The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that don't make sense about hockey.

Rate this topic

Gritty the mascot.  What were y'all thinking up in Philly?

EDIT: I rest my case 

HM: DOPS head-shot rulings (sometimes incidental contact gets ruled as a head-shot whereas sometimes the player who got hit leaned or lunged and so they got hit on follow through when they made themselves vulnerable, yet the "offender" still gets dinged); also agreed with the playoff rule changes (whereas holding/ post-whistle aggression gets called in the regular season and skilled players ruled, it's almost expected in the post-season, to the point where the exciting skilled teams get dominated because the refs put their whistles away and the rough stuff is basically permitted)

Edited by Phil_314
  • Haha 1

If my poor memory serves me, I recall a player couldn't be in the blue paint and if he was and they scored, it wouldn't count. But now everyone is in the blue paint, as long as they don't interfere with the goalie. IMO, I think the goalie should be allowed to protect his crease (the blue paint), and if anyone even steps into his zone, the goalie should be abe to hack and whack at the player to remove them (ala Billy Smith/Ron Hextall), and if they continue to harrass the goalie in his crease, then a penalty.  

24 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Them's swearing words......goalies are sacred!

giphy.gif

Been waiting on a goalie to hate that post!

You guys should be fair game when handling a puck or when setting a pick behind the net, but you should also be able to do whatever you want to forwards in your crease.

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Been waiting on a goalie to hate that post!

You guys should be fair game when handling a puck or when setting a pick behind the net, but you should also be able to do whatever you want to forwards in your crease.

Watch your ankles......and keep your head up!

839385081.gif?w=1000

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/16/2020 at 10:13 PM, xereau said:
  1. Rule 71 – Premature Substitution

71.1 Premature Substitution - When a goalkeeper leaves his goal area and proceeds to his players’ bench for the purpose of substituting another player, the skater cannot enter the playing surface before the goalkeeper is within five feet (5’) of the bench. If the substitution is made prematurely, the official shall stop play immediately unless the non-offending team has possession of the puck -- in which event the stoppage will be delayed until the puck changes possession. There shall be no time penalty to the team making the premature substitution, but the resulting face-off will take place at the center ice face-off spot when play is stopped beyond the center red line. When play is stopped prior to the center red line, the resulting face-off shall be conducted at the nearest face-off spot in the zone where the play was stopped. In all other situations not covered in the above, a minor penalty may result for “too many men on the ice” (see Rule 74)

su·per·flu·ous
    /so͞oˈpərflo͞oəs/
    adjective

1. unnecessary, especially through being more than enough.
      "the purchaser should avoid asking for superfluous information"

Honestly, kudos to the ref that caught this in the Arizona game. Lol. One of the wackier rules I am surprised was even called. 

- How Edmonton is still average with all those picks

- Why are we still allowing coaches challenge to be used to see if a player was 2mm offside? Certain rules made with good intentions are being exploited for callbacks when ot had zero realistic bearing on the play.

• Vintage 1

At the end of the game, if the goalie is in the process of leaving the ice for an extra attacker and the player jumps well early and joins in the play, the play is blown dead and there is no too many men penalty despite having seven on the ice.  But if an extra attacker jumps on the ice during normal play and joins the play, it is a two many men penalty.

1 hour ago, Chickenspear said:

The "skipping the all-star game" suspension... Why must a player be suspended for a meaningful game, if he skips the circus game?

I think the goals and assists scored during the All Star Game should count towards their personal seasonal totals, and goals against should count respectively against goalies.  I think this could help empower greater accountability and improve the quality of the game.

Challenging an offside and losing results in a delay of game, but challenging goaltender interference and winning doesnt result in a penalty. I dont understand that at all. 
yes the goal is taken back, but if there is interference and they touch the puck, the goal would have never counted and it would be a penalty from the getgo.

• Upvote 1