Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention


Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but there are good ones too: Freeland, Micheal Chong, Charlie Angus are people that stand out to me as credible. 

Chuck Cadman. rip

Svend Robinson, prior to his mental melt down and shoplifting spree. I'll remember him taking those glass 2 litre Coke bottles into the House for a long time. The glass bottles had a habit of exploding when tipped or dropped., and they were trying to get the manufacting laws changed to disallow them.

Nothing was getting done till he put a bottle up on his speaking pulpit, tipped one over as he stepped back, people everywhere around him ducked or ran. The law got changed very quickly after that.

Edited by gurn
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, gurn said:

Chuck Cadman. rip

Svend Robinson, prior to his mental melt down and shoplifting spree. I'll remember taking those glass 2 litre Coke bottles into the house for a long time. THe glass bottles had a habit of exploding when tipped or dropped., and they were trying to get the manufacting laws changed to disallow them.

Nothing was getting done till he put a bottle up on his speaking pulpit, tipped one over as he stepped back, people everywhere around him ducked or ran. The law got changed very quickly after that.

Pop tastes better in glass bottles though.  :sadno:

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Thing is, if they do turf out the "social garbage" they'll lose the support of at least of minority of current Conservative voters.

 

I guess the political question then would be:  would they gain more supporters like you who are turned off by their current social policies than they would lose?

Personally, they'd at least become an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Boudrias said:

How about they have forums at the riding association level so that members can actually discuss such issues. My impression is that all the parties are top down structures. That doesn't cut it for me. The CPC started the top down stuff under Harper. If the grassroots embarrass leadership by exchanging ideas then where is democracy headed? 

It appears whoever has the best video wins the vote. In O'Tooles case he actually violated the CPC charter to suppress debate. 

This is actually a really good idea and would bring back the centrist and moderate supporters

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

This is actually a really good idea and would bring back the centrist and moderate supporters

Or maybe it would show just how morally conservative the members of the Conservative party are?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Or maybe it would show just how morally conservative the members of the Conservative party are?

if done at the riding association level it would give in fact people, not delegates the opportunity to shift and shape party mandates as opposed to established delegates who in this case, are reformers and social conservatives.

 

It is the social conservative mandate that has driven fiscal conservatives and centrists away rom the party in droves.  Given the opportunity to go back to what was once simply sound policy and a true desire for smaller government and government interference in peoples lives would seriously bring people back.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

if done at the riding association level it would give in fact people, not delegates the opportunity to shift and shape party mandates as opposed to established delegates who in this case, are reformers and social conservatives.

 

It is the social conservative mandate that has driven fiscal conservatives and centrists away rom the party in droves.  Given the opportunity to go back to what was once simply sound policy and a true desire for smaller government and government interference in peoples lives would seriously bring people back.

But aren't the riding delegates elected by the rank and file members of the party in each riding?   If so, they why are these rank and file members sending reformers and social conservatives to the convention to represent their riding if they (the rank and file members) don't agree with those representatives?

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

But aren't the riding delegates elected by the rank and file members of the party in each riding?   If so, they why are these rank and file members sending reformers and social conservatives to the convention to represent their riding if they (the rank and file members) don't agree with those representatives?

 

 

Because the vocal minority holds more power than most would think, and this would take power away from said vocal group.  It is also not quite as cut and dried as "elected delegates" anymore so much as it is palms greased pork barrelling of the highest nature

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I say I can never ever get back to any sort of respectability or voting support for the Conservatives until they turf the social mandates they champion out of the party this is what I mean

 

Anti-abortion groups are declaring victory after securing at least seven of 18 top spots on the Conservative Party of Canada’s powerful National Council.

The National Council has powers set-out in the Conservative Party’s constitution controlling the party’s budget, creating party bylaws and, importantly, setting rules for local nomination races and candidate selection.

RightNow, an anti-abortion group whose mission is to help social conservatives seize control of the Conservative Party by working inside party structures, claims its supporters accounted for “25% of the full voting delegates” at the Conservative Party’s virtual policy convention over the weekend.

“RightNow worked with a number of other pro-life organizations to create a winning coalition for the policy convention,” the anti-abortion group said in a statement.

“In addition to earning incredible success in the policy proposal and constitutional amendment process, RightNow was able to vote in a majority on the National Council, which is essentially the board of directors of the party,” the statement adds.

“The National Council makes vital decisions such as appointing the Leadership Election Organizing Committee (the body that establishes the rules of the party’s leadership race) and acts as the final arbiter for candidates who have been disqualified by the National Candidate Selection Committee.”

image-2021-03-019.jpg

RightNow (Facebook)

RightNow said several anti-abortion groups, including Canada Family Action, the Canadian Centre for Bioethical Reform, the Wilberforce Project and the Saskatchewan Pro-Life Association, all endorsed the same slate of candidates for National Council. Campaign Life Coalition, Canada’s biggest anti-abortion group, separately endorsed many of the same names.

In total, seven candidates backed by anti-abortion groups were elected to the Conservative Party’s 18-member National Council:

• Amber Ruddy (Alberta)

• Robert Boyd (British Columbia)

• Mani Fallon (British Columbia)

• Bert Chen (Ontario)

• Shir Barzilay (Ontario)

• Pete Aarssen (Ontario)

• Collette Stang (Saskatchewan)

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

hye257kuoao61.jpg

Did anyone else get that weird AF letter from Erin O'Toole (dated back in March)?

 

EDIT:

 

CB81PRm.jpg

 

No Erin, I don't want you to be in my kitchen staring into my eyes you socially-inept weirdo. 

Edited by Down by the River
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Did anyone else get that weird AF letter from Erin O'Toole (dated back in March)?

 

EDIT:

 

CB81PRm.jpg

 

No Erin, I don't want you to be in my kitchen staring into my eyes you socially-inept weirdo. 

Yikes

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Did anyone else get that weird AF letter from Erin O'Toole (dated back in March)?

 

EDIT:

 

 

 

No Erin, I don't want you to be in my kitchen staring into my eyes you socially-inept weirdo. 

the only thing interesting about that letter is it does seem to predict we'll be headling to the polls soon. If most of us are vaccinated by Canada Day I could see a snap fall election for sure. 

 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

When I say I can never ever get back to any sort of respectability or voting support for the Conservatives until they turf the social mandates they champion out of the party this is what I mean

 

Anti-abortion groups are declaring victory after securing at least seven of 18 top spots on the Conservative Party of Canada’s powerful National Council.

 

this is the heart of the problem for the CPC. The energy and involvement they get around an issue regarding someone else's health decision will always be trumped by moderates who don't show up to candidate selection meetings nearly as much.

 

Nothing is going to change under O'Toole, he's too weak of a leader who's still begging for attention within his own party. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the only thing interesting about that letter is it does seem to predict we'll be headling to the polls soon. If most of us are vaccinated by Canada Day I could see a snap fall election for sure. 

 

The sad thing is, I cannot for one second see much of a change in the polls.  The NDP in fact will stand the most to lose aside from the Bloq.

 

The Liberals are literally bankrolling businesses right now and can tout their handling of the economic health of small business as being a success while outright stating that any lockdowns were 100% provincial mandates.  Thus stealing thunder from the Conseravtives.

 

The Liberals are essentially creating a near year long Universal Basic Income (I firmly believe they want a years worth of data to fall back on which is why it was extended to June) which steals thunder from the NDP.

 

The Liberals have been shoving money at Quebec which steals any thunder the Bloq might make

 

Any and ALL lockdowns are provincial mandates which weakens not only Quebec but also currently conservative strongholds who are pissed about the state of things.

 

Then we get to Alberta and Saskatchewan where The feds are actually gaining ground.  Trudeau will have a pipeline to tidewater by years end.  He might even be able to get Keystone XL moving again or the eastern expansion south, and if he does that he'll bleed support in two provinces where western separation parties are gaining ground

 

Finally, every month that goes by job numbers get better.  Peoples personal wealth is increasing due to home values and of course the more the government gives people the more people are paying down debt and stimulating the economy (like trickle up economics where people are giving money and it actually helps people or something)

 

Honestly, calling an election by toppling the government might play horribly bad for the NDP and Conservatives and I am loathe to see this government get a power mandate in a majority where they in fact do get carte blanche

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

this is the heart of the problem for the CPC. The energy and involvement they get around an issue regarding someone else's health decision will always be trumped by moderates who don't show up to candidate selection meetings nearly as much.

 

Nothing is going to change under O'Toole, he's too weak of a leader who's still begging for attention within his own party. 

He outright said clearly that if the party doesn't let go of old social ideals and start embracing common sense thinking, changing trends and forward thinking that they'll lose again to Trudeau.

 

I think this is the case.  I believe they'll keep it up until the next leadership race is between Ford and Poiliverre 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible that I got a letter from Erin O'Toole, but unlikely....In any event, I don't even read political mail from candidates that I like...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

He outright said clearly that if the party doesn't let go of old social ideals and start embracing common sense thinking, changing trends and forward thinking that they'll lose again to Trudeau.

 

I think this is the case.  I believe they'll keep it up until the next leadership race is between Ford and Poiliverre 

PP is a social con tho. Ford would be the better choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who almost always vote Conservatives.... :bored:

 

The CPC is like the guy in the brown suit:

Getamac_%28cropped%29.png

Doesn't even matter what policies it has, since politics has basically become all about branding.  JT has a good marketing/publicity teams, hence he used to do those "random" photoshoots.... like the time he was jogging without his security detail and apparently with his photographer... at night along the seawall... right, lol.  Yet many voters were still bamboozeled by it.  He just need to appear to be young, hip and "with it" and thus he will get a huge voter base without even venturing into actual issues.  

 

As for Erin O'Toole.... at first I was like, nice a woman to go head-to-head... oh wait, Erin's a dude?  An older and overweight dude?  :picard: 

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

 

Honestly, calling an election by toppling the government might play horribly bad for the NDP and Conservatives and I am loathe to see this government get a power mandate in a majority where they in fact do get carte blanche

We've pretty much have had this tho. JT hasnt faced any real opposition other than his own gaffes. The Libs biggest issue in an election might be voter apathy.

 

I can definitely see guaranteed income being a major election issue. That and a lot more infrastructure promises. O'Toole has nothing to match that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...