said:

Which contracts are you referring to?

Not looking for an argument just curious...

If it is the contact of LE, wonder if he could have done any different, if they wanted him. LE's free fall since signing was obviously not expected.

And I think the contract to Myers, were better than many had expected... 

Feel management had to pay extra, to sign any decent players as a bottom dweller....

If he had a hand in the JT Miller deal.. that was fn impressive.. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, iceman64 said:

If he had a hand in the JT Miller deal.. that was fn impressive.. 

Definitely....
The Miller contract is a flipping steal. He has been a revelation in the Orca colours. 

But I don’t think there has been any real bad contracts as such done by Canucks under JB’s stewardship. Definitely don’t buy into the crowd complaining about the Roussel, Beagle or Schaller deals. 

Of course if we put captain hindsights caps on, there are contracts, that should never have been handed out, but in general you have to pay for, what you get. and bottom feeders and rebuilding clubs pay more, as the players are aware, that silverware most likely won’t be available in the near future

Some fans just expect us to sign all thee superstars at discount rates, rip off everybody in every trade, and every player acquired to become a hit... as great as that would be, its also pretty unrealistic...

Until it becomes evident that we are in cap hell, I’d say Gear is doing a good job. 

Edited by spook007

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

Definitely....
The Miller contract is a flipping steal. He has been a revelation in the Orca colours. 

But I don’t think there has been any real bad contracts as such done by Canucks under JB’s stewardship. Definitely don’t buy into the crowd complaining about the Roussel, Beagle or Schaller deals. 

Of course if we put captain hindsights caps on, there are contracts, that should never have been handed out, but in general you have to pay for, what you get. and bottom feeders and rebuilding clubs pay more, as the players are aware, that silverware most likely won’t be available in the near future

Some fans just expect us to sign all thee superstars at discount rates, rip off everybody in every trade, and every player acquired to become a hit... as great as that would be, its also pretty unrealistic...

Until it becomes evident that we are in cap hell, I’d say Gear is doing a good job. 

Well cap hell will be gone soon and maybe the cap will get bigger when the new tv deal is signed but who knows but the cap cost us a cup, I'm still pissed about it.

Moving on though, sure JB made a few gaffs but there's no such thing as a GM who has nailed it everytime and JB still isn't a seasoned pro yet and will still get better. Read a tweet of JB in the summer and by his own admission, negotiating wasn't his strong point but he also mentioned he's getting the hang of it and it sure makes a difference to have yourself surrounded by others who do that you can learn from and it's obvious he has.

Are we a patient bunch of fans? No but at least I think now the JB has put together a really good team that will only get better.

Edited by iceman64
  • Cheers 1

On 1/10/2020 at 3:17 PM, The 5th Line said:

"Gillis ran this ship in to the ground"

Then you list the prospects he was collecting late in rounds while winning presidents trophies and making a cup final.  Not to mention 2010-2012 were fairly weak drafts.

When Gillis got fired this team was worse than abysmal. It was being propped up by the Sedins and good goal tending