The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Conservative Party of Canada Holds Annual Convention

DonLever

Peter MacKay joins Conservative Leadership Race:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/01/15/peter-mackay-to-announce-conservative-leadership-bid.html

In a four-word statement Wednesday, MacKay confirmed he will formally launch his leadership campaign in the coming days.

“I’m in. Stay tuned,” the former cabinet minister wrote Wednesday on Twitter.

MacKay’s laconic confirmation ends months of speculation — which started during the 2019 election campaign — that he would make a bid to replace Andrew Scheer and return to federal politics.

The former Progressive Conservative leader is the first big name to enter the race, and is expected to make a more detailed announcement in his native Nova Scotia later this month.

8 minutes ago, DonLever said:

Peter MacKay joins Conservative Leadership Race:

https://www.thestar.com/politics/federal/2020/01/15/peter-mackay-to-announce-conservative-leadership-bid.html

In a four-word statement Wednesday, MacKay confirmed he will formally launch his leadership campaign in the coming days.

“I’m in. Stay tuned,” the former cabinet minister wrote Wednesday on Twitter.

MacKay’s laconic confirmation ends months of speculation — which started during the 2019 election campaign — that he would make a bid to replace Andrew Scheer and return to federal politics.

The former Progressive Conservative leader is the first big name to enter the race, and is expected to make a more detailed announcement in his native Nova Scotia later this month.

explains why Harper quit as head of the CPC fundraising arm. He's going to work on MacKays team I bet. 

Good, let Harpers man run, it will be easier for the Liberals to take him down, no one wants to return to that. It'll be a shame tho if Ambrose decides not to run because of  this tho. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

explains why Harper quit as head of the CPC fundraising arm. He's going to work on MacKays team I bet. 

Good, let Harpers man run, it will be easier for the Liberals to take him down, no one wants to return to that. It'll be a shame tho if Ambrose decides not to run because of  this tho. 

Wasn't Scheer his guy? Last time I checked he Scheer got the most votes.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

That's cause Alberta basically pumped up his vote count. 

Take away Alberta and Trudeau easily has the most votes. (Sheer beat Trudeau in the popular by only 239,712 votes.) 

10 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

yup, how'd that work out :gocan:

Haper and Petey Mac are tight, so I fully expect Harper to throw his weight - for lack of a better term - behind MacKay. 

Its too bad, I suspect that will push MacKay over the top before the race even begins. Harpers Revenge will be too hard to resist for the base I suspect. 

9 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

Take away Alberta and Trudeau easily has the most votes. (Sheer beat Trudeau in the popular by only 239,712 votes.) 

yeah its a bit like being up in Vegas before finally losing the last hand. But boy that run up to it was something tho, right? :lol:

I was hoping P-Mac would stay out of this, really for the good of the country. Ambrose was the right pick for many reasons, someone I would actually consider voting for. Judas MacKay tho, nope. He's got no credibility with centrists, unless they have a short memory. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup, how'd that work out :gocan:

Haper and Petey Mac are tight, so I fully expect Harper to throw his weight - for lack of a better term - behind MacKay. 

Its too bad, I suspect that will push MacKay over the top before the race even begins. Harpers Revenge will be too hard to resist for the base I suspect. 

My point was you said nobody wants that. That's not accurate. 

Pierre Pollievre apparently has a massive lead atm. I do like how PP attacks and questions the PM/government and his riding is in Ontario but honestly I'm pretty sick of the CPC.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

My point was you said nobody wants that. That's not accurate. 

Pierre Pollievre apparently has a massive lead atm. I do like how PP attacks and questions the PM/government and his riding is in Ontario but honestly I'm pretty sick of the CPC.

PP is like a cheese grater on your ear. He has zero hope of winning vs Trudeau. 

Before the Petey Mac announcement I was actually looking forward to the idea of having a pretty hard choice between the Libs and Ambrose. 

9 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

The point is saying "nobody wants that" is not accurate. 

Also by your logic, take out the golden horseshoe and Scheer easily gets the most votes by a landslide. It's also funny because I never hear anyone say what you said for Trump. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

PP is like a cheese grater on your ear. He has zero hope of winning vs Trudeau. 

Before the Petey Mac announcement I was actually looking forward to the idea of having a pretty hard choice between the Libs and Ambrose. 

I think you toss around absolutes a bit to much but my point is I like him as a opposition legislator doing a good job. While in government I thought he was an arrogant jerk.

My favourite opposition member to date was always Pat Martin (ndp)

I like people who asked tough questions and hold the government to account. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think you toss around absolutes a bit to much but my point is I like him as a opposition legislator doing a good job. While in government I thought he was an arrogant jerk.

My favourite opposition member to date was always Pat Martin (ndp)

I like people who asked tough questions and hold the government to account. 

I do, you're right to call me on it, I'm just being lazy. 

I get what you're saying about calling out government, thats a good thing. That used to be John Bairds job before PP and he was even more effective at it, but I don't think anyone would want Baird as PM. PP is in the same vein imo. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I get what you're saying about calling out government, thats a good thing. That used to be John Bairds job before PP and he was even more effective at it, but I don't think anyone would want Baird as PM. PP is in the same vein imo. 

Oh, I don't know....

....just think of the fun reporters and editors could have with headlines:

"Baird Necessities"

"Don't poke the Baird"

"Baird Markets"

"Grizzly Baird"

....they just write themselves....B)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree with that. Very good opposition members aren't necessarily going to make a good PM. I might even sure how either party can call each other out on debt or wild spending, they look hypocritical. Honestly the best individual to lead the party would likely be an outsider imo that wasn't part of the previous cpc government or isn't even in parliament for that matter. 

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Oh, I don't know....

....just think of the fun reporters and editors could have with headlines:

"Baird Necessities"

"Don't poke the Baird"

"Baird Markets"

"Grizzly Baird"

....they just write themselves....B)

if Baird actually came out and lived an authentic life, maybe he'd have a chance. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

I agree with that. Very good opposition members aren't necessarily going to make a good PM. I might even sure how either party can call each other out on debt or wild spending, they look hypocritical. Honestly the best individual to lead the party would likely be an outsider imo that wasn't part of the previous cpc government or isn't even in parliament for that matter. 

thats an interesting idea. But who? I do think the next CPC leader has to be more of a "PC" to actually win. We might have to wait for Caroline Mulroney 4 years from now.

honest to god tho, i don't know how MacKay can be seen as anything other than Harpers sock puppet. 

On 1/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, morrissex95 said:

Chong is very promising. 

Potential first non-Caucasian Prime Minister. 

Ambrose is also a good candidate.

first female to be elected Prime Minister. 

I really hope the Conservatives utilize this opportunity to add some diversity to our leadership in the House of Commons. Regardless, I'll be voting NDP in the next election as I always have since I turned 18. 

How about we just hope the best, most qualified candidate gets the position, regardless of race or gender.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats an interesting idea. But who? I do think the next CPC leader has to be more of a "PC" to actually win. We might have to wait for Caroline Mulroney 4 years from now.

honest to god tho, i don't know how MacKay can be seen as anything other than Harpers sock puppet. 

Who it is I don't know but guys like MacKay are a joke. Was there for all the added debt, military cuts, infact overseen the cuts as the very minister responsible. Honestly and this will make @Warhippy happy but what can he run on that differs from the liberals? He doesn't wear pink socks?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

How about we just hope the best, most qualified candidate gets the position, regardless of race or gender.

Problem is, not everyone would agree on who that person is...

...There's a case to be made for the idea that political representation should be (at least somewhat) representative of the populace as a whole....