The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

The saga of the proffesor and the province of Quebec continues; this time a conservative MP from Quebec suggests the proffessor go back to the states.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/go-back-to-u-s-if-you-don-t-like-it-here-quebec-mp-tells-canadian-professor-who-said-province-is-racist/ar-BB1eX2up?ocid=msedgdhp

"The angry fallout from a law professor’s accusations of racism in Quebec continued Wednesday, as a Conservative MP from the province suggested Amir Attaran go back to the U.S. where he was born if he doesn’t like it here.

In a Tweet about the University of Ottawa academic, who alleged Quebec was governed by white supremacists, Conservative Pierre Paul-Hus also referred to Attaran as “Iranian-American.”

In fact, the health policy expert has been a Canadian citizen for about 20 years, as well as holding American and Iranian citizenship, and was a permanent resident of this country before that. He even received the Senate 150 Medal in 2018, awarded by the upper house to Canadians who make their communities “a better place to live.”

Paul-Hus’s Twitter remark itself looks discriminatory, reminiscent of similar comments by former U.S. President Donald Trump about Democratic congresswomen with links to other countries, Attaran said.

“He may not like my opinions, which is fine,” the professor said about Paul-Hus. “But to resort to racial division and a request to exclude those who are not native-born is an insult to every immigrant in Canada and every person of a different ethnicity or skin colour.”

“There is no dog whistling here,” Attaran added. “There is a bull horn of racism, and it is painted Conservative blue.”

Meanwhile, the association for university faculty members wrote to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau Wednesday, saying the Liberal’s own rebuke of Attaran for alleged “Quebec bashing” was a “highly inappropriate” assault on academic freedom.

The professor said he’s received scores of crude and racially tinged emails written in French.

In his tweet, Paul-Hus did not respond to Attaran’s allegations, but addressed the professor directly. “If you are not well in Canada, I invite you to return to the United States,” he wrote.

The Conservatives’ public works and procurement critic could not be reached for comment.

A spokesman for Conservative Leader Erin O’Toole did not respond to a request for comment by deadline."

The heated affair began with a series of provocative tweets by Attaran commenting on race-related policies and incidents in Quebec, including the revelation that a hospital had several times advertised for white-only employees because of a “difficult” patient. A temp-hiring agency later told the CBC that such requests are common from public sector health organizations in the province.

He also tweeted about Joyce Echaquan, an Indigenous woman who died in a Joliette, Que., hospital recently after recording derogatory and insulting remarks made to her by hospital staff. She was the victim of a “medical lynching,” the academic alleged.

Attaran said Quebec was governed by white supremacists and called it the “Alabama of the north,” noting the province failed to label the whites-only job ads as racist, and vetoed a planned resolution by first ministers declaring the existence of systemic racism. The president of the province’s own human rights commission said last October that systemic racism was a reality in Quebec

Various Quebec politicians condemned Attaran’s comments, some saying he was racist himself. Trudeau said it was time to end “Quebec bashing.”

Among the hate mail Attaran said he’s received was one message suggesting he get raped by late terrorist leader Osama bin Laden, another calling him an Iranian son of a dog and son of a whore in the same sentence.

Before coming to Canada, the San Diego, Calif., native earned credentials from an array of the world’s top universities, including Berkeley, Caltech and Oxford, where he obtained a doctorate in immunology while starting his law degree at the University of British Columbia.

Attaran worked at both Yale and Harvard before being recruited by the University of Ottawa.

The professor is an outspoken and sharply worded critic of governments of all stripes, most recently warning of trouble with the Liberals’ COVID-19 vaccine procurement efforts months before that became a burning issue.

But his comments, especially on Twitter, are sometimes viewed as more inflammatory than incisive. He angered Albertans in December when he said the federal government should ignore the province’s request for help setting up COVID-19 field hospitals because its government is rich, and Premier Jason Kenney had bungled handling of the pandemic.

In its letter to Trudeau, the Canadian Association of University Teachers accused the prime minister of publicly censuring and interfering with his academic freedom.

“You may disagree with Dr. Attaran’s views, but you must not pressure or be seen to be pressuring the University of Ottawa administration to act against him,” the association wrote."

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

“He may not like my opinions, which is fine,” the professor said about Paul-Hus. “But to resort to racial division

Like " " comments from law professor Amir Attaran, who claims the province is led by “a white supremacist government” and too tolerant of racism"

So the proffessor doesn't want people to resort to racial division, huh?

How about that.

And just like that screw every conservative run province in Canada that decided to waste tax payers money to fight this for "optics"

The Supreme Court of Canada has found that the carbon tax IS in fact a national issue and as such is constitutional

Going to be a bad day for Jason Kenney who signed away billions upon billions in Alberta Tax dollars to federal coffers when there was already a cheaper more viable option in house due to the Notley NDP

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-federal-carbon-tax-constitutional-case-1.5962687

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

Funny thing is, going green might be good for our economy. Cross training oil workers, and other parts of the economy. Generating new better paying jobs means more tax revenue. Improving education, keeping our social net. Improving medical care. All that means a better Canada. Making sure our military, can handle emergencies. (Like a pandemic, floods, earthquakes, blizzards, etc.) Basically the Conservative party was destroyed by Mulroney, and has never recovered. If they want to get elected, they have to stay away from the nutjobs, and religious right. The Conservatives need to embrace Quebec and give people in Quebec a reason to dump the Bloc. They need to bring back the Progressive into the Conservatives and make a party that can sway the moderate voter. 

Recent firearms changes should make me want to vote conservative on that one issue alone. But the rest of the platform just sickens me. 

Not that the Liberals are doing anything for the environment other than lip service. 

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

And just like that screw every conservative run province in Canada that decided to waste tax payers money to fight this for "optics"

The Supreme Court of Canada has found that the carbon tax IS in fact a national issue and as such is constitutional

Going to be a bad day for Jason Kenney who signed away billions upon billions in Alberta Tax dollars to federal coffers when there was already a cheaper more viable option in house due to the Notley NDP

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/supreme-court-federal-carbon-tax-constitutional-case-1.5962687

Finally.

Can't believe it's taken this long for the country to officially recognize that you need to cost negative externalities. Hope these big "C" conservative buffoons get a grasp of this basic economic principle.  

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

10 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Finally.

Can't believe it's taken this long for the country to officially recognize that you need to cost negative externalities. Hope these big "C" conservative buffoons get a grasp of this basic economic principle.  

For me, it was the day every single constitutional scholar came out and said that the feds were within their right for the same way they were over the GST debate in the 80s

Anything after that was a waste of money time and just for show

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Funny thing is, going green might be good for our economy. Cross training oil workers, and other parts of the economy. Generating new better paying jobs means more tax revenue. Improving education, keeping our social net. Improving medical care. All that means a better Canada. Making sure our military, can handle emergencies. (Like a pandemic, floods, earthquakes, blizzards, etc.) Basically the Conservative party was destroyed by Mulroney, and has never recovered. If they want to get elected, they have to stay away from the nutjobs, and religious right. The Conservatives need to embrace Quebec and give people in Quebec a reason to dump the Bloc. They need to bring back the Progressive into the Conservatives and make a party that can sway the moderate voter. 

Recent firearms changes should make me want to vote conservative on that one issue alone. But the rest of the platform just sickens me. 

Not that the Liberals are doing anything for the environment other than lip service. 

that's what these oil/gas workers fail to realize...........you work in the energy industry and oil/gas isn't the only energy source.  The smart ones will stop listening to the brainwashing the Cons and Oil/Gas companies are feeding them.  Be smart, use the skills youve been given and pivot.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

You don't believe that the Carbon Tax is an effective tool for reducing emissions? Everything that I've read (outside of the Calgary Herald and the National Post) suggests that it is....:unsure:

2 hours ago, stawns said:

that's what these oil/gas workers fail to realize...........you work in the energy industry and oil/gas isn't the only energy source.  The smart ones will stop listening to the brainwashing the Cons and Oil/Gas companies are feeding them.  Be smart, use the skills youve been given and pivot.

Nothing wrong with the oil sector.  There will also be a demand for hydrocarbon for decades and maybe even centuries to come, unless the average person and environmentalists actually realizes that nuclear power is essential going forward.

Of course.... just never wise to place all your eggs in one basket by just focusing on a single industry.  

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

You don't believe that the Carbon Tax is an effective tool for reducing emissions? Everything that I've read (outside of the Calgary Herald and the National Post) suggests that it is....:unsure:

No I'm looking at boots on the ground, Environmental Officers, who are supposed to be fining gross polluters, who are trying to keep our soil, water, and habitat intact. 

Don't think much as been done since Harper cut budgets. Reducing emissions is only one part of the big picture. 

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

No I'm looking at boots on the ground, Environmental Officers, who are supposed to be fining gross polluters, who are trying to keep our soil, water, and habitat intact. 

Don't think much as been done since Harper cut budgets. Reducing emissions is only one part of the big picture. 

So, I guess a more accurate assessment would be that they're not doing enough, as opposed to not doing anything?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Who's not cutting staff?

Feds, I haven't heard of any reports of any layoffs. Unless you count Air Canada. So yes, they are doing something, but if they are getting a carbon tax it would be nice to see more enforcement, and research and development, and clean up as well. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Feds, I haven't heard of any reports of any layoffs. Unless you count Air Canada. So yes, they are doing something, but if they are getting a carbon tax it would be nice to see more enforcement, and research and development, and clean up as well. 

You bet. All of those things are important, but the beauty of the carbon tax is that there is little enforcement required. It's basically a case of making the polluters police themselves, or they pay for it.

One of the articles I read on the Canadian tax said that environmental groups had criticized it, which (of course) right wing media seized upon. However, the opposition wasn't to the Carbon Tax per se, it was that there was no mandate that monies collected would be used directly for the initiatives that you mentioned. In that regard, I agree with them. (and you)

However, the main goal of the Carbon Tax isn't to raise tax money. It's to encourage businesses (and people) to lessen their emissions. In that regard, I think the Carbon Tax is a positive move for the environment by the Liberals, even if it isn't everything we'd like it to be.