The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Kings shopping Alec Martinez

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think he's on his later legs and costs $4M this year and one more. I think his value is probably minimal as it stands right now.

I'd be fine with the upgrade over Benn tho... something like Benn+Breisbois+3rd with LA retaining salary to make it work would be fine. I like the idea of a left side of Edler-Hughes-Martinez-Fantenberg going into the stretch leading up to the playoffs. I wouldn't pay more than that tho. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd be fine with the upgrade over Benn tho... something like Benn+Breisbois+3rd with LA retaining salary to make it work would be fine. I like the idea of a left side of Edler-Hughes-Martinez-Fantenberg going into the stretch leading up to the playoffs. I wouldn't pay more than that tho. 

They would have to eat 50% of salary. Canucks can not take on additional salary moving past this year.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Tower102 said:

They would have to eat 50% of salary. Canucks can not take on additional salary moving past this year.

exactly. If they were willing to do that and take Benn, a b-prospect and nothing higher than a 3rd I think it would help us. Martinez's playoff experience would be an asset, and he wouldn't be in the 2D slot like he is now in LA. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Actually, you’d try and swing a deal along the lines of Baertschi and Benn for Martinez. Maybe throw in a prospect (though it would likely need to be a forward from the Canucks end... maybe Will Lockwood or Jack Malone, someone unsigned... since the Canucks don’t have much in the way of D prospects to part with). This way you end up matching salaries (roughly) and trading parts for parts.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Actually, you’d try and swing a deal along the lines of Baertschi and Benn for Martinez. Maybe throw in a prospect (though it would likely need to be a forward from the Canucks end... maybe Will Lockwood or Jack Malone, someone unsigned... since the Canucks don’t have much in the way of D prospects to part with). This way you end up matching salaries (roughly) and trading parts for parts.

I think we could part with Breezy, although I do like him as a prospect. He's not a world beater but he's got the skills to be a decent bottom pairing guy. 

I like the Baer+Benn idea tho, that could be a good starting point. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Tower102 said:

They would have to eat 50% of salary.

Looking at the Kings recent trades, looks like they have no problem eating salary. 

Martinez, while always battling some sort of injury, is a warrior and a minute muncher when he's playing. On a far more offensively gifted team, and with more manageable minutes (ie: 18-19 minutes per night), I'd expect his point totals to also climb to what his ceiling is, which is somewhere in the high 20s/low 30s.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That’s not a bad proposal..

Nucks have 30k in cap space and are carrying 22 of a 23 man roster.

adding another 4 mill for two years isn’t and should be an option when you look at who will need signing. 

Going with Youth is cheaper and gives us flexibility that we will desperately need in the near future. 

Edited by Tracksuit
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Nucks have 30k in cap space and are carrying 22 of a 23 man roster.

adding another 4 mill for two years isn’t and should be an option when you look at who will need signing. 

Going with Youth is cheaper and gives us flexibility that we will desperately need in the near future. 

What the other posters have said above does make sense though. Benn and Baer with a B level prospect sheds salary and upgrades our D.

From that LeBrun article:

“Second and a prospect,’’ one Eastern Conference team executive suggested as the potential return for Martinez.

Though as we learn every year in this business, it comes down to supply and demand.

And there’s no gun to the head of Kings GM Rob Blake. If he doesn’t like what’s being offered for Martinez, he can wait it out into June.

Just now, Tower102 said:

What the other posters have said above does make sense though. Benn and Baer with a B level prospect sheds salary and upgrades our D.

What does it do for LA though?  They are rebuilding and trying to get more picks and prospects not add veterans.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mll said:

What does it do for LA though?  They are rebuilding and trying to get more picks and prospects not add veterans.

That is why the prospect is included. Maybe they get more elsewhere. But I am coming from a point of view of what would make sense on the Canucks side. I would be willing to add a mid level pick too depending on who the prospect is and possibly if they eat some salary too to help us shed salary to resign Tanev and Markstrom this offseason. 

Benn is a replacement for Martinez short term - they still have to field a team. Baer can slot in and replace Toffoli who they will likely trade for picks and prospects. If I was a team like LA I would bet on Baer being a servicable top 6 guy and increasing his value.