The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Minnesota to become sellers

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I feel like Minnesota isn't going to let Dumba go for anything less than a 1st or a grade A prospect. 

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the ask were closer to both. It's easier to find wingers than young, talented D of his skill. He's on a friendly contract too. 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Before people get into a feeding frenzy regarding the TDL, I think it's pertinent to remind everyone:

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks

We have essentially ZERO cap-space available therefore making any acquisitions a scenario of 'incoming cap = outgoing cap'.  It was speculated that several of our non-core pieces have been available for some time (Baer/Sutter/Loui (obviously)/Schaller/Goldy/Boucher) and there have been no takers. 

We are nowhere near an 'elite' team right now - yes, we are on the 'rise' but not there yet.  IMO we are not in a position to be significant 'buyers' right now at the expense of our prospects/picks.  You don't survive in the current NHL cap-world without drafting/developing within your own system as the base of your team; therefore I'm for staying the course, keeping our picks/prospects and maybe just 'fine-tuning' if the right deal presents itself. 

I agree with this, I know it's been said JB wants to add another top 6 piece but we're not quite at the place where we should be "buyers" yet imo. I understand wanting to take advantage of our ELC's but we don't have the cap space or prospect depth. Our cupboard is waaaay better than it was but I'd be loathe to move our blue chip pieces.

1 hour ago, D-Money said:

Gotta say...if Minnesota truly wants a young top-6 C back in this deal, Toronto would be smart to offer Nylander. They've got absolutely nothing at RD after Barrie hits UFA.

I hate to say it, but that makes a lot of sense for both sides. Helps that they're in separate conferences too. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hate to say it, but that makes a lot of sense for both sides. Helps that they're in separate conferences too. 

Yeah, Toronto makes the most sense as a landing place for Dumba.

As for Zucker? He's going to Calgary, I'd almost put money on it.

4 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I feel they'd have to add though, they're desperate for D right now with the injuries they've got and everyone knows it. 

I could see Edmonton and Calgary both vying for Zucker, which helps Minny. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I feel they'd have to add though, they're desperate for D right now with the injuries they've got and everyone knows it. 

I could see Edmonton and Calgary both vying for Zucker, which helps Minny. 

Not sure how Edmonton or Calgary have the cap space to acquire him especially when looking ahead into the future.

4 hours ago, Provost said:

As per TSN, the Wild are definitely in the sell mode.  Dumba is specifically on the block, and we have been long linked to Zucker who is available again.

Both players could fit our needs and the idea of not being pure rentals as they are both signed for beyond this year.  Benning was looking for upgrade on D and a top six winger.

Dumba seems like a great add as he pops basically replace Tanev beyond this season as a younger, faster, and more gritty player.

What possible  pieces do we have to make a deal for one or both.

I would say that any of our prospects aside from Hoglander and Podkolzin could be on the list going the other way.  From our roster, Sutter, Demko, and either Stecher or Tanev.

We would probably need to send out Baertschi to make some money even out.

A deal for Dumba could look like:

Madden

Sutter

Demko

Baertschi

a pick 

for

Dumba

Stalock

and whatever contracts to even it out  

We trade Stecher in a separate deal

Toronto could probably beat that deal if they want him by offering up a serious forward.

I’d do that providing we get both Dumbo and that Sucker guy.  

13 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Zucker has a 10-team no trade list.  Russo speculates that Calgary and Vancouver are both on it as he knows they had previous interest.  

Forget about Dumba, Soucy or Brodin would be lovely. Both are solid + players on an average team (I think Soucy is +15), and are racking up some points as well. They're in their mid to late 20s and could contribute, would be a lovely complementary 6th defenceman to be honest.

Up front Fiala and Foligno are tempting.

3 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure how Edmonton or Calgary have the cap space to acquire him especially when looking ahead into the future.

After trading Frolik, Calgary has enough space to add a cap hit over $3.7M this season. Assuming someone like Bennett is going the other way, they have space. (FWIW, Calgary and Minnesota completed a trade for Zucker with Frolik going back last year at the deadline, but it came to the league office seconds too late, so it was rejected.)

As for next season, Hamonic and Brodie are probably walking as free agents. Hamonic's cap hit went to Andersson's raise, but Brodie's $4.65M will be cleared.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Forget about Dumba, Soucy or Brodin would be lovely. Both are solid + players on an average team (I think Soucy is +15), and are racking up some points as well. They're in their mid to late 20s and could contribute, would be a lovely complementary 6th defenceman to be honest.

Up front Fiala and Foligno are tempting.

Foligno is having a helluva year. Playing for a new contract?

As a straight-up rental he'd be interesting.

I don't think Minnesota will consider trading Dumba to Vancouver unless the following is on the table:

2020/2021 1st round pick

2020 second round pick

Nils Hoglander

Another good prospect such as Vasily Podkolzin and Michael Dipietro. I think Brogan Rafferty may be "too old" for Minnesota's timeline if they have the patience for a long rebuild.

This is especially considering that Minnesota may have to take on salary from Vancouver. Minnesota's perception is that they are offering a (potential) franchise D who is 25 years old on a great contract. 

Dumba is not having a great season. It would be up to Vancouver's pro-scouts to decide whether he still have realistic upside and whether he is a legit top pairing D. 

2 minutes ago, RowdyCanuck said:

I like dumba but what we need is a meaner version of tanev for Hughes, if we didn't have Myers I would be all over Dumba but we need guys to play defence or we will end up like the leafs....

He is pretty physical, a big upgrade in that department vs Tanev or Stecher

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I’d do that providing we get both Dumbo and that Sucker guy.  

Would think they are more likely to do a Jones for Johansen type deal.  They have nothing at C1 or C2 in the system.  They have no use for LWs, bottom-6 Cs, they have Ds and RW is no longer a pressing issue with Kaprisov wanting to come over and Zuccarello with a NMC.  

Kakhonen was drafted the same year as Demko and has looked good when called up.  Better numbers than Demko - smaller NHL sample size but they couldn't keep him up because Dubnyk was returning.  

Will be interesting to see how Guerin goes about things.  

3 minutes ago, mll said:

Would think they are more likely to do a Jones for Johansen type deal.  They have nothing at C1 or C2 in the system.  They have no use for LWs, bottom-6 Cs, they have Ds and RW is no longer a pressing issue with Kaprisov wanting to come over and Zuccarello with a NMC.  

Kakhonen was drafted the same year as Demko and has looked good when called up.  Better numbers than Demko - smaller NHL sample size but they couldn't keep him up because Dubnyk was returning.  

Hockey Gaud for Dumbo.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

I don't think think it is clear what Minnesota's organizational timeline is. Are they ready for the full rebuild which means that they want 18-19 years old as well as draft picks, or are they wishing to retool their team with players in the 20's? It is much more difficult to find a trade partner for the latter route.

26 minutes ago, D-Money said:

After trading Frolik, Calgary has enough space to add a cap hit over $3.7M this season. Assuming someone like Bennett is going the other way, they have space. (FWIW, Calgary and Minnesota completed a trade for Zucker with Frolik going back last year at the deadline, but it came to the league office seconds too late, so it was rejected.)

As for next season, Hamonic and Brodie are probably walking as free agents. Hamonic's cap hit went to Andersson's raise, but Brodie's $4.65M will be cleared.

But they can't just replace Brodie with anyone. I was told by mll that Guerin isn't looking for any wingers in return because they want to bring up Kaprizov, but perhaps Bennett is younger and could be of interest. They have a projected 15 million in cap space next season and still need to sign 4 forward, 4 dmen and a goalie. If they take on Zucker, that doesn't leave a lot of room for depth, which includes losses of Hamonic and Brodie on defense.