Canucks Community

Did Tampa Provide Tactics To Dismantle Nucks Team D Structure

Rate this topic

coastal.view

7 hours ago, coastal.view said:

so tampa ventilated the nucks team

scored 9 goals

players gave up a bit as the game went on

is this just a blip after a 7 game winning streak?

reminds me of a game years ago

when nucks team was doing fairly well

wd was the coach

nyr played the nucks (av was their coach)

and av dismantled the d system nucks were using at the time

afterwards other teams copied his approach

and the nucks never recovered or adjusted effectively

the nucks team d system was dismantled by the lightening

is this something only a team of tampa's talent can implement

or does the nuck team have to alter their d system now

after having weaknesses exposed by tampa?

we'll know soon enough

let's see how the next 3 to 5 games go

then we'll know how good the current coaches really are

We have played a lot of games similar to this. Only, almost, luck decides how many goals we let in. 

Like goal 5 and 6 that Marky couldn't do anything about. A bounce of a post in the first and lots of bodies in the way on the second. Then Marky gets pulled without playing bad... Marky has saved us in lots of similar games this and last season.

So I can't agree that they dismantled our team D system. 

They were only better to bury the chances they got and had a little bit of luck. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, xereau said:

The Canucks' rinky dink midget level 5 man collapse system

+

Tampas speed and puck handling skill

=

that absolute crapshow from the other night.

We all got to see exactly the level at which our coach operates: base.

Of course it's the coach's fault... and who's get the credit for the 7 games winning streak before that? Green Men? Hockey Gods? The Sedin's?

I mean, I'm not a Green fan at all, but come on!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Every team employs tactics, they just took advantage of the mistakes and rode the momentum to a blowout.

If they had some secret kryptonite the first period wouldnt have looked like it did.

It's a loss, dont get silly over it. That was a tough read too OP - consider some form of formatting next time

• Cheers 1

1 heavy defeat after 7 wins.... and we are starting to wonder if we have been found out?

I think the question is fair, however I think we ought to see if there's a trend, or it was one of these defeat that happens, when the majority of the team just mail it in...

Part of learning that nothing comes for free in this league...

Wait until there is a trend, before we start worry about it....

For too many we are either Cup champs or league chumps... it's a process...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Myers, Fantenberg and Marky were awful.   Edler was off but it was one of those Edler things and we're better with than without him.  Took a crushing hit too.

Tampa's going all in again and, by the time they hit the playoffs, will have already celebrated the cup, drank all the champagne and be hungover as hell.  Someone get a broom.

I'm giving Marky a pass.  He has 3 or 4 more "get out of jail free" cards for previous performances where he earned them.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Fire green crew back in town? :emot-parrot:

I ate crow during the 7 game winning streak, but my analysis of how the team has been playing hasn't changed. The winning streak, coupled with some stellar goaltending has greatly masked the teams lack of defense. (Defensive system, not players).

Throughout the streak we've been giving up a ton of shots and have only got out of those games by the skin of marky and demko, we all knew it wasn't sustainable.

I do think Green has been improving (using timeouts appropriately finally) but Nolan bumgardner has been a total disaster. Nothing has changed. It was a mistake hiring a rookie coach and bringing along a rookie assistant. 

Is there a chance Green stays and Nolan goes if the team keeps getting hemmed in their own zone? Do both go? Or will we continue to put up 3-5 goals a game and hope marky or demko can shut the door at an unbelievable rate?

• Cheers 1

50 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Of course it's the coach's fault... and who's get the credit for the 7 games winning streak before that? Green Men? Hockey Gods? The Sedin's?

I don't think anyone has said fire Green but he has to grow/change the way he coaches to take pressure off the D , and to use the pests on the team the way they should be , would help that but we're to busy playing it safe and passing up hits to play the puck instead. 

I'm not a green fan either but the D system hasn't worked for awhile didn't Gubby make a comment about how different it was to play a different D system that works...(I'm paralyzingly acourse) 

The Lightning weren't that calculating.

We were simply on the wrong side of momentum after our streak. 

Tampa's a talented team that's just now coming together. Stamkos had early production struggles along with Brayden Point. They're both now playing to their talent. Killorn has been super hot. After being relatively inconsistent and underperforming early this year, Vasilevskiy has also found his game in net.

We just ran into a team that was still elevating their game. Tampa had an extra gear whereas we hit our wall.

Had we played them earlier in our streak, say the third game, we might have been able to match them better in momentum. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

a lot of strong opinions on this issue i see

most seem unhappy the subject is even being raised

when a team gets shellacked that also indicates that the systems failed

i don't have a strong view on whether the nucks are at a crossroads here

it simply reminded me of an earlier game years ago against nyr

i believe it was in wd first season .. i can go back and check my posts

as i specifically commented on this at that time

and the nucks never recovered after that game

i mostly need 3 to 5 games to see if this tampa game was a 1 off

or the start of a trend of how other teams attack the nuck team d

you can bet teams were having a look at how the nucks were playing

when they won 7 in a row

the game today, florida, may provide some more info

but i think it will take a small stretch of games to know

• Upvote 1

What structure are you referring to? We have no structure because we keep mixing 

and matching. This team proved with that loss we are WAY WAYYYY off from being a legit

playoff team. Myers is on the ice for like 4-5 of those goals and hes considered to be one

of our better Dmen. We have almost zero defensive structure throughout the team because

we have a terrible coach and a terrible assistant coach. 

Teams that are playoff bound do not have to mix lines the way we do. We had an easy

month to win some should win games and now that we are actually tested we were 

exposed for the weak defensive team that we are. Are we fun to watch and scoring 

some goals yes! But we have literally nothing else going for us;

We arent tough.

We dont hit anybody.

We have sh itty Dmen.

We lack a true NHL caliber coach.

We lack the ability to change tactics on the fly.

Markstrom chokes under pressure.

I love were this team is going but last game showed us some issues that have been GLARING issues 

since the start of the season. A soon as this team faces any sort of adversity in another team that is 

actually geared towards the playoffs not some middling team, we fold. Not because we lack forwards 

with character and skill but because that is ALL we have.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, timberz21 said:

The same system won them the last games, but they were outshot 2:1 in most of the team held on by the skin of their asses.

The system sucks man, and it's very likely to get worse now that Tampa's shown the league how to embarrass us.

Any team with speed and puck handling prowess is going to continue to crush this team, as they have all season.

You do not need to be a Green fan to see that the passive defensive system is a pathetic lowbrow joke.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, coastal.view said:

the nucks team d system was dismantled by the lightening

Pretty bad take there, wadr.  Look at the goals that were scored -- Myers flub and one Marky should have stopped, then came the deluge.  Bad bounces, no-call on interference, and missed saves.  That blew the game open in the space of 1 minute and it was all over.  Not a whole lot that that can be taken from that game imo.

4 minutes ago, xereau said:

The same system won them the last games, but they were outshot 2:1 in most of the team held on by the skin of their asses.

Seemingly omitted in all the celebratory happiness.

The system sucks man, and it's very likely to get worse now that Tampa's shown the league how to embarrass us.

Today's game will be telling. Florida has the horses to make it happen, and a coach who is a master tactician.

Any team with speed and puck handling prowess is going to continue to crush this team, as they have all season.

Especially since Vancouver can't maintain a consistent level physicality to combat it, and the defensive systems are woefully predictable.

You do not need to be a Green fan to see that the passive defensive system is a pathetic lowbrow joke.

Well said.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gaudette Celly said:

Pretty bad take there, wadr.  Look at the goals that were scored -- Myers flub and one Marky should have stopped, then came the deluge.  Bad bounces, no-call on interference, and missed saves.  That blew the game open in the space of 1 minute and it was all over.  Not a whole lot that that can be taken from that game imo.

right

just a whole lot of bad luck

is that you matt murray?? :P

22 minutes ago, xereau said:

I'm not arguing anything about Green or the system.

Just think it's a little too easy and simplistic to attribute this beating to that and from now on, the Canucks will give up 6+ goals to any good team.   Unless we see a trend coming in the next few weeks, that game remains just a bad game and we move on.  I mean Washington has given up 7 goals and NYI 8 goals in a game this year and both are low goal against team and they haven't been "expose" because of these games.

18 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

I'm not arguing anything about Green or the system.

Just think it's a little too easy and simplistic to attribute this beating to that and from now on, the Canucks will give up 6+ goals to any good team.   Unless we see a trend coming in the next few weeks, that game remains just a bad game and we move on.  I mean Washington has given up 7 goals and NYI 8 goals in a game this year and both are low goal against team and they haven't been "expose" because of these games.

It was a few things all coming together to pile on, like bad goal tending, and guys giving up, but I am certain that the root of the problem is quite literally having the strategy of allowing the other team nearly unfettered access to your offensive zone. The team goes to the middle of the ice. They block shots, and they interrupt passes, and the strategy which is being coached into them daily, is to not chase and to not take the man once the other team has set up. And they let the other team set up, because, their defensive system, entails going to the middle of the ice, which creates vicious circle of problematic parts of a system, that feeds back upon itself. Giving away the puck as a system? I freaking hate it, man. It's 'a' system, and other teams are doing it some as well. But its not the only system, and I find it hard to watch because it's quite frankly little more than board room nerds' statistical theories being played out on ice, rather than hockey. It reeks on many levels, and I could go on, but I won't.

Edited by xereau