The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] TOR needs defense, VAN could use a 1st round pick

2 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Tanev's situation is problematic, much like the Guddy conundrum.

Unlike the Guddy situation, however, we are now in the thick of a playoff battle and can ill afford to lose Tanev's experience.

I think it more advantageous to keep Tanev and let him go to free agency.

Brogan Rafferty has really developed nicely and should make a huge push for a spot next season.

If we're going to make blueline changes, I'd rather it be through promotion than from dealing.

This route keeps our important pieces in Vancouver uniforms.

I'm torn on whether or not to keep Tanev after this year, but I don't think the Gudbranson situation is a fair comparison. Guddy had negative value and was struggling even on our bottom pairing. Tanev is an essential part of our top 4 and definitely still has positive value, though it's diminished due to his pending UFA status.

5 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm torn on whether or not to keep Tanev after this year, but I don't think the Gudbranson situation is a fair comparison. Guddy had negative value and was struggling even on our bottom pairing. Tanev is an essential part of our top 4 and definitely still has positive value, though it's diminished due to his pending UFA status.

He is an essential part of our d core but, his injury history is a great concern, moving forward. 

The fact that he is a great asset when he's in the lineup will have value in free agency, probably more than JB wants to pay (as is usually the case).

Sometimes saving cap space is the asset, not the player you're letting go.

At some point we have to start giving our prospects a chance.

For Rafferty, that point is here.