The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Iran Says It Unintentionally Shot Down Ukrainian Airliner

CBH1926

Canada is asking to be part of the crash investigation:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canada-pushing-tehran-for-direct-access-on-iran-plane-crash-trudeau-says/ar-BBYKsdu?li=AAggNb9

Canada is pushing to be part of the Iranian-led investigation of the plane crash near Tehran that killed everyone on board, including 138 people bound for Canada, says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

Gaining access could prove challenging because Canada broke diplomatic relations with Iran in 2012, shuttering its Tehran embassy and expelling its diplomats. Trudeau said Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne was to speak with his Iranian counterpart, Javad Zarif, to stress the need for a thorough investigation into the crash — one that included Canada.

The Transportation Safety Board has also assigned an expert to monitor the progress of the Iranian investigation, but it is unclear whether that investigator will benefit from first-hand Iranian information or be forced to rely on other countries.

In addition to Champagne's direct appeal to Tehran, Canada is also relying on allies such as Italy, Britain, France and Ukraine to ensure a thorough investigation of the crash, the prime minister said.

"I am confident that we are going to be able to be part of the investigation. That is certainly something that we take very seriously," Trudeau told a Parliament Hill news conference. "We are going to make sure that we are a substantive contributor to this investigation."

The Ukraine International Airlines Boeing 737-800, bound for Kyiv, crashed shortly after taking off from the Iranian capital early Wednesday local time, killing all 176 people on board, including at least 63 Canadians.

Hopefully, these efforts are successful. As a country, we owe it to the relatives of the victims to know how/why they died.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

I hope Canada and Trudeau, make a very strong effort to get impartial investigation, to find out what really happened.

Ukraine investigators considering possibility that missile brought down passenger plane over Tehran

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/ukraine-flight-was-on-fire-in-air-and-returning-to-tehran-at-time-of-crash-iran-investigators-say/2020/01/09/9b27434c-3244-11ea-971b-43bec3ff9860_story.html

It's quite possible.  It has happened in the past.  In 1988, a US missile shot down a Iran passenger plane.  290 people died.

19 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

These types are all the same, con people into believing that because they are "alternative" news, they are more factual. Then their followers go around touting these garbage sources as the truth and how they are so woke and against the mainstream media who's too scared to tell the truth. These sources are always far-right biased with a non-existent relationship with integrity. 

I do admire their dedication to getting rich. Sometimes I wonder if I should just start a far-right conspiracy news site and rake in the cash :lol:.

I think the biggest tell for this guy is the fact that he promotes himself as the alternative to the Drudge Report. When Matt Drudge isn't fan enough right for you....:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, ItsAllOursBoys said:

"We report the truth - and leave the Russia-Collusion fairytale to the Conspiracy Media".

This publication was sued for falsely implicating an innocent person in the 2017 Las Vegas shooting, and falsely identified a Michigan man as the driver of the vehicle that killed the woman during the Charlottesville riots.

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/374412-man-misidentified-as-charlottesville-driver-sues-far-right-websites

Great source.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, gurn said:

It tells me that a lot of people like to jump to conclusions, usually because it is the only exercise they get, other than their typing fingers.

I don't see how it is jumping to conclusions. I just find it a bit suspicious that they wont release the findings of what data is held inside the black boxes. If it was truly a mechanical failure they would want to broadcast that to the world.

EDIT: Did not see the above new before my post.. timely.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

'The US increasingly believes that Iran mistakenly shot down a Ukrainian airliner on Wednesday, according to multiple US officials. The working theory is based on continuing analysis of data from satellites, radar and electronic data collected routinely by US military and intelligence."

The working theory.... I wouldn't put it past the US military and their officials to falsify reports to deflect blame.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gurn said:

strange how 'The Americans increasingly believe" becomes   "the plane WAS shot down".

At the end of this, there is a good chance that we will indeed find out that the plane was shot down given the circumstances.

Just gonna wait for the black box report that'll hopefully come. 

• Thanks 2

Still no evidence to back up this claim.

the earlier story on CNN was based on the fact that Ukraine was investigating a missile strike as one of the possible causes for the crash.....now BBC reports that "US media" believes it was a missile strike and all of a sudden, it's "fact".

It's not.

It may turn out that Iran shot down it's own plane, mistakenly believing it was under attack, but as it sits right now, we know exactly as much as we did yesterday.

• Upvote 2