The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Neil Peart..Rush drummer..dead at 67.

Honky Cat

One of the greatest drummers ever, definitely in the top five though lists are fluid and personal things. 

I had no idea he had cancer, &^@#. What an absolute loss for the music world and the world in general. He possessed truly rare talent. 

RIP. :( 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I am sure you guys watched the HBO doc. where on the final show he finally joined the rest of the band for a salute, the reaction from the rest of the band was priceless.  Didn't know he lost his daughter and wife in '97.  I got to read his book one day.

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

One of the greatest drummers ever, definitely in the top five though lists are fluid and personal things. 

I had no idea he had cancer, &^@#. What an absolute loss for the music world and the world in general. He possessed truly rare talent. 

RIP. :( 

He was an intensely private man. It honestly would not shock me to hear if he did not tell his former band mates and just went about his battle quietly.

Edited by nuckin_futz

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

He was an intensely private man. It honestly would not shock me to hear he did not tell his former band mates and just went about his battle quietly.

I can believe it, Rush are icons in Canada and I honestly can't remember hearing a peep about him having cancer. On social media or anywhere. 

Rush's great complex music reaches so far out in the world. I'll be honest, I've never heard of Mr. Peart, but I've definitely heard of Rush and their style of music. You know the heart of so many of those crazy rhythms and time signatures had to be the drummer. Respect to one of the best who inspired so many. 

36 minutes ago, sonoman said:

I only met Neil Peart once, but it was a lovely meeting indeed. I had flown to LA to work on Brian Wilson’s Gershwin record in December 2009 and while I was at the hotel the night before the sessions began, I received an email and photo from Jimmy Johnson (our long time guitar tech, and Neil’s long time friend and Rush crew member). Jimmy said, “Neil just sent me this picture of his hockey drum kit. He’s recording the Canadian Hockey Night Theme with it in LA tomorrow.” 

When I walked into Ocean Way Studios the next morning, Sabian cymbal artist rep, Chris Stankee, was in the lobby. I gave him a hug and asked him what he was doing there and he said was looking after Neil. He suggested we should say hi to him now as they were about to get to work in the studio next to the one where I would be working, so I dropped off my cymbals and grabbed a bagel (I was hungry) and off we went to the next studio over from Brian’s.

There was the hockey kit, the actual Stanley Cup, a full big band and an entire film crew. We shook hands and chatted, I congratulated him on his new young daughter, and as I remember— he was the one that was asking me all the questions. He wanted to know about working with Brian Wilson, what that was like, etc.  We brought up many mutual friends (Lawrence Gowan, Jimmy Johnson) and as we were chatting, I noticed the whole room was ready and waiting for us (me) to stop talking so they could all get to work. I said to Neil, “Well, looks like I should be on my way and let you all get to business!”  Chris then snapped a photo of us (bagel still in hand) and off I went. He was incredibly warm, personable, curious, and felt we could have kept the conversation going had it not been for 30 people waiting to get to work.

He had his own voice on the instrument but even more, he had his own literary voice. Lyrically unique, and he lived through such unimaginable tragedy and ultimately came out the other side to continue his life passionately.

In particular 2112 through Signals loomed large in my childhood. I learned every single note of Moving Pictures when I was in 6th grade. That record still can catapult me back to those days.  I was truly grateful to have a few quality minutes with the man. I wish there had been more.  Every story I ever heard about the guys in Rush, and I’ve heard a lot, all really portrays them as wonderful, exemplary human beings. My condolences to Neil’s family, musical family, road family, and his friends.  RIP.

4D997288-DA15-4077-8A13-1465525266EA.jpeg

That was an awesome read and you weren't lying about that bagel!  

• Cheers 1