The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Things that don't make sense about hockey.

Rate this topic

Would like to see a penalty be open ended for goals for its duration like a five minute major. Allow a team to score as many times as they can it probably takes out some silly penalties as well. 

This is actually an old rule but the Canadiens scored so much they changed it. 

• Vintage 1

• 4 months later...

1. never understood why the players don’t wear full cages to play. So many injuries happen because a puck a stick or an elbow made contact with the unprotected face of players. Get some damn masks on and the injuries would plummet. 

2. the icing rule is killing all the excitement. It needs to be adaptable to every situation. We’ve seen too many times where the offensive player dumping in the puck was going to get to the puck but the ref prematurely stopped play. 

On 1/28/2020 at 7:45 PM, 250Integra said:

How Alex Ovechkin has been in the league for 15 years and teams can't figure out how to cover him on the PP...

Elements of an answer here using tracking technology: 

On 1/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think the odds of having GD being the tie-breaker are very minimal. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's quite far on the tie-breaker priority. I'd take the 5% chance to tie the game. Goal differential isn't likely to matter.

One for me is the "Patrick Roy" rule where goalies can't go past centre ice (I think it might've been Plante or Hall that instigated it way back when actually). Honestly, that seems dumb to me--if a goalie really wants to go past centre ice, why not let him?

I also don’t like the trapezoid rule for goalies, just sounds like a street hockey made up Mickey Mouse kinda rule, you can touch the put here but you can’t a few inches away over there

On 1/16/2020 at 9:55 PM, -AJ- said:

Personally, I think the odds of having GD being the tie-breaker are very minimal. I'm not sure exactly, but I'm pretty sure it's quite far on the tie-breaker priority. I'd take the 5% chance to tie the game. Goal differential isn't likely to matter.

One for me is the "Patrick Roy" rule where goalies can't go past centre ice (I think it might've been Plante or Hall that instigated it way back when actually). Honestly, that seems dumb to me--if a goalie really wants to go past centre ice, why not let him?

Doood, get your Canuck trivia straight!!!

that is the Gary Suitcase Smith rule

to be fair, he was already Suitcase and the rule was already in effect when he came to Vancouver and led them to their first playoff appearence.

When I started watching hockey, HNC had a intro clip of Gary, then in a Seals uni dropping the puck and heading North.

The NHL said it made a mockery of the integrity of the game.

And yet they never had a problem with the other Smith, Mike running picks and flopping behind the net, once causing Alex Edler a 3 game suspension for brushing Mike on one of his picks. Ya, the integrity of the game.

The only time I remember that rule being called, was on Alex Auld, then a Canuck, who crossed the red line during a delayed penalty in the second period and touched the puck just as he reached the bench. Penalty nullified.

I have never understood the NHL's love for the 'bomber pass'.

Goalies like Mike Smth, Turco, Brodeur sending pucks to the other teams blue line while being fully protected from contact  is just boring to me.

At least when the other other Smith, Billy, and Hextall used to play the puck they did it at their own peril.

Those guys were the enforcers of their own crease.

57 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I also don’t like the trapezoid rule for goalies, just sounds like a street hockey made up Mickey Mouse kinda rule, you can touch the put here but you can’t a few inches away over there

See my other response about the Smiths.

I don't mind the Trapezoid rule, but it is a rule made neccesary by another dumb, oops stupid rule.

the reason the trapezoid is neccesary is because the NHL caved to Andy Moog, and his lobbying for more goalie protection.

I never liked that guy, i felt a little sorry for him playing behind Grant Fuhr all those years, but he was ultimately bad for hockey.

It is no coincidense that one of the perveyors of the 'bomber pass' was Marty Turco then of the Dallas Stars, a teammate of Moog.

Giving goalies too much protection to roam at will with complete impunity made for boring hockey and ultimately sullied the integrity of the game.

However, rather than reduce goalie safety to the area they originally had domain over, the crease, the NHL, in all its wisdom, created the trapezoid rule to limit the boring 'bomber pass'.

On 1/22/2020 at 10:32 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Watch your ankles......and keep your head up!

839385081.gif?w=1000

that is a beauty hit, should not be a penalty in my book

Puck and 2 players = no problem

but if that is Mike Smith and Alex Edler, Edler comes away with a 3 game suspension

On 1/17/2020 at 4:47 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

I fink the goalie center ice rule was put in because a team on the attack could pull their goalie and get him to freeze the puck in the offensive zone? 

I fink you are incorrect on this one.

The Goalie freezing the puck rule has changed many times, but I do not fink the goalie has ever been aloud to freeze the puck outside his own blueline.

Currently any play can give the puck aaway during a delayed penalty and the face off is in the offensive zone.

NO player is currently allowed to freeze the puck except the goalie, in his crease.

On a slightly different note

I do not understand why a player can pass the puck to his own goalie and then the goalie can freeze the puck.

Like after an icing, can't change, but can give the goalie the puck, let him freeze it and get the change. 

that is clearly a delay of game 

On 1/17/2020 at 4:47 AM, GhostsOf1994 said:

I fink the goalie center ice rule was put in because a team on the attack could pull their goalie and get him to freeze the puck in the offensive zone? 

Why would a team with possession want a face off? If the goalie could actually skate into the other teams zone, freeze the puck and that play resulted in a goal more times than the opposing teams shooting the puck into an empty net then let that strategy go, I for one would find it quite entertaining.

5 hours ago, lmm said:

I fink you are incorrect on this one.

The Goalie freezing the puck rule has changed many times, but I do not fink the goalie has ever been aloud to freeze the puck outside his own blueline.

Currently any play can give the puck aaway during a delayed penalty and the face off is in the offensive zone.

NO player is currently allowed to freeze the puck except the goalie, in his crease.

On a slightly different note

I do not understand why a player can pass the puck to his own goalie and then the goalie can freeze the puck.

Like after an icing, can't change, but can give the goalie the puck, let him freeze it and get the change. 

that is clearly a delay of game 

1) it's been many many years and i cannot remember if it was a news article, hockey broadcast or a book.

I am confident the goalie can not cross center ice and freeze the puck is from teams being dominated and stuck in their own zone and the opposing goalie freezing the puck in the offensive zone. Caused all sorts of trouble.

2) passing the puck to your goalie is the same as any other teammate, except he can freeze the puck. No different then a teammate going offside intentionally, still get the whistle.

So, if a goalie goes out for an icing call and passes it to his d man, then the dman passes it back and skates into open ice the goalie must freeze it? 

Kinda arguing your own point there.

I also fink you are not authorized to use my finking abilities:bigblush:

6 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Why would a team with possession want a face off? If the goalie could actually skate into the other teams zone, freeze the puck and that play resulted in a goal more times than the opposing teams shooting the puck into an empty net then let that strategy go, I for one would find it quite entertaining.

Keep the play in the other teams defensive end to protect the lead/win.

2 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Keep the play in the other teams defensive end to protect the lead/win.

So even though they have possession the goalie spends maybe 7-8 seconds skating up the ice to try and cover the puck if he can but in that time or if he can’t and the other team gets possession they have an empty net? Probably the stupidest strategy I ever heard in my life, I’d sure like to see a video of this being pulled off more times than failing.

Also if the players tie up the puck it wastes lots of time, a face off that’s won by the opposing team gives them the puck a lot quicker. I’m sorry but I may have to surrender my user name to anyone that thinks this is a good strategy.

Edited by Dumb Nuck

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

So even though they have possession the goalie spends maybe 7-8 seconds skating up the ice to try and cover the puck if he can but in that time or if he can’t and the other team gets possession they have an empty net? Probably the stupidest strategy I ever heard in my life, I’d sure like to see a video of this being pulled off more times than failing.

Also if the players tie up the puck it wastes lots of time, a face off that’s won by the opposing team gives them the puck a lot quicker. I’m sorry but I may have to surrender my user name to anyone that thinks this is a good strategy.

There was no rule stating the goalie had to be in his crease during play.

So, if the opposing team chipped it out the opposing goalie could freeze it wherever he got the puck.

This was probably 70ish years ago. Dont forget for half of the NHL's life it was considered un gentlemanly to shoot the puck high...

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 5:11 PM, Chickenspear said:

Ditch the trapezoid rule. They're trying to generate more scoring chances, why not let the goalies take a gamble into the corner?

Agreed, maybe keep the trapezoid as an area you cannot run the netminder but was much more fun seeing them gamble in the corner. Also means netminders like Turco used to be that we’re actually good puck handlers have a benefit and can generate offence from the back rather than just having the puck frozen all the time.

I get some people don’t like bomber passes but I think the issue to me isn’t the pass it’s the amount of protection they get. Just make it so crease and trapezoid is protected and if the netminder wants to venture out of this, they are fair game for a hit (provides hit is legal etc)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally get annoyed with the offside rule - usually as it pertains to a coaches challenge. I don't feel it should be so closely policed. If a player has a full stride on another while offside, then fine - it could make a difference. But we are calling back plays and goals if a guy is literally a half inch offside when it really had no bearing on the play.

IMO, it is s had as the old "toe in the blue paint" rule.

33 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I personally get annoyed with the offside rule - usually as it pertains to a coaches challenge. I don't feel it should be so closely policed. If a player has a full stride on another while offside, then fine - it could make a difference. But we are calling back plays and goals if a guy is literally a half inch offside when it really had no bearing on the play.

IMO, it is s had as the old "toe in the blue paint" rule.

The GMs have proposed a rule change back in their early March meeting - about a week before the season got cancelled.  Still has to be formally approved but should normally get implemented for next season.  

More details in this Sportsnet article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-general-managers-propose-change-to-offside-rule/

The NHL general managers have voted for a proposed change to the offside rule in order to simplify video reviews.

The proposal – which will still need to be approved by the competition committee and BOG – would change the language of the rule to say a player only has to break the plane of the blue line to determine offside. The current version of the rule requires at least one skate to be “in contact with, or on his own side of the line” for the player to be onside.

Since the 2015-16 season, coaches have been allowed to challenge a goal for offsides, which linesmen then can review on tablets. However, the video reviews have put a microscope on the offside rule and plays where a skate is marginally off the ice. This new rule change should simplify the review process. 

The competition committee typically meets in June to discuss rule changes which, if passed, will be implemented next season.

• Thanks 1