The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL redraft, Pettersson goes 1st overall. Benning era best drafting in Canucks history

Rate this topic

cuporbust

7 hours ago, Metal Face Doom said:

Sure, but things got better when Linden left.

true. I always thought he was more of a figurehead anyway so you'd think they could have redefined some roles? dunno. He'll get a nice ovation I'm sure when he comes back for the legends night later this year. 

• Cheers 1

There’s one thing I’ve learnt over the last couple years with the draft. Never question JB’s pick. We have been blessed with great amateur scouting. I think some fans seem to forget that and I feel are a bit spoiled with the immediate impact we’ve had with some of these picks.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

There’s one thing I’ve learnt over the last couple years with the draft. Never question JB’s pick. We have been blessed with great amateur scouting. I think some fans seem to forget that and I feel are a bit spoiled with the immediate impact we’ve had with some of these picks.

I think it has a lot to do with how he analyzes the probability of them making similar plays to the NHL. A lot of kids are great in junior making effective plays for junior, but not effective plays for the NHL. 

• Cheers 2

My picks would have been MT,  Glass,  Bouchard, Podz (hinted he could slip to us before the draft - glad he did).    That's why he's paid the big bucks.   Yep JB is punching above his weight class, and our re-build is one or two years ahead of where it should he if he was an average drafter.  No complaints whatsoever.   BB is currently the fourth best R winger...- and guys want to trade him come on really?

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 1/11/2020 at 6:00 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

right now he's on pace for 22 goals, 44 pits... if he can reach that 50 point mark I think thats worth a 1st round selection. Whats exciting too is his play away from the puck, he seems to have finally figured that out and become a complete player. 

Miller lite...

Miller has had a huge impact on this roster.  Damn some folks really need to eat some crow, but I digress, Miller is showing everyone how to play.  

Tuna, Shotgun Jake... now Miller lite.  

• Cheers 3

23 hours ago, Canucks Curse said:

where would Hughes go in a re-draft? 650 broadcast team were saying how they like him more than dahlin. I think he would possibly go number 2-3, Brady is a great player, but Quinn can control a game. Svechnikov is a stud tho, he'd go number 1.

Jakey starting to look like a top 6 forward. 

Boess was a steal at 23. 

Gaudette, demko, tryamkin were great picks.

then there is a whole legion of guys who look poised for good to great NHL careers- dipietro, Lind, pod, hogs, madden, rathbone, I think OJ will play in the nhl.

while they are no longer playing for us, McCann and forsling are also nhl'ers

2014- NHL Draft- he pick 7 players, 5 have played in the nhl - that's amazing

2015- 3/7 (and maybe Jasek will play) 

2016-his worst draft, currently 0/7 but OJ will probably play at least some in the nhl. I am doubtful of Lockwood, but who knows

2017- Pettersson  is a star and dipietro have already played games and lind and rathbone are likely to play, maybe gadjo, could end up being another 5/7 draft

2018- hughes is a star, madden looks exciting and woo and utunen may play in the nhl as last pairing d, could be 4/6 but more likely 2/6

2019- podz and high look like the only guys who will play in the nhl here (2/9)

projected success 2/9+2/6+4/8+1/7+3/7+5/7 = 17/44 = 38% success rate at drafting.

3/9 in 2019.  

Ethan Keppen has some moxie to his game.  He was a potential steal forma 4th rounder and has been referred too as Podz 2.0.  

The Firebirds were terrible last year and he still had a credible draft year with 30g.  

He is huge 6'2 210 at 17 and can skate really well North South.  A fair shot at becoming a very good 3rd line forward.  

Jack Malone is got some potential.  

Edited by Phat Fingers

28 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

3/9 in 2019.  

Ethan Keppen has some moxie to his game.  He was a potential steal forma 4th rounder and has been referred too as Podz 2.0.  

The Firebirds were terrible last year and he still had a credible draft year with 30g.  

He is huge 6'2 210 at 17 and can skate really well North South.  A fair shot at becoming a very good 3rd line forward.  

Jack Malone is got some potential.  

I also like Aiden mcdonaugh quite a bit, he is having a great freshman year at Northeastern with madden.

I think outside of the 2nd round Aiden has the best shot at the nhl, I liked silos but his game has dropped off since November, we was a really strong in the ohl til then...

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Have to agree. I would say next best was Hansen, awfully good player for 29th pick in the 9th round.

Edit: Just looked up Honey Badger's stats. He was drafted 287th overall in 2004. Of all the players drafted that year, he was 22nd in games played, 22nd in points, 18th in goals, 12th in game winning goals and 9th in plus minus. And that wasn't a weak draft - Ovi and Malkin at the top and quite a few good players after them.

Two very fair arguments.  

On 1/11/2020 at 2:04 PM, 112 said:

Bure in the 6th round was decent value.

22 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Not even close. Pavel Bure was the best draft pick in franchise history for where we got him.

One could argue that Bieksa and Edler are up there too.

Considering other teams didn't even think he was eligible and therefore didn't pick him earlier that year, I think lots of luck was involved in picking Bure in the 6th. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

22 hours ago, Chris12345 said:

Not even close. Pavel Bure was the best draft pick in franchise history for where we got him.

One could argue that Bieksa and Edler are up there too.

Pavel Bure could be the best steal in NHL history if it was t for Lucky Luke.  The Red Wings fought that pick all the way, they were furious as they thought he wasn't eligible.  Kinda greedy on their part seeing as who they drafted that year going all in on the perestroika 

23 hours ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I will say Jim is probably best drafting GM we have had since Burke.....

@Cup2022 what's funny? 

Jim has picked some great prospects but that's what they are right now. 

Burke on the other hand drafted the Sedins , Kesler , Juice and didn't he draft edler too? Not mention he signed burrows. Burke pretty much built two cores while he was here. ( pretty much the core that went to the cup was Burkes and can't forget the WCE days)

so  Burke has well we all know what the sedins did and Kesler won the selke. 

Remind me what has Jim's picks won again?

So Jim still has a lil ways to go before getting ahead of Burke in my books. 

Don't get me wrong, I think jims picks will turn out better but going by facts ,Burke is still the better.....