The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

CBH1926

“Keith Mackey, president of Mackey International, an aviation consulting firm specializing in safety and risk management, suggested that, given the plane's recorded speed and altitude during takeoff, which were normal, and the fact that it landed very close to its last recorded location, the cause was probably not an engine failure.

Mackey, a former pilot and aircraft accident investigator, said an engine problem would have made the plane unable to climb that quickly. He added that in the case of an engine fire or similar problem, the pilots would likely have been able to steer the plane and land it safely.“

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Still don't think that proves any foul play.

True but nothing that has been released so far tells me it was an accident as well.

Especially since Iran said right away it was an accident. If it happened in Canada sure but around Teheran there are hundreds of AA canons, SAM's, PAD's etc. Right after their top general was killed and they are expecting attack. We will see i guess.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

True but nothing that has been released so far tells me it was an accident as well.

Especially since Iran said right away it was an accident. If it happened in Canada sure but around Teheran there are hundreds of AA canons, SAM's, PAD's etc. Right after their top general was killed and they are expecting attack. We will see i guess.

The timing couldn’t have been worse, for sure. I certainly hope it wasn’t a calculated hit. 

• Upvote 2

“According to the plane's radar data, the plane took off and climbed normally during the first two minutes of the flight. Then it stopped transmitting data.

Cox says that indicates something probably interrupted the power to the transmitters. Typically, he says, when that happens, a second generator will supply power. That does not appear to have happened in this case. He called it "very unusual."

Larry Vance, a former pilot and Transportation Safety Board accident investigator, told CBC News Network that losing the signal like that indicates that something "catastrophic" had to have happened. He noted that the plane has "lots of sources and lots of backups" for power.”

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Why would a plane just catch on fire and crash? A missile would blown up that plane mid air, not just make the plane catch fire. Whatever it was, I doubt it was a missile that brought that thing down. Plane catching on fire looks more like mechanical issues to me, whether its an engine problem or something else.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The timing couldn’t have been worse, for sure. I certainly hope it wasn’t a calculated hit. 

It really doesnt make sense for Iran to target a civilian jetliner. I mean what would the Iranian regime gain from killing those passengers?

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You guys are over thinking. This is just a crash due to mechanical issues, its really a coincident. Why would there be missile attacks on a civilian passenger plane? And some people are saying that it was on fire before crashing, so there goes the theory of accidental SAM hit. 

I sure hope that we are and I do usually subscribe to Occam's razor.  I seems a bit fishy and very coincidental, but youre right it is simply speculation at this point and really cant comment until all the information is out there. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's all just speculation at this point. I'm sure we'll find out eventually....(at least, we'll find out what they want us to find out :ph34r:)

It is speculations, but from the video released, it doesnt look like the plane was hit. It just doesnt make sense based on physics. 

Just now, DefCon1 said:

It is speculations, but from the video released, it doesnt look like the plane was hit. It just doesnt make sense based on physics. 

I agree. However, we only have Iran state TV's word that it's the correct video.

I too believe it was a mechanical issue, based on what we know. However, at this point, all things are possible.

9 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

“According to the plane's radar data, the plane took off and climbed normally during the first two minutes of the flight. Then it stopped transmitting data.

Cox says that indicates something probably interrupted the power to the transmitters. Typically, he says, when that happens, a second generator will supply power. That does not appear to have happened in this case. He called it "very unusual."

Larry Vance, a former pilot and Transportation Safety Board accident investigator, told CBC News Network that losing the signal like that indicates that something "catastrophic" had to have happened. He noted that the plane has "lots of sources and lots of backups" for power.”

Those so called experts dont have the black box so I doubt they can pinpoint what went wrong. 

37 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Where did you get the info that there was no distress call? Iran has the blackbox and hasnt released any info. Me thinks you are making up that part. Show me the report where it says there was no distress call.

I don't appreciate being called a liar but  considering the source i will let it slide. Also where did you get the info that Ukrainians do not perform maintenance diligently? 

Hassan Razaeifar, the head of air crash investigation committee said it appeared the pilot couldn't communicate with air-traffic controllers in Tehran in the last moments

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/08/iran-plane-crash-170-passengers-feared-dead-ukraine-boeing-737/#update-20200108-1710

Edited by CBH1926

4 hours ago, Mackcanuck said:

Iran has recovered both black boxes and will not release them to Boeing or anyone else

Understandable, Iran is currently having great difficulty with the U.S. Why give a U.S. based company, that is heavily involved in the U.S. military anything.

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

This tells you all you need to know

It tells me that a lot of people like to jump to conclusions, usually because it is the only exercise they get, other than their typing fingers.

• Haha 1

• Iran launches missiles hours earlier 
  • Pilots lost communication with control tower
  • Plane seen on fire
  • Experts - very usual crash - unlikely engine fire
  • Iran refuses to turn over recovered black boxes

Iran shot down their own plane. Bodes well for WWIII

Edited by peaches5

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

• Iran launches missiles hour 
  • Plan seen on fire

WW3 is the silliest thing to ever be said. There's no WW3 don't worry. 

It's just two governments trying to get more power in their region. 

WW3 lol... 

They shot 15 missiles at the US airbase and killed 3 cockroaches. There wasn't even a kitty or a squirell in sight to be harmed. They're claiming to Iranians that the strikes killed 80 Americans when they didn't hurt a cockroach 

This is not world War 3. This is propaganda to unite Trumps supporters and unite the guys that support the iranians

As for what happened to the plane, we might never know. But jumping to that conclusion makes no sense if u know everything that's been going on. 

Edited by StealthNuck
Watch the language.

25 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

• Iran launches missiles hour 
  • Plan seen on fire

Whose plan was on fire? Why didn't they use a flashlight to read it instead of a match? How did the Ukrainian plane change nationalities? How do planes have nationalities?

Enquiring minds want to know!

• Haha 2