The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Houston Astros Fined Unprecedented Amount

AriGold2.0

15 hours ago, shiznak said:

Well, that could go both ways and that what separates a good pitcher from a below average one. If you’re getting rattled by the other team because you can't locate your pitches and get any outs. Then, you shouldn’t be in the MLB. I don’t care if the batters know what is coming. 

Command of your pitches triumph everything else.

Don't agree with this sentiment at all....

....why do you think the changeup is such an effective pitch? It's because batters think it's a fastball....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Who knows the league’s motivations behind it but yeah, I’d agree, the league probably knew and had done nothing about it. Not unheard of. Look at Ray Rice and the NFL. I could see it being that Houston is a big market that had been relatively unsuccessful for the last number of years so they figured it was for their own benefit to see the team succeed. It’s possible. 

I also don’t believe that the league has cracked down on steroids to the extent it appears to. Players are better at hiding it and know better than to juice themselves to the point of looking like bodybuilders and making it totally obvious. Steroids make the game better, integrity be damned. 

There is a theory out there that the baseball itself is juiced (not really sure how that works, but go watch it on YouTube) not the hitters. Thus why they broke the record for most home runs in a single season amongst the teams. 

Edited by shiznak

5 minutes ago, shiznak said:

There is a theory out there that the baseball itself is juiced (not really sure how that works, but go watch it on YouTube) not the hitters. Thus why they broke the record for most home runs in a single season amongst the teams. 

Possible. I still think steroids are more widespread than failed drug tests would have you believe. I think the same is true in the NFL. 

I also think the change in approach to hitting is a significant factor in the increased home run output. Hitters are more inclined to sacrifice some average for more bombs. 

7 hours ago, shiznak said:

Regular season he hit an average of .381, with 112 hits, 15 HRs, and 48 driven in. away from Minute Made Park. .311, 92 hits, 9HR, and 35 driven in at home.

I guess they were stealing signs in other ballparks too.

This allegedly happened in the playoffs, why are you talking about the regular season? Look at his playoff numbers this past post-season. It's insane.

HOME:

AB's - 36

AVG - .472

HR - 6

RBI - 12

OPS - 1.54

AWAY:

AB's - 35

AVG - .143

HR - 1

RBI - 2

OPS - .297

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Xbox said:

This allegedly happened in the playoffs, why are you talking about the regular season? Look at his playoff numbers this past post-season. It's insane.

HOME:

AB's - 36

AVG - .472

HR - 6

RBI - 12

OPS - 1.54

AWAY:

AB's - 35

AVG - .143

HR - 1

RBI - 2

OPS - .297

They were supposedly cheating throughout the season. That video showed it was during the regular season against the White Sox.

Again, most players struggle on the road (read my other post on other superstars post-season numbers). Going into a hostile environment, with the amplified noise against you. You’re bound to struggle. 

Another example is Mookie Betts in 2018. He was batting under .200 on the road, while batting over .350 at Fenway, in the playoffs.

Edited by shiznak

IMO, the Houston Astros entire organization should have been suspended for one full year. Full stop. The entire organization should have their salaries suspended for one full year as well. If, and that's a big IF, MLB wants to stop this crap from continuing, this might get everyone's attention. Their World Series championship should also be taken away as well. $5M is nothing to a major league ballclub.

Edited by johngould21
  • Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...