The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sunday Moring Proposals (proposals/Discussion)...aka Funnies

I love the team, and think we have a great future. But I am feeling we are a little Small/Light for the playoffs. Maybe it is more lack of aggression? I don't know, but after watching the Calgary/Edmonton game last night, I am wondering if our team could handle playing a series like that, let a lone 16 to 28 playoff games like that?

So, I would like to revamp our team a little to ready them for our the next 10 years...…………..

Trades...………..

#1. Rasmus Ristolainen  for Tyler Myers...………...pretty much a saw off in talent, but I think Ristolainen plays a heavier game, and is injured less

#2. Adam Fox for Tyler Madden...…………………..Big risk for both teams, but the Canucks need a Offensive RHD, the NYR have too many Offensive RHD

#3. Jordan Greenway  for Demko...………………...Both considered future core pieces, by their teams

#4, Chris Tanev for Cody Ceci + 2nd...……………..Change of guard...…..with Ristolainen, Tryamkin and Fox coming in

#5. Cody Ceci for Dallas's 4th...……………………..Ceci was never in the plans

#6. Stecher for Chris Russell + 2nd………………….Russell is here for milli-seconds...a second because it clears Russells cap and they get a young RHD who can play up

#7. Russell 50% retained for Winni 5th...…………...The Peg could use a little veteran presence in their line-up and for the price, it helps short term

#8..Eriksson plus Jasek for Ottawa's 7th...………….Ottawa will need cap, Eriksson fills that need, and Jasek has no place to go...only a 2nd tier prospect anyways

#9. Benn is also moved

10#. Don't know what going on with Ferland?

Next years lineup

Hoglander (1) - Pettersson (8) - Boeser (6)

Pearson (4) - Horvat (5.5) - Miller (5.3)

Greenway (3) - Gaudette (2.5) - Virtanen (2.5)

Roussel (3) - Beagle (3) - Motte (1)   

Leivo (1.5) - Sutter (4.4)…………………….54.7 M

Hughes (6) - Ristolainen (5.4)

Edler (6) - Fox (1)

Juolevi (1) - Tryamkin (3)

Rafferty (1)……………………………….……...23.4 M

Markstrom (6)

????????  (1)……………………………...……..……..1 M...…………………………………………………….Total $79.1 M

Notable Prospects coming....Podkolzin, Lind, MacEwen, Rathbone, DiPietro and Woo

2nd Tier Prospects of note....Focht, Karlsson, Utunen, Brsiebois and Lockwood

Expansion Draft Protected....Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Miller, Greenway, Gaudette, Virtanen, Ristainen, Edler, Juolevi, and Markstrom

Expansion Draft exempt...….Hoglander, Hughes, Fox, Tryamkin and Rafferty

IMO, after these moves, we do not have to look at our Defense as a weak link, as IMO, it is as strong and young as anyone's, with finesse and size on each pairing, as well as every player can play up during injury. As for the forwards, Hoglander gives us energy and skill, and Greenway gives us size, we also become younger.

Other than Pearson, who we move before the draft, or move a pick to protect him, we are left with 4th liners that are expendable and our defense is completely safe. Yes we need to pick up a second string goalie, which should not be difficult, to give DiPietro more time.

We lose between 8 and 10 Million in cap....probably around 6 once Greenway and Fox are signed

2020 Picks...………

1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 7

No, I think we are just short of the playoffs this year...………….We are just outside the playoffs...……….14th OA Pick

My Opinion...….the draft is BPA with the 1st,  if a forward - Best Dman available with the1st-2nd, Best Goalie available with the 2nd-2nd, Best Dman available with the 3rd-2nd 

My Opinion...….the draft is BPA with the 1st,  if a Dman - Best Forward available with the1st-2nd, Best Goalie available with the 2nd-2nd, Best Dman available with the 3rd-2nd

after that......just BPA off list

Now, I will just sit by the phone and wait for my call

• Wat 1

Too many changes.

I'd go for...

#2 but probably need to add a draft pick a Fox is currently playing in the NHL while Madden is not.

#8 just to clear cap space.  Might need to add a better prospect if not retaining any salary.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I love the team, and think we have a great future. But I am feeling we are a little Small/Light for the playoffs. Maybe it is more lack of aggression? I don't know, but after watching the Calgary/Edmonton game last night, I am wondering if our team could handle playing a series like that, let a lone 16 to 28 playoff games like that?

So, I would like to revamp our team a little to ready them for our the next 10 years...…………..

Trades...………..

#2. Adam Fox for Tyler Madden...…………………..Big risk for both teams, but the Canucks need a Offensive RHD, the NYR have too many Offensive RHD

#8..Eriksson plus Jasek for Ottawa's 7th...………….Ottawa will need cap, Eriksson fills that need, and Jasek has no place to go...only a 2nd tier prospect anyways

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Too many changes.

I'd go for...

#2 but probably need to add a draft pick a Fox is currently playing in the NHL while Madden is not.

#8 just to clear cap space.  Might need to add a better prospect if not retaining any salary.

OK, what else to get Fox?

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

mmmm

we are a playoff team

so let's tear it all down

..............................ok then

I can always count on you for a little reality, my friend! Happy New Year!

OK......I get it, and I was just having fun

But how do we get Fox and rid our selves of Eriksson

I guess we just wait to get a Offensive RHD......I mean Bieska was pretty rude at times, but he was never offensive

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

I guess we just wait to get a Offensive RHD......I mean Bieska was pretty rude at times, but he was never offensive

You need to forget about Fox. He was a college free agent who chose to play in New York. Beyond that the Rangers are a rebuilding team and he’s exactly the kind of player rebuilding teams keep. Young, effective, cost controlled. 

57 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Looking at NYR roster.   Probably cost too much to get Fox.  He's a rookie D on an ELC that's got 24 points in 44 games.  Plus NYR has about $7M dead money in buyouts next year.  So they are probably going to jettison older veterans with big $ contracts.

10 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Next years lineup

Hoglander (1) - Pettersson (8) - Boeser (6)

Pearson (4) - Horvat (5.5) - Miller (5.3)

Greenway (3) - Gaudette (2.5) - Virtanen (2.5)

Roussel (3) - Beagle (3) - Motte (1)   

Leivo (1.5) - Sutter (4.4)…………………….54.7 M

Hughes (6) - Ristolainen (5.4)

Edler (6) - Fox (1)

Juolevi (1) - Tryamkin (3)

Rafferty (1)……………………………….……...23.4 M

Markstrom (6)

????????  (1)……………………………...……..……..1 M...…………………………………………………….Total $79.1 M

Hey janisahockeynut...

A few problems with your numbers. Main one is that Pettersson doesn't get $8m next season. He's still on his ELC @ $0.9m.

So your forward lineup numbers come to $43.6m, not $54.7m.

Then 43.6 + 23.4 + 1 = $68m, but you left out the $6m for Marky...so your roster actually = $74m

Now add in Spooner buy out (+1) plus Luongo recapture (+3) = $78m. I assume Ferland is on LTIR or retired in your projection.

Now add the 50% retention on your Russell deal (+2.0). And Baer's buried contract (another 2.3). Comes to $82.3m, and this doesn't account for the likely need for us to pay for this season's performance bonuses next season...

We really can't afford to be making the moves you wish we could make (assuming they are even possible).

I think the BEST moves that JB can make would be to move Sutter and Baer. These guys played key roles for us in the past during some dark times, but they need to be moved on now for the sake of all parties. We need to generate some cap space.

Having said all that...I don't think you are wrong about the need for more toughness/size/pushback on our roster.

A healthy Ferland, plus replacing Stecher with Tryamkin will go a long way towards increasing the size of this team for next season and the 2021 playoffs.

This is my projected roster for next season, assuming we move Sutter, Baer and Stech, and comes to about $79.5m including recaptures and buy outs (but excludes perf bonuses). New contracts in brackets:

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Virtanen (3.25)

Roussel Gaudette (2.0) Leivo (1.8)

Ferland Beagle Motte (1.1)

Ericksson

Edler Tanev (4.75)

Hughes Tryamkin (2.5)

Benn Myers

Fantenberg (1.2)

Markstrom (5.0)

Demko

It might be a bit boring from a trade perspective, but I think it's an exciting group!