The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

I read an article about Asian Canadians from Hong Kong are divided about voting Conservatives. A lot of want to vote Conservatives because of "tough on China" stance, a stance which is very weakly held by the Liberals and other parties. Some just like O'Toole as a leader. Other people think that Conservatives don't have much to offer except that hard Chinese stance, yet they don't necessarily like the Liberals either. The Asian vote, at least in BC, is going to be influential to the election from what I understand.

Trudeau really needs to address the Chinese issue ASAP if he wants to separate himself from the Conservatives.

Edited by Dazzle

3 hours ago, stawns said:

The Libs need to accept that a minority government is the best they're going to get right now and with JT at the helm.  Ride it for awhile, ride JT into the sunset and let Freeyland take over for the next election.  She's the backbone of the party anyway

if she does a good job at finance I could see there being a lot of pressure internal for change. I'm very happy JT got rid of Harper, not sure anyone else could have at that time. But he's outlived his utility imo, and the arrogance is getting stale. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

I read an article about Asian Canadians from Hong Kong are divided about voting Conservatives. A lot of want to vote Conservatives because of "tough on China" stance, a stance which is very weakly held by the Liberals and other parties. Some just like O'Toole as a leader. Other people think that Conservatives don't have much to offer except that hard Chinese stance, yet they don't necessarily like the Liberals either. The Asian vote, at least in BC, is going to be influential to the election from what I understand.

Trudeau really needs to address the Chinese issue ASAP if he wants to separate himself from the Conservatives.

Vancouver/coast area has been won by notably Liberals/NDP last two elections, especially in 2015. The more you get away from Vancouver the more conservatives have seats in BC. If the conservatives can win a bit more in Vancouver/coast it will help them improve the gains they made in BC in 2019 but I don't think it'll be enough to win since I doubt the Liberals are gonna lose in Ontario/Quebec.

49 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

if she does a good job at finance I could see there being a lot of pressure internal for change. I'm very happy JT got rid of Harper, not sure anyone else could have at that time. But he's outlived his utility imo, and the arrogance is getting stale. 

I still don't understand why people thought Harper did a good job. People complaining about Trudeau (rightly or wrongly) have seemed to forget the authoritarian policies that Harper was introducing.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

I still don't understand why people thought Harper did a good job. People complaining about Trudeau (rightly or wrongly) have seemed to forget the authoritarian policies that Harper was introducing.

some people like authority figures :ph34r:

il_570xN.652114854_npy9.jpg.6827ea68569cb51f6015b518f7aa4fd9.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Vancouver/coast area has been won by notably Liberals/NDP last two elections, especially in 2015. The more you get away from Vancouver the more conservatives have seats in BC. If the conservatives can win a bit more in Vancouver/coast it will help them improve the gains they made in BC in 2019 but I don't think it'll be enough to win since I doubt the Liberals are gonna lose in Ontario/Quebec.

Same reason outside of Vancouver/Island you start getting more Liberal than NDP at the provincial level.  Generally the NDP (provincially) and Liberal/NDP (Federally) will focus their attention on Vancouver and basically ignore anything outside of Langley or further.  Which is understandable, thats where their large voting base is and you want to stick to them best as possible but their policies dont generally benefit rural folks.  Going to be REALLY interesting since Horgan promised to help the mill/forestry workers last election and we have had record number closed so lots of those votes are going to be not given this time around I feel. Going to be interesting both at the provincial and federal level. 

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Same reason outside of Vancouver/Island you start getting more Liberal than NDP at the provincial level.  Generally the NDP (provincially) and Liberal/NDP (Federally) will focus their attention on Vancouver and basically ignore anything outside of Langley or further.  Which is understandable, thats where their large voting base is and you want to stick to them best as possible but their policies dont generally benefit rural folks.  Going to be REALLY interesting since Horgan promised to help the mill/forestry workers last election and we have had record number closed so lots of those votes are going to be not given this time around I feel. Going to be interesting both at the provincial and federal level. 

PG has been solidly Reform/Con at the federal level.  Provincially, mostly BC Lib for some time, even though Lois Boone (BC NDP) was MLA for PG-Mount Robson from 1991-2001

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

If George Soros had the power people think, they wouldn't be allowed to say his name.

WTF is wrong with some people?

specifically, wth is wrong with conservatives? when did they become the party that tweets out conspiracy theories? when did CPC voters think this was a good idea?

social conservatism and conspiracy theories, oh joy. 

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

If George Soros had the power people think, they wouldn't be allowed to say his name.

Ideology and the narratives that suit them, with a large helping of confirmation bias, all fed by Facebook and Twitter memes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Ideology and the narratives that suit them, with a large helping of confirmation bias, all fed by Facebook and Twitter memes.

if you take Peter MacKay's time from lying to the PC base to his loss to O'Toole as bookends, the change in the conservative party of Canada in that span is actually pretty stunning. Its now dominated by social issues, and has begun adopting US-style conspiracy theories. People 20 years ago would not have believed what they have become. 

Thanks Preston. 

33 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

if you take Peter MacKay's time from lying to the PC base to his loss to O'Toole as bookends, the change in the conservative party of Canada in that span is actually pretty stunning. Its now dominated by social issues, and has begun adopting US-style conspiracy theories. People 20 years ago would not have believed what they have become. 

Thanks Preston. 

Yup. If it wasn't so sad, it would be funny.

On 8/30/2020 at 8:20 AM, gurn said:

That's not how Soros and his gang operates. They will blow their cover easily if they resort to that. They resort to other 'legal' means like influence, lobbying and their media.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Quinn Skates said:

That's not how Soros and his gang operates. They will blow their cover easily if they resort to that. They resort to other 'legal' means like influence, lobbying and their media.

lol sorry what?

Guessing you've not been paying attention to what is happening in America regarding lobbying, influencing, the media and the GOP

But no, do go on about Soros and how he's so terrible without a single verifiable shred of proof as I look over these items from, I dunno...the Koch bros etc

On 8/30/2020 at 8:20 AM, gurn said:

That's a perfect comparison.

The right like to call us "snowflakes", but they treat GS exactly like he was a real world Voldemort.....:picard:

30 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

lol sorry what?

Guessing you've not been paying attention to what is happening in America regarding lobbying, influencing, the media and the GOP

But no, do go on about Soros and how he's so terrible without a single verifiable shred of proof as I look over these items from, I dunno...the Koch bros etc

Have you not been taking notes of what his foundation supports? 

14 minutes ago, Quinn Skates said:

Have you not been taking notes of what his foundation supports? 

lol yes.  

And almost all of it is harmless philanthropy.  You're afraid of stuff pushed by a group of morons living in trailers in America who think he's evil because he's LITERALLY doing what the large corporate donors do for the right  Those people picked it up from Hungary when he went against a far right leader that was essentially turning hungary in to a near dicatorship.  They're the SAME group suggesting that anyone and everyone left of centre is a; or supports pedophiles. 

I mean what a horrible human being with his own money

Look at all the evil things he does

https://www.opensocietyfoundations.org/who-we-are/programs

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/17/philanthropist-george-soros-donates-most-of-his-net-worth-to-charity.html

Here's a great write up about why the right hate him so much

https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-49584157

Honestly, the man is the most evil person since Bill Gates or Mother Theresa or Keanu Reeves 

He should just be shot in an alley somewhere no doubt

• Cheers 1