The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

CBH1926

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

Flights are safe, except when its a Boeing 737 known for having flaws and crashing and a Ukranian airline not known for high standards or safety.

Wasn’t a max, it was a 800 series. Very good safety record

10 minutes ago, apollo said:

WW3 is the silliest thing to ever be said. There's no WW3 don't worry. 

It's just two governments trying to get more power in their region. 

WW3 lol... 

They shot 15 missiles at the US airbase and killed 3 cockroaches. There wasn't even a kitty or a squirell in sight to be harmed. They're claiming to Iranians that the strikes killed 80 Americans when they didn't hurt a cockroach 

This is not world War 3. This is propaganda to unite Trumps supporters and unite the guys that support the turbans in Iran 

As for what happened to the plane, we might never know. But jumping to that conclusion makes no sense if u know everything that's been going on. 

Jumping to conclusions? Like the CDC experts who are now mocking real industry experts for having differing opinions. WW3 is going to happen. It's only a matter of when. The world is becoming grossly overpopulated and everyone knows it.

13 minutes ago, apollo said:

WW3 is the silliest thing to ever be said. There's no WW3 don't worry. 

It's just two governments trying to get more power in their region. 

WW3 lol... 

They shot 15 missiles at the US airbase and killed 3 cockroaches. There wasn't even a kitty or a squirell in sight to be harmed. They're claiming to Iranians that the strikes killed 80 Americans when they didn't hurt a cockroach 

This is not world War 3. This is propaganda to unite Trumps supporters and unite the guys that support the turbans in Iran 

As for what happened to the plane, we might never know. But jumping to that conclusion makes no sense if u know everything that's been going on. 

Yes....but they were Revolutionary Guard cockroaches.....

....each with a tiny little explosives vest strapped to it's thorax.....

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Jumping to conclusions? Like the CDC experts who are now mocking real industry experts for having differing opinions.

Real industry experts who've all had access to the black box?

WW3 is going to happen.

When? I've got some vacation days that I'm trying to schedule this summer.

It's only a matter of when. The world is becoming grossly overpopulated and everyone knows it.

While I do agree that there are way too many people on the planet, is mutually assured destruction really the answer? I get wanting to thin the herd, but killing them all off seems a tad drastic.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I tend to agree. Just seems a little too coincidental. (That said i suggested the Russians due to the Ukrainian airline involved)

I agree the coincidence of a plane crash in Tehran the very night they launch missiles at a US base is too much and makes me immediately think accidental SAM strike. 

I looked it up. Chances of a plane crashing is one in 5,000,000 (some reports say one in 10,000,000). To happen on this very night in Tehran? Too much coincidence for me even though I hope it is just coincidence.

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Granted, I'm far from an expert on military weapons, but the video I saw last night showed the plane traveling a fair distance, seemingly on fire. That sounds to me like an engine fire is more likely than a missile strike.

2 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I think it was probably an engine problem. A missile would have caused explosion mid air and the debris would be spread out. This was just a Ukranian airline not known to do maintenance regularly.

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

Why would a plane just catch on fire and crash? A missile would blown up that plane mid air, not just make the plane catch fire. Whatever it was, I doubt it was a missile that brought that thing down. Plane catching on fire looks more like mechanical issues to me, whether its an engine problem or something else.

Definitely no expert here but I did read about the SAM strike on the Malaysian airline passenger jet over Ukraine. The missile never hit the plane. It exploded near the plane showering the area with 1000's of pieces of shrapnel. Around 100 pieces hit the plane around the cockpit killing the pilots instantly. The cockpit broke off but the rest of the plane continued on for 5min before hitting the ground.

Other commercial jets hit by SAM's have not exploded in mid air as you say....

Shortly after takeoff from Baghdad on 22 November 2003, an Airbus A300-200F cargo plane registered OO-DLL, was struck on the left wing by a surface-to-air missile whilst en route to Muharraq, Bahrain. The aircraft lost all hydraulic control meaning the crew had to use engine thrust control to manoeuvre the plane. Despite no controls, a high landing speed and a damaged left wing, the plane touched down at Baghdad airport.

Also....

A Yak-40 plane traveling from Stepanakert airport to Yerevan on 27 March 1992, with a total of 34 passengers and crew, was attacked by an Azerbaijan military Sukhoi Su-25 attack aircraft. With an engine failure and a fire in rear of the plane, it eventually made a safe landing on Armenian territory

Point being that a fire could have been caused by SAM shrapnel hitting a engine or fuel line. 

1 hour ago, DefCon1 said:

It really doesnt make sense for Iran to target a civilian jetliner. I mean what would the Iranian regime gain from killing those passengers?

Accidental more likely than a targeted attack but who knows.

Misidentification by SAM batteries on heightened alert was my immediate thought. This has happened at least several times including Malaysia airlines and Iran Air Flight 655. They may have thought it was US counter attack by cruise missiles or stealth bombers.

Im surprised flights were still allowed?

Could have also been mechanical failure ....

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While I do agree that there are way too many people on the planet, is mutually assured destruction really the answer? I get wanting to thin the herd, but killing them all off seems a tad drastic.

It's an inevitability the way it's going. The only way I could see the population be stabilized is through a war. You can't cull people. Children births are already down in western cultures. The population is already at a point where something drastic needs to happen. Modern medicine has prevented nature from doing its thing. Space travel is not in the foreseeable future and even if it was it doesn't solve the problems on earth. 

You think people would go for lotteries for child birth / having kids? I doubt it. Even so that is taking away democracy. So how long can democracy survive in an overpopulated world? Everything points to war, which is the simplest solution. 

Create a global war > have people die en masse > Take away the unregulated internet (it'll happen, they're legit trying already)

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

• Iran launches missiles hours earlier 
  • Pilots lost communication with control tower
  • Plane seen on fire
  • Experts - very usual crash - unlikely engine fire
  • Iran refuses to turn over recovered black boxes

Iran shot down their own plane. Bodes well for WWIII

Iran shooting down a plane with mostly Iranians causes WW3?....ok now Ive seen everything here. Even Trump looks sane compared to what people are suggesting here. Relax a WW3 wont happen anytime soon. There wont be an Iran US war either with both sides de eacalating the situation. There is no need to look for bunkers, relax.

50 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

How can anyone deduce it wasn't a missile/drone strike because the plane was on fire?  They're not firing giant nukes, it doesn't take much to bring down a jet.  I don't know what happened but I know you simply cannot dismiss a missile/drone strike just from that video.

RIP for the fallen and my condolences to the families abroad.

It would be pointless to target a plane whether American or Iranian when they wanted no casualties. I mean firing 17 missiles into Iraq and all the victims end up being Iranian? with no American or Iraqi casualties? That would cause a big stir if they find out it was an iranian missile hitting a passenger plane full of Iranians. Who knows what happened, but you also cant link the missile directly with the plane going down just because of the time frame unless there is undeniable evidence that the missile hit the plane. 

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Was watching PM press conference while in gym.

While over 60 were Canadians over 130 of the passengers were destined for Canada.

So unfortunate.

Edit: now headline at CBC news

i heard most were college students,  some from Vancouver studying at UBC

Edited by DefCon1

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

i heard most were college students,  some from Vancouver studying at UBC

Yes. They specifically mentioned UBC and Langara.

All the other institutions mentioned were out of province. U of A and several in Ontario, Quebec and Maritimes....

7 hours ago, peaches5 said:

It's an inevitability the way it's going. The only way I could see the population be stabilized is through a war. You can't cull people. Children births are already down in western cultures. The population is already at a point where something drastic needs to happen. Modern medicine has prevented nature from doing its thing. Space travel is not in the foreseeable future and even if it was it doesn't solve the problems on earth. 

You think people would go for lotteries for child birth / having kids? I doubt it. Even so that is taking away democracy. So how long can democracy survive in an overpopulated world? Everything points to war, which is the simplest solution. 

Create a global war > have people die en masse > Take away the unregulated internet (it'll happen, they're legit trying already)

Global war, which would go nuclear, would render much of the surface of the Earth uninhabitable for years, and destroy most of the ecosystems, throwing nature into upheaval and would essentially be our extinction event, along with millions of other species. Makes zero sense from a population control perspective.

Now a virus that kills people and reanimates them as cannibalistic corpses would go along way to minimizing the effects of over-population. Hell, there are tons of shows prepping humanity for it already. Remember, head = dead.

Or we can try out this guy's method. NSFW, by the way.

'

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

Jumping to conclusions? Like the CDC experts who are now mocking real industry experts for having differing opinions. WW3 is going to happen. It's only a matter of when. The world is becoming grossly overpopulated and everyone knows it.

Hope you didn't see that as me coming at you. I'm just very passionate about what's going on and it's far from WW3 

This whole thing was a plot between USA and Iran government. 

I have a lot of Iranian friends and have spoken to them non stop over the past few days. Their parents, their families back home, everyone realized last night that this was all a show. 

Trump being impeached and nearing election... 

Iran's government, who the CIA put in place, was for the very first time since the revolution scared of the people turning on them (very common knowledge if you search it up) 

The protests in Iran leading up a month to these events were unlike anything the country had seen before. Even far worse than the green movement when ahmadinejad rigged the previous election. They had already killed 1500+ Iranians that were protesting. 

Please don't let the western media fool you. I hope you're not listening to fox news. 

This has absolutely nothing to do with WW3 and everything to do with two desperate governments trying to extend their time in power. 

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

We just need to take warning labels off things, and human nature will thin itself out. 

“Yes.  You can use your hair dryer while showering. “

“No problem. Of course you can drink bleach. Cleans the toilet, pretty sure it will clean you too.”

”Naw...seatbelts and airbags are a scam made by auto companies to sell more useless junk.”

“Yes, you can drink this water.”

it will sort itself out pretty quick. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

We just need to take warning labels off things, and human nature will thin itself out. 

“Yes.  You can use your hair dryer while showering. “

“No problem. Of course you can drink bleach. Cleans the toilet, pretty sure it will clean you too.”

”Naw...seatbelts and airbags are a scam made by auto companies to sell more useless junk.”

“Yes, you can drink this water.”

it will sort itself out pretty quick. 

I frickin wish. How would you deal with the lawyers salivating at the impending lawsuits though.