The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Minnesota to become sellers

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

Except we are suddenly now in a window where we need to take advantage of having our superstars on ELCs and showing them we can win before having to negotiate long term contracts.  The deal above actually makes cap room to sign our guys, but is at the expense of some futures.

If we don’t make that cap room right now, we are in some serious cap trouble over the next two years.  The Petterson and Hughes ELC bonuses for this year will push into next year; and next year’s bonuses will push into the year where we have to pay retail for those guys.  There is no “stay the course” option where we don’t get significantly worse.

We have a solid set of players in the pipeline that will be coming on-board over the next few seasons.  We aren’t going to be slotting in 2-3 roomies per year in times when we hope to contend.

Next year we have either Juolevi or Hoglander coming on in addition to probably MacEwan as a FT player.  The year after that we have Podkolzin and Lind who could be ready to slot into the lineup.  Then we will have our future picks in the coming years to be developing as well.... they just might not be 1st rounders.

Dimba effectively replaces Tanev money so no real long term cap implications on that.

Dumba will get way more than Tanev makes. Probably 3-4 mil.

30 minutes ago, Provost said:

Just to make everyone angry...

Do you do Boeser and a good prospect like Madden (plus cap to even it out) for Dumba and Zucker?

They get hometown face of the franchise boy and he gets to be close to family.

Madden probably doesn't have the trade value that his production warrants - he is a NCAA player and there's always the risk that he goes to UFA.  Pittsburgh got a top-pairing D in Marino for a song because upcoming NCAA UFA, same for NYR with Fox. 

Pittsburgh is apparently very interested in Zucker especially now with Guentzel out.  The Wild director of pro scouting was at the Pittsburgh game with Guerin.  Guerin would know their prospects.  Zucker also knows that Vancouver had interest but got turned down - he has a 10 team no trade list.  Russo speculates that Vancouver and Calgary are on that list.  For family reasons he probably wants to be a short-flight away from Minnesota.  

They don't have playmaking Cs to set Boeser up and their wings are full but there are not a lot of players like Boeser.  The emergence of Soucy makes Dumba available - Soucy came out of nowhere and was even healthy scratched in the AHL last season.  Don't see the Canucks trading Boeser though.  

Edited by mll

3 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Dumba will get way more than Tanev makes. Probably 3-4 mil.

Dumba is already signed to a $6 million deal for four more years.  Tanev gets in the $5 million range on a shorter term deal pretty easily on the market... most definitely not a $2-2 million dollar one.

minnie wants boeser. they’ve already said so. i’ld hate to see us move both sutter and madden unless we are getting a centre back. we don’t have a lot of centers. uttica is needing some and if both centers are moved and we have an injury to a centre we will be scrambling. 

we can’t afford him but i’ld love to see zucker on bo’s wing. perfect winger for him. imo, zucker is miller type player.

3 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

minnie wants boeser. they’ve already said so. i’ld hate to see us move both sutter and madden unless we are getting a centre back. we don’t have a lot of centers. uttica is needing some and if both centers are moved and we have an injury to a centre we will be scrambling. 

we can’t afford him but i’ld love to see zucker on bo’s wing. perfect winger for him. imo, zucker is miller type player.

That was Fenton.  Guerin is now in charge.  He already turned down the Sutter option earlier this season - they really don't need him.  

Edited by mll

I think if we were to go after Dumba, we would have to plug our nose a little, as I just don't see it being cheap....

And in saying that, Dumba's number are not out of the park, yes he had a 50 point year

But unless he is still recovering from his injury, this years numbers are not all that great

13 points and minus 14 in 47 games.....a lot of concern over his injury......

Would I like Dumba, yeah sure! But to me it suggests we clear out our RHD side, quickly...

Dumba (6M), Tryamkin(3M), Rafferty (1) = 10 Million, would look good in my opinion

over

Myers (6M), Tanev (5M), Stecher (3M) = 14 Million, close to what it is now

Can't see Myers (6M), Dumba (6M), Tryamkin (3M) = 15 Million ?????

Hard to see any of these scenario's honestly

But the cost...…...because we have to move cap

Gaudette(1M), Demko(1M), Woo, Baertschi(3M) and Schaller(2M)

for

Dumba and Stalock

That way Sutter plays 3rd line Center, with Madden coming in a year or 2

Too many moving parts, though

16 minutes ago, mll said:

That was Fenton.  Guerin is now in charge.  He already turned down the Sutter option earlier this season - they really don't need him.  

Things change... just like you kept saying Zucker was no longer on the market once Fenton left... now he is on the market again.  The Wild are now not going to make the playoffs and have to change gears to try to retool and change up their roster.

Edited by Provost

35 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This.

I doubt it would get done without involving Boeser or Podkolzin.

Every team should be jumping at the chance to get Dumba, now that he’s available.

Yesterday, Bob Mackenzie was on TSN1290, and he was talking about how long it takes a player to “get back to normal” after a significant injury. He gave Shea Weber as an example. He had a significant injury 2 seasons ago, and then played a full season last year. That was after rehab and then trying to get back back into everyday game shape. He was saying that the evidence showed that players generally need one full season playing healthy, before they can rebound and get back to where they were. In Dumba’s case, that means he’d get “back to normal” next season, after this being his first full season back.

Translation: Give up what is necessary to get a legitimate RHD, who’s also young. The fact Minny is making him available is their loss. However, as I mentioned before, with Spurgeon already signed and both wanting to play top pair minutes, they also don’t have a choice but to move him. And they’ll get a sweet return, because he doesn’t have a clause.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

As per TSN, the Wild are definitely in the sell mode.  Dumba is specifically on the block, and we have been long linked to Zucker who is available again.

Both players could fit our needs and the idea of not being pure rentals as they are both signed for beyond this year.  Benning was looking for upgrade on D and a top six winger.

Dumba seems like a great add as he pops basically replace Tanev beyond this season as a younger, faster, and more gritty player.

What possible  pieces do we have to make a deal for one or both.

I would say that any of our prospects aside from Hoglander and Podkolzin could be on the list going the other way.  From our roster, Sutter, Demko, and either Stecher or Tanev.

We would probably need to send out Baertschi to make some money even out.

A deal for Dumba could look like:

Madden

Sutter

Demko

Baertschi

a pick 

for

Dumba

Stalock

and whatever contracts to even it out  

We trade Stecher in a separate deal

Toronto could probably beat that deal if they want him by offering up a serious forward.

I think your idea of trying to trade for Dumba is an excellent one.  Our biggest need is to improve our defense.  Like you said, we would need to even out the cap and Dumba, at 25, fits our team age as well as Dumba being at his peak.

It would probably have to be a high pick, a very good prospect, and a roster player (along with a cap dump to even things out). I like your proposal and think it would be something like:

Madden or Juolevi

1st round pick (whichever one Tampa does not get)

Stecher

Baer (cap dump)

for

Dumba

OR

Madden or Juolevi

2nd round pick

Stecher

Leivo

(this may not be enough)

I would try to get Dumba. It brings in another top player on the back end where we need it whom would fit the team age excellently.

EDIT: as other posters have pointed it, if Minny wants a currently top 9 centre Gaudette may have to go the other way.  I would hate to do that, but for a top pairing defense man I would, depending on what else goes. Sutter could sub back in to the 3rd line centre role and hopefully Madden can take it in a year or two.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

Canucks cannot even think of acquiring Dumba, as JB spent his wad on Meyers.

I was soooo disappointed when he picked up Meyers last summer, as there were so many better options coming up in this years' UFA market.  RD was the most important position to fill, what with Tanev probably leaving and a very skimpy offerings in the prospect pool.

Seeing Meyers play on the 3rd pairing last night added more angst to my growing concerns about him.  5 more seasons...

Myers...

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Just to make everyone angry...

Do you do Boeser and a good prospect like Madden (plus cap to even it out) for Dumba and Zucker?

They get hometown face of the franchise boy and he gets to be close to family.

No way we should get rid of Boeser in my opinion.  High scoring and works hard every night. Strong fore check. His best is yet to come.  Too high a price imo.

If they trade Dumba it's for a top player/prospect. Not a mish mash of sub par players. While I think Boeser for Dumba works value wise, we are looking to add a top 6 player. Not take away a top 6 player. Yes it helps our defense but that's like cutting off your arm to bandage your leg. Depending on Hoglander's value maybe a deal around him could work. Stecher and Hoglander and maybe a 2nd rounder. Throw in someone like Baer/Sutter to even out the cap. But I gotta admit I really like Hoglander's upside.

I just don't see this team buying Dumba unless they want to move Boeser. But that just further hurts our top 6. Do you trust Jake and Leivo as your top 2 RW options come playoffs? I am a massive Jake fan but we seen nothing from him as far as playoffs go. And Leivo is a good utility fill in guy. Oddly enough we are still a decent team with him gone. Hard pass on Zucker for me, we are set on LW with Miller and Pearson. And there's really no one else on that Wild roster that I'd be willing to take a shot at other than Dumba.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Asking Boeser for Zucker (as was rumoured earlier in the year) was ridiculous. But Boeser for Dumba? Cap hits almost neutral.

I'd do that all day, every day. Boeser is obviously great and all, but with the addition of Miller, Horvat's PP effectiveness, Podkolzin and Hoglander on the way, and Pearson and Virtanen proving to be capable top-6 guys... ...Brock is simply not as "necessary" as he once was. And Hughes is expansion-exempt, so even if Juolevi and Rafferty both become something, we still have a protection spot available.

Edited by D-Money

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Asking Boeser for Zucker (as was rumoured earlier in the year) was ridiculous. But Boeser for Dumba? Cap hits almost neutral.

I'd do that all day, every day. Boeser is obviously great and all, but with the addition of Miller, Horvat's PP effectiveness, Podkolzin and Hoglander on the way, and Pearson and Virtanen proving to be capable top-6 guys... ...Brock is simply not as "necessary" as he once was. And Hughes is expansion-exempt, so even if Juolevi and Rafferty both become something, we still have a protection spot available.

Canucks are already looking for another bonafide top 6 forward. Why would they trade one of the ones they have?

1 minute ago, Stamkos said:

Canucks are already looking for another bonafide top 6 forward. Why would they trade one of the ones they have?

Because we are looking for a D upgrade AND a top 6 winger.

It is a lot easier to find a top 6 winger than a top pairing D.  Minny only does this because Boeser is from there and would excite the fans in what will be an iffy 2-3 years of retooling.

17 minutes ago, Provost said:

Things change... just like you kept saying Zucker was no longer on the market once Fenton left... now he is on the market again.  The Wild are now not going to make the playoffs and have to change gears to try to retool and change up their roster.

That was Guerin saying that to start the year - not me.  I find interesting to try and understand their train of thought. 

After coming back from watching Kaprisov Guerin talked of moving out a top-6 winger to make room.   Zuccarello has a NMC as well as Parise on top of a recapture contract.  Fiala is still young and they have no player like him.  Logically it leaves Zucker.   He's also drawing a lot of interest.