The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] (Trade) better now and in the future. Van trades to help add leadership and grit

6 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I think Weber is worth his weight in gold but contending teams that would be perfect for him can't  afford him and switching ristlo for Weber is a better piece for the future cause right now Weber's value like you said is high but what about the rest of that contract....I think that's the part you under value how bad his contract is. 

My bad I forgot he didn't miss any time after his surgery....

he also plays a style that doesn't age well which lower his value on the contract he is on. 

He is paid on on par with several other 1D. ( If he ends up returning it’s Nashville that gets hurt. It’s not a 35+ contract so there’s no issue with him retiring.  His contract really isn’t much on an issue 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

He is paid on on par with several other 1D. ( If he ends up returning it’s Nashville that gets hurt. It’s not a 35+ contract so there’s no issue with him retiring.  His contract really isn’t much on an issue 

Your forgetting right now Weber is what 33 or 34? And how old will he be when his contract is over?  You think he will still be worth his price tag when his older? 

i could see Montreal trying to move price and Weber cause their ages don't fit their time frame. 

7 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Your forgetting right now Weber is what 33 or 34? And how old will he be when his contract is over?  You think he will still be worth his price tag when his older? 

i could see Montreal trying to move price and Weber cause their ages don't fit their time frame. 

I’m not forgetting his age.  He’s well worth his contract right now and likely will be for at least a few more years.  His salary drops to $1m in 23/24. If he’s not playing to his potential at that point he’ll probably pull a Luongo and retire.  Nashville gets screwed but there’s no downside to Montreal.  So like I said. His contract isn’t much of an issue.  He’s worth a lot right now and what you suggested is terrible for Montreal 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m not forgetting his age.  He’s well worth his contract right now and likely will be for at least a few more years.  His salary drops to $1m in 23/24. If he’s not playing to his potential at that point he’ll probably pull a Luongo and retire.  Nashville gets screwed but there’s no downside to Montreal.  So like I said. His contract isn’t much of an issue.  He’s worth a lot right now and what you suggested is terrible for Montreal 

Okay Ristlo and breezer for Weber and a second...

trade second and B level prospect to get rid of Loui...

that better? 

Or what you think?

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I don’t think they add a 2nd. I think it’s Weber straight up. 

It throws off the cap keeping Loui but moving Brock and tanev and the rest of the pieces I mentioned , the numbers would still work out cause Weber and forsberg alone would be 13 mill or around so. 

If we could find a taker for sutter and Sven , we would have more then enough room. 

25 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

It throws off the cap keeping Loui but moving Brock and tanev and the rest of the pieces I mentioned , the numbers would still work out cause Weber and forsberg alone would be 13 mill or around so. 

If we could find a taker for sutter and Sven , we would have more then enough room. 

Nashville is not trading Forsberg unless they get a better player in return - not multiple lesser pieces or unknown futures.  On the Canucks that's Pettersson. No one else would make it worthwhile for them to consider.  

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Nashville is not trading Forsberg unless they get a better player in return - not multiple lesser pieces or unknown futures.  On the Canucks that's Pettersson. No one else would make it worthwhile for them to consider.  

Well you sure about that? Nashville said they were open for business and wanted picks.....also who they going to give up to mix things up? 

Ryan johansson costed them Seth Jones and Nashville finally got a number one centre so his off the table and same goes for Matt D can't spell his last name off the top of my head. 

Kyle turris doesn't really have an value, so again I ask who do you trade to mix things up?

a winger is easier to replace then centres 

Edited by RowdyCanuck
Grammar

47 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Well you sure about that? Nashville said they were open for business and wanted picks.....also who they going to give up to mix things up? 

Ryan johansson costed them Seth Jones and Nashville finally got a number one centre so his off the table and same goes for Matt D can't spell his last name off the top of my head. 

Kyle turris doesn't really have an value, so again I ask who do you trade to mix things up?

a winger is easier to replace then centres 

I listened to that interview where he talked about being possibly sellers, as well as the presser after he fired Laviolette.  There is no indication that he wants a shake-up of their core.  He talks of how he wants to keep the band together.  He fired Laviolette because he doesn't want to move players.  

If they are out of the playoffs they would obviously be looking to sell their pending UFAs like any other team. That's Granlund, Smith, Hamhuis, Irwin, Weber.  The Predators window is now - Poile talked about that.  He really likes their group and hopes they get back to playing to their potential.  Hynes also runs a different system than Laviolette and he'll probably want to see what they can do under a different system. 

He did say that if anyone is too comfortable he would do something about it - he's pointing the finger at guys who stopped playing with heart.  He also says that everyone has a clean slate.    

Poile insisted that he really did not want to trade Jones but that they needed a C1 if they wanted to become contenders - he had been looking for one for close to 20 years.  

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

That's not what I meant and Shea Weber and F Forsberg are up grades over Chris tanev and Brock arnt they?

Granted, I don't really see Forsberg play that much, but I'm not convinced Forsberg is an upgrade on Boeser, tbh... similar ppg, but Forsberg is 3 years older, and weren't we trying to get younger? Petey and Boeser already have chemistry, especially with Millsy on their line. Forsberg... not sure if would it be worth the risk, just from unknown line chemistry standpoint, and I don't think Benning would be willing to move a piece like Boeser.

Weber over Tanev? Yeah, but he's a UFA after this season, I don't really think he's getting much of a raise (likely make less, if anything) or a NMC/NTC, and we'd probably have to give up something we have for our future to get Weber. Not a fan of Weber's pricetag either (though the same could be said of a couple of our current D). Same point as above with the age difference too. 

Edited by Chickenspear

26 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Granted, I don't really see Forsberg play that much, but I'm not convinced Forsberg is an upgrade on Boeser, tbh... similar ppg, but Forsberg is 3 years older, and weren't we trying to get younger? Petey and Boeser already have chemistry, especially with Millsy on their line. Forsberg... not sure if would it be worth the risk, just from unknown line chemistry standpoint, and I don't think Benning would be willing to move a piece like Boeser. Granted, I don't really see Forsberg play that much.

Weber over Tanev? Yeah, but he's a UFA after this season, I don't really think he's getting much of a raise (likely make less, if anything) or a NMC/NTC, and we'd probably have to give up something we have for our future to get Weber. Not a fan of Weber's pricetag either (though the same could be said of a couple of our current D). Same point as above with the age difference too. 

The reason I'm high on Forsberg is cause he does almost everything Brock does but has better skating and might add Forsberg is more of a play driver...( also brock worries me cause we haven't seen that slapper as much and I think right now is what you get with Brock , his skating hasn't improved in the time his been in the league , everything else has improved but his skating) 

Forsberg does make use older but his been to a cup final and also he would take a lil pressure off all the young guys , kinda like what Miller has done. 

Also if the trades went down the way I said we would have Dylan cousins, VP and kole Lind as right wing depth and that's not even mentioning the guys already on the roster. Or who Jim would draft with the extra picks.....

also guys like Shea Weber are a dying breed and they don't come on the market often and also his a leader like we need....his a true warrior like Pronger. 

Also if we make the playoffs , I'm sorry but Hughes and tanev is way to soft and Weber adds not just leadership but a guy that can play nasty and has a big cannon of a shot, picture Hughes passes going to that cannon, he would also watch out for Hughes. 

So Weber adds more then tanev and like I stated it wouldn't cripple us. 

I didn't even touch hoglander ,cousins , madden , woo, Rathbone, Lind and VP. 

Also even with said trades, would it hurt yes but we would have two extra firsts not counting the one going to the lighting and if Jim decided to keep this years picks and give Nashville next season years first.....

so Jim would add two first round talents in one year so making up for not having a first next year..... So what are we losing? Brock and demko are really the only pieces that hurt but we add better pieces to make us deeper and we have prospects that show promise and forsberg holding the spot until one of them show their ready same goes for Weber. 

Picture Weber giving a player like Jett Woo tips,

picture forsberg helping petey in the same way. 

58 minutes ago, mll said:

I listened to that interview where he talked about being possibly sellers, as well as the presser after he fired Laviolette.  There is no indication that he wants a shake-up of their core.  He talks of how he wants to keep the band together.  He fired Laviolette because he doesn't want to move players.  

If they are out of the playoffs they would obviously be looking to sell their pending UFAs like any other team. That's Granlund, Smith, Hamhuis, Irwin, Weber.  The Predators window is now - Poile talked about that.  He really likes their group and hopes they get back to playing to their potential.  Hynes also runs a different system than Laviolette and he'll probably want to see what they can do under a different system. 

He did say that if anyone is too comfortable he would do something about it - he's pointing the finger at guys who stopped playing with heart.  He also says that everyone has a clean slate.    

Poile insisted that he really did not want to trade Jones but that they needed a C1 if they wanted to become contenders - he had been looking for one for close to 20 years.  

Why you think he wants picks? 

Picks make bringing in new talent a lot easier and pollie knows this and that's why his looking for picks, I agree it would take a steep price to get forsberg but his Worth it.

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Canucks are not trading Boeser.   The rest is moot.

Why not? 

Guad can shoot a good one timer from the same position and Forsberg would be an up grade in my books. 

Like I said Brock has gotten better every year but his skating holds him back and also when's the last time you seen his shot from his rookie year? 

Also Brock is a goal scorer isn't he? He should have more goals then assits right now playing with a play maker like petey.....

Also Forsberg has shown he can actually play a full 82 games and shown he can be a consist 30 goal scorer and maybe with petey and Miller , forsberg could reach 40 goals, also Forsberg plays both wings....so I would say that gives us more options , when it comes to lines. 

I would love to bring Forsberg in and keep Brock but if I have to pick.....I'm taking the guy that can skate cause when the time comes and he loses a step he can still play ,. Brock loses a step and it will be like watching iggy's last season. 

59 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

The reason I'm high on Forsberg is cause he does almost everything Brock does but has better skating and might add Forsberg is more of a play driver...( also brock worries me cause we haven't seen that slapper as much and I think right now is what you get with Brock , his skating hasn't improved in the time his been in the league , everything else has improved but his skating) 

Forsberg does make use older but his been to a cup final and also he would take a lil pressure off all the young guys , kinda like what Miller has done. 

Also if the trades went down the way I said we would have Dylan cousins, VP and kole Lind as right wing depth and that's not even mentioning the guys already on the roster. Or who Jim would draft with the extra picks.....

also guys like Shea Weber are a dying breed and they don't come on the market often and also his a leader like we need....his a true warrior like Pronger. 

Also if we make the playoffs , I'm sorry but Hughes and tanev is way to soft and Weber adds not just leadership but a guy that can play nasty and has a big cannon of a shot, picture Hughes passes going to that cannon, he would also watch out for Hughes. 

So Weber adds more then tanev and like I stated it wouldn't cripple us. 

I didn't even touch hoglander ,cousins , madden , woo, Rathbone, Lind and VP. 

Also even with said trades, would it hurt yes but we would have two extra firsts not counting the one going to the lighting and if Jim decided to keep this years picks and give Nashville next season years first.....

so Jim would add two first round talents in one year so making up for not having a first next year..... So what are we losing? Brock and demko are really the only pieces that hurt but we add better pieces to make us deeper and we have prospects that show promise and forsberg holding the spot until one of them show their ready same goes for Weber. 

Picture Weber giving a player like Jett Woo tips,

picture forsberg helping petey in the same way. 

Lol, had quite a lengthy reply including your OP, but hit a wrong button and it disappeared. So f it, you get a condensed version.

I'm not disagreeing that Forsberg is a top tier F, nor am I saying Tanev is better than Weber. Weber is definitely one of those rare D that anyone would love to have on their team, for all those reasons you've pointed out (and I agree). I just think it's bad timing to take a piece of our young core at this stage of the rebuild, especially for older players. Edler and Tanev have also been to the SC Finals, multiple playoff series, and have all the playoff experience that Weber/Forsberg have. Maybe Weber DOES go on LTIR after a few years, but that's no guarantee. We do have veteran players on the team who I'm sure are constantly feeding the younger stars advice (Beagle, Sutter etc...)

Edited by Chickenspear

35 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Lol, had quite a lengthy reply including your OP, but hit a wrong button and it disappeared. So f it, you get a condensed version.

I'm not disagreeing that Forsberg is a top tier F, nor am I saying Tanev is better than Weber. Weber is definitely one of those rare D that anyone would love to have on their team, for all those reasons you've pointed out (and I agree). I just think it's bad timing to take a piece of our young core at this stage of the rebuild, especially for older players. Edler and Tanev have also been to the SC Finals, multiple playoff series, and have all the playoff experience that Weber/Forsberg have. Maybe Weber DOES go on LTIR after a few years, but that's no guarantee. We do have veteran players on the team who I'm sure are constantly feeding the younger stars advice (Beagle, Sutter etc...)

Bad timing? I think it is kinda the perfect time cause we haven't signed any big deals yet likes petey' s and Hughes. 

Also I have a hard time seeing Brock resigned at his price right now I can live with but his next contract not so much. 

I would agree taking a core piece away wouldn't be my first choice but Brock's stock is high right now and it's not like you're not  adding pieces, we will have a place holder and hopefully a replacement in VP or Cousins....

also we have seen Eagles leadership and tanevs and I would say Weber would help bring out the nasty side of this team in theory, something nether of those two do and that's what we need , we need another warrior help our young guys just like Miller has. 

Also Forsberg is a legit top liner and having a guy that has been a star on another team might help petey and the guys, that's something we don't have have on our current roster also Forsberg is 25 , young enough to be part of the core for acouple years atleast. 

I agree we have good vets but nothing like Weber or Forsberg, 

also the reason i would do this now is cause we have the cap room(by cap room I mean it starts to free up in the next couple years) if we move bodies out and also Weber is pretty much the perfect partner for Hughes and I think Hughes could stretch out Weber's playing days , kinda like chara and how they always put a puck moving D with him. 

Edit* This way our young stars wouldnt have to deal with the pressure just on their shoulders cause Weber and Forsberg would pick up more then their share. Means we are arnt relying on just young guys to push or drive the bus

Edited by RowdyCanuck
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Bad timing? I think it is kinda the perfect time cause we haven't signed any big deals yet likes petey' s and Hughes. 

Also I have a hard time seeing Brock resigned at his price right now I can live with but his next contract not so much. 

I would agree taking a core piece away wouldn't be my first choice but Brock's stock is high right now and it's not like you're not  adding pieces, we will have a place holder and hopefully a replacement in VP or Cousins....

also we have seen Eagles leadership and tanevs and I would say Weber would help bring out the nasty side of this team in theory, something nether of those two do and that's what we need , we need another warrior help our young guys just like Miller has. 

Also Forsberg is a legit top liner and having a guy that has been a star on another team might help petey and the guys, that's something we don't have have on our current roster also Forsberg is 25 , young enough to be part of the core for acouple years atleast. 

I agree we have good vets but nothing like Weber or Forsberg, 

also the reason i would do this now is cause we have the cap room(by cap room I mean it starts to free up in the next couple years) if we move bodies out and also Weber is pretty much the perfect partner for Hughes and I think Hughes could stretch out Weber's playing days , kinda like chara and how they always put a puck moving D with him. 

Fair enough. Btw, Cozens, not cousins... when I read the op the first time, thought you were taking about nick cousins from mtl , lol.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Fair enough. Btw, Cozens, not cousins... when I read the op the first time, thought you were taking about nick cousins from mtl , lol.

Cheers and thx autocorrect, I hate it but it's handy but damn does it suck with hockey players names ha

ill fix the op. Ha 

and good points man , it all comes down to each their own at the end of the day or until they make me the GM of the Canucks lmfao 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

Why not? 

Guad can shoot a good one timer from the same position and Forsberg would be an up grade in my books. 

Like I said Brock has gotten better every year but his skating holds him back and also when's the last time you seen his shot from his rookie year? 

Also Brock is a goal scorer isn't he? He should have more goals then assits right now playing with a play maker like petey.....

Also Forsberg has shown he can actually play a full 82 games and shown he can be a consist 30 goal scorer and maybe with petey and Miller , forsberg could reach 40 goals, also Forsberg plays both wings....so I would say that gives us more options , when it comes to lines. 

I would love to bring Forsberg in and keep Brock but if I have to pick.....I'm taking the guy that can skate cause when the time comes and he loses a step he can still play ,. Brock loses a step and it will be like watching iggy's last season. 

Your proposal belongs in a video game.

If you don't know why I will explain it to you:

1. You do not take the other teams into consideration of what their needs are at all.

2. You just throw names around like Risto and Weber like those teams are just going to magically give up what the Canucks want for whatever we are gracious enough to give them.

3. You propose three large trades....please tell us when the last time one team made three major trades in a short period of time.

4.  Pretty sure you did not consider the cap at all.

etc.....

Edited by Kanukfanatic