The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Minnesota to become sellers

36 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

To be fair, Edmonton doesn't have a very good track record of structuring their team well. 

And adding Zucker might not make that any better, especially if he doesn't pan out like they hope. He's bordering on the Spooner/Gagner/Baertschi level in that he has to produce 50+ points or he's relatively useless otherwise. For 5.5 million a season, he better work out for whichever team that takes him on or he could be a massive burden for 4 more years (and with Minni trying to offload him several times now).

Just now, Alflives said:

Hockey Gaud for Dumbo.  

Dumba was a 50pts D - can Gaudette even reach that as a C.  I would think for someone higher end than Gaudette.  They want to build a true contender - not a team that's just going to make the playoffs.  Coyle, Niederreiter, Granlund were considered not good enough.  

5 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I don't think think it is clear what Minnesota's organizational timeline is. Are they ready for the full rebuild which means that they want 18-19 years old as well as draft picks, or are they wishing to retool their team with players in the 20's? It is much more difficult to find a trade partner for the latter route.

It's unclear.  Guerin has full backing from Leipold. The mandate is to build an elite Cup contender - not a team that just makes the playoffs like they have in the past.  

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Dumba was a 50pts D - can Gaudette even reach that as a C.  I would think for someone higher end than Gaudette.  They want to build a true contender - not a team that's just going to make the playoffs.  Coyle, Niederreiter, Granlund were considered not good enough.  

It's unclear.  Guerin has full backing from Leipold. The mandate is to build an elite Cup contender - not a team that just makes the playoffs like they have in the past.  

If they won’t take Gaud (and no way JB would do that anyway) then they can keep their flying D man. 

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

And adding Zucker might not make that any better, especially if he doesn't pan out like they hope. He's bordering on the Spooner/Gagner/Baertschi level in that he has to produce 50+ points or he's relatively useless otherwise. For 5.5 million a season, he better work out for whichever team that takes him on or he could be a massive burden for 4 more years (and with Minni trying to offload him several times now).

The Wild have really missed Zucker - he was out 4 weeks with a broken fibula and just returned.  Staal is the only F that has produced at a better pace than him this season.  

24 minutes ago, mll said:

The Wild have really missed Zucker - he was out 4 weeks with a broken fibula and just returned.  Staal is the only F that has produced at a better pace than him this season.  

Well I guess they'll miss him enough to sell him potentially (once again). He just doesn't seem like a player that provides much beyond offense and he isn't that stellar offensively. Top 6 point producer for sure at this point, but he has to hit those numbers or he's ineffective. 4 year risk needing his to hit those marks or try to figure out what to do with him on a new team if he's traded.

He had a good contract year and has gone back a bit since. Not very good playoff numbers either.

So many surprisingly weak teams this season..like Nashville for instance.

Sellers want to get ahead of the market. Due to a lack of cap space/bubble PO-contenders, prices to sell will be historically low this TDL.

A guy like Hall got flipped early is more evidence. NYRags, Minny, Nash, OTT, SJ, ANA, maybe Buff soon..lots of these teams prob wanna dump underperforming cap hit. Especially as 2020 is being touted as a very nice crop.

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Gotta say...if Minnesota truly wants a young top-6 C back in this deal, Toronto would be smart to offer Nylander. They've got absolutely nothing at RD after Barrie hits UFA.

Shhh, don't let TSN or SN see this post...

Dumba would be a great addition for our team tho!

Just now, Canuckster86 said:

42pts in 48gp aint bad for wee willy. Makes his contract look good if he can produce like that

He’s soft as Charmin.  He’s a proven Double Flamingo.  He’s got a crazy overpaid long term contract.  He’s got no value. 

• Haha 2

The Wild declined fast.  Staal at $3.25M is going to be a hot ticket even with his modified NTC.  Pro-rated, that may be a cap hit that would be very attractive to another team.  He also has another year remaining.  I can't see the Canucks being able to acquire him for depth due to their cap problems.  Carolina has their own cap issues but who knows, maybe a return of the former captain and the reunification of the Staal bros may be possible?  Can't recall if there was some kind of falling out.

Koivu will presumably also be an attractive target especially if the Wild retain cap for this year.  He's on an expiring contract and is solid defensively.

Can't see Parise or Zucarello being attractive trade options right now.  Their cap hits are too big.

Hartman and Foligno are the only other guys I can see the Wild actively looking to part with though I'm not sure how keen Guerin is with building around Fiala and Donato.

Guerin must hope Victor Rask can turn it around because at $4M per year, I can't see any team willing to acquire him.

7 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I feel like Minnesota isn't going to let Dumba go for anything less than a 1st or a grade A prospect. 

i think your feels are correct, Mr. Funk. 

It would be awesome to get him, but losing Brock - and thats who they would want - would just be a knife in the heart of the fan base and the young core. It would set up unreasonable expectations on Dumba too. It has too much potential to suck. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He’s soft as Charmin.  He’s a proven Double Flamingo.  He’s got a crazy overpaid long term contract.  He’s got no value. 

TO should take Tanev for Flamingo-boy and send us a pick in thanks. 

Dumbs is having a terrible year.  Are people still living off the fact he got 50 points like 3 years ago?  He has worse numbers that Myers this year, he’s got the worst +/- on the entire Minnesota team, and he’s coming off major surgery.  He’s 180 pounds soaking wet and plays a physical game.  He is on the decline, sorry to stay.  I wouldn’t trade Hockey Gaud straight up for him.  Hockey Gaud has a bright future.  Dumba is trending in the opposite direction. 

• Cheers 1