The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] - Value of Michael Dipietro

There has been a lot of discussion regarding our goaltenders and their value on the trade market but they are a very good tandem if we can keep them together.  Michael Dipietro has some “hype” around him and potentially could be a good piece in a trade that a lot of teams may be looking for.  When you look closer at his numbers they really aren’t spectacular and perhaps this isn’t a bad time to use the value he has for something else we may need in our lineup.

Screen Shot 2020-01-07 at 4.35.46 PM.png

I think you will find there isn't much of a market for goalie prospects.  It's such a boom or bust position that teams aren't willing to wager much on an un-proven tender.

In my opinion, it's better to hang on to DiPietro right now.  Marky is a pending UFA, plus there is an upcoming expansion draft.  There's a chance we're going to need him as back-up for Demko.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Value? Not sure what that would be after that SJ game, his only full NHL game.

0.708 save % and a 7.00 GAA during that game

The problem with Mikey is he's too short for a goalie. He doesn't have the leg span to make those post to post saves quickly. He doesn't cover enough net. I'd trade him for a 2nd or a 3rd and a 5th.

• Upvote 1

Yeah I agree with NUCKER67.  You aren’t going to get anything of substance for a guy with two whole NHL games under his belt (one of which he **** the bed though that wasn’t his fault as he was thrown to the wolves).  Better we keep him in case we lose a goalie in the expansion draft.

31 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Why is it, that whenever we acquire any type of depth at any position, there's a certain element here that is immediately looking to diminish said depth?  And I'm not just talking about MDP. 

I've been saying this for a while now - this club doesn't have nearly the depth, at any position, that some people think it does. 

Marky leaving for personal reasons, and Demko sustaining a concussion are perfect examples of how quickly this so-called 'depth' can be erased. 

Agree completely, was going to post something similar. As soon as we start establishing the depth that has held this organization back, suddenly fans want to trade it away.

To be a strong team for a long period of time, you have to have the depth necessary to survive a grinding season as well as 4 series of hockey. Our loss in 2011, was due to attrition, we didn't have enough depth on replacements to match up in a physical series.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Why is it, that whenever we acquire any type of depth at any position, there's a certain element here that is immediately looking to diminish said depth?  And I'm not just talking about MDP. 

I've been saying this for a while now - this club doesn't have nearly the depth, at any position, that some people think it does. 

Marky leaving for personal reasons, and Demko sustaining a concussion are perfect examples of how quickly this so-called 'depth' can be erased. 

Erm

Who said goalies were deep with the canucks?

We have several goalie prospects like Demko,Dipietro, Silovs....

Canucks have alot of depth at LW and C

Our prospect pools are solid but i would like 1-2 more high end d men prospects, especially rhd.

Aswell as another potential top 6 Right shot forward.

Show me a team that can call up NHL talent like the canucks currently can.

Goldy baer macewan boucher graovac etc

3 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

That list would be impressive, were it not for the fact that every single one of those guys with the exception of Mac has passed through waivers this season without any takers. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Our prospect pools are solid but i would like 1-2 more high end d men prospects, especially rhd.

Besides Baert, who's all but untouchable now because of injury, what have those other guys done exactly to be labeled as 'NHL talent'? 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, 112 said:

intellectuals of cdc

That's a solid contribution to the discussion.

Youtube Alain Vigneault interview on dave bolland"s comments about the twins.

The arguement is about depth

I say the canucks have solid depth at C and LW.

Miller Lw/C

Pearson 

Roussel 

Ferland

Eriksson lw/rw

Motte Lw/c

Schaller lw/c

All of Baertschi Goldobin and Boucher play LW?

that trio is where ?

In the AHL and not on the Canucks roster.

Add in the prospects who have not signed with the canucks yet, Hoglander & Podz etc

Again depth at C

Petey

Miller 

Horvat

Sutter

Beagle

Gaudette

with lesser C in Motte Schaller Macewan Graovac. 

Rw 

Boeser 

Virtanen (better at LW)

Leivo

Macewan

Lind?

As i said previously, I'd like to get more depth here.

Not going to waste my time on the d.

Dipietros value is going to depreciate over time, trade him now to TML for a few picks?

Or better yet ransom him to Ottawa first then drive up the cost to acquire Mikey! :bigblush:

5 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Erm

Who said goalies were deep with the canucks?

We have several goalie prospects like Demko,Dipietro, Silovs....

Canucks have alot of depth at LW and C

We don't have great depth IMO. At C, Utica is playing wingers in the middle with the injuries currently. Lots of unknowns about Madden translating his success with his frame to pro hockey, Linus is an unknown prospect. There is no real NHL caliber prospects in Utica other than maybe OJ and maybe Rafferty? I like How Lind has progressed, I think Gadj with be in tough maybe he can play bottom 6 if he hits but his foot speed sounds like it may hold him back.

We have 0 NHL caliber call ups, the 1 I consider an NHL talent is Sven. The rest are tweeners who are bound for a long AHL career or headed on a ship overseas if they want to keep playing.

We need to hope our prospects in College sign and turn pro to continue 1 step closer to maybe playing in the NHL one day. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, mll said:

Goalie prospect Connor Ingram who was an AHL all-star for the Crunch got traded for a 7th round pick.  

There was some substantial, not exactly explained fallout with Yzerman & the Bolts.  By memory he was having a near all star AHL season.  Then was suddenly banished to the ECHL. I think even someone elses affiliated team. And dumped for said 7th rounder. It was like he committed some atrocity of faith with the team.

Like Kassian being dumped by Montreal?  Or us.  Except like with us, never announced was the actual issue. 

2 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

There was some substantial, not exactly explained fallout with Yzerman & the Bolts.  By memory he was having a near all star AHL season.  Then was suddenly banished to the ECHL. I think even someone elses affiliated team. And dumped for said 7th rounder. It was like he committed some atrocity of faith with the team.

Like Kassian being dumped by Montreal?  Or us.  Except like with us, never announced was the actual issue. 

His agent did explain.  He wanted to play more but they had a goalie rotation and it led to tension - lots of little things that kept on building up.  His agent described Ingram as someone that sometimes says things he shouldn't.  He says it's Ingram that asked to go to the ECHL telling Syracuse that if they weren't going to play him he preferred going there.  His agent thinks that Tampa did the right thing by demoting him.

Ingram has been sharing the net with Grosenick in Milwaukee - 19 starts each.  Milwaukee is the top team in the Central and he's been named to the AHL All-star game this season too.  

• Upvote 1