The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] David Backes, Luke Schenn

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

but neither would Schenn be - in fact he'd be the 8th man on a depth chart that is actually healthy.

I don't see the point.

MacEwen is earning an NHL salary - there's something to be said for that - it's a significant gain over his AHL salary - I'm imagining he doesn't mind.

The real EXTRA. man on the roster I can do without is still Eriksson..   and I don’t care about how he’s been playing like an average Mo lately... it money, and a position that could be used better.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, stawns said:

All three have been healthy, for most of the year, but I do get what you're saying.  However, to keep him, Benn and OF on the roster means that fwd depth will have to depleted to make room on the roster.  In thew end, I wouldn't complain about it, but don't think it's absolutely necessary either.

The real EXTRA. man on the roster I can do without is still Eriksson..   and I don’t care about how he’s been playing like an average Mo lately... its money, and a position that could be used better.. ZMac would have had more development games if LE had not been here this season.

• Cheers 1

I can’t help but wonder why Schenn looked so good as a Canuck for a 10 game audition, when he can’t get a job with other NHL teams . 

If he played like that all the time he’d be a regular defenceman on most teams in the league. 

Was he blessed to be playing with Hughes at the same time he was playing for a contract ?

Just now, Toyotasfan said:

I can’t help but wonder why Schenn looked so good as a Canuck for a 10 game audition, when he can’t get a job with other NHL teams . 

If he played like that all the time he’d be a regular defenceman on most teams in the league. 

Was he blessed to be playing with Hughes at the same time he was playing for a contract ?

I don’t understand it myself,.  Maybe depth, and other teams trying to be more progressive than us bringing in prospects to develop?

He did look good with us. .   like I mentioned earlier, I think the real EXTRA. man on the roster I can do without is still Eriksson..   and I don’t care about how he’s been playing like an average Mo lately... its money, and a position that could be used better.. ZMac would have had more development games if LE had not been here this season.. 

Today was an interesting day..  Dougie Hamilton went down til next season for the Canes with a broken leg..  maybe there is a window here to move Tanev?

UFA this season, and I can not see him back with this club next season.. sure Tanev might keep us somewhat shored up for a couple rounds in the playoffs..  be he is usually targeted as the first D to punish in a game to cripple that rear lineup.

at least Schenn is tougher than that..  and he DID play very well for us last season.

interesting times !

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, SilentSam said:

I don’t understand it myself,.  Maybe depth, and other teams trying to be more progressive than us bringing in prospects to develop?

He did look good with us. .   like I mentioned earlier, I think the real EXTRA. man on the roster I can do without is still Eriksson..   and I don’t care about how he’s been playing like an average Mo lately... its money, and a position that could be used better.. ZMac would have had more development games if LE had not been here this season.. 

Today was an interesting day..  Dougie Hamilton went down til next season for the Canes with a broken leg..  maybe there is a window here to move Tanev?

UFA this season, and I can not see him back with this club next season.. sure Tanev might keep us somewhat shored up for a couple rounds in the playoffs..  be he is usually targeted as the first D to punish in a game to cripple that rear lineup.

at least Schenn is tougher than that..  and he DID play very well for us last season.

interesting times !

•  

I agree, but JB won't trade any of our pending UFAs even if it means we lose them to FA for nothing or we lock them all up and keep them. I would 100% trade Tanev, he is healthy and playing well...especially from a team like Carolina we could get TOR 1st round from them for sure.

We can then move 3rd pair D Myers back into the top 4, moving Fantenberg for a 4-6th round pick is also an option for the team making more room for Rafferty and or Tryamkin to get some games in down the stretch.

This year, I think we should capitalize on trading some our players. We aren't giving up on the season by doing that we are progressing. Imagine what the return would be for a Tanev and Marky deal to a team going for it...

Would love to make a trade with Colorado for both of those players...but only if I had a ps4 and nhl20 could I make my idea come true!

• Upvote 1

Sounds like it's still unclear whether Backes will report.  

His cap hit is 6M but his base salary this season is 1M - 3M was already paid in bonuses.  With over half the season gone - it's about 420K left to be paid out.  Next year his salary is 4M (1M in bonus and 3M in salary).  

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

5 minutes ago, mll said:

His cap hit is 6M but his base salary this season is 1M - 3M was already paid in bonuses.  With over half the season gone - it's about 420K left to be paid out.  Next year his salary is 4M (1M in bonus and 3M in salary).  

Louie should be next..   SHOULD.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, mll said:

He was likely given the option of retiring before he was put on waivers, and (clearly) chose not to.  

Just now, SilentSam said:

Louie should be next..   SHOULD.

Loui is helping us now, but I’m still expecting he retires after his July 2020 bonus.  His current play has people forgetting about just how much he’s fallen off as a player, so it would be good timing for him to retire.  He could save his reputation 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Loui is helping us now, but I’m still expecting he retires after his July 2020 bonus.  His current play has people forgetting about just how much he’s fallen off as a player, so it would be good timing for him to retire.  He could save his reputation 

not sure thats a big consideration at this point. I do think he deserves some credit for reinventing his game to be a better defensive player. 

I'm enjoying the new-look Bo line, we actually have secondary scoring again. Who gives two hot $&!#s if Loui personally picks up points, if that line continues to produce as a whole?

• Like 1

I still think we should try to work a deal and send LE back to Boston, take back Backes and hopefully make Boston enticed enough to take that extra year of LE.

Backes could be a good depth F who would help the young kids come playoff time. Overpaid yes, but that experience and leadership would be a valuable addition imo and we dump LE at the same time. we would have to add something to the deal 

5 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

I still think we should try to work a deal and send LE back to Boston, take back Backes and hopefully make Boston enticed enough to take that extra year of LE.

Backes could be a good depth F who would help the young kids come playoff time. Overpaid yes, but that experience and leadership would be a valuable addition imo and we dump LE at the same time. we would have to add something to the deal 

Loui is currently producing in the NHL, Backes is riding an AHL bus. Why the hell would we want him? 

20 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Don’t kid yourself Alf.

He has done more harm by doing nothing for the total time here, there is no saving grace.

His reputation?   Respect has been lost by not doing the right thing when the opportunity existed .  His game now is even less than the average PRO , and considering he has played even worse in the 3 years previous with us, there is no saving grace.

This is a selfish player.
We have given him “special treatment”. .

I like Benning , but he needs to be hammered on that point by the media..  he said nobody would..

Eriksson should have been put in Backes position at the start of the season.

Clear waivers and decide if your going to report to the minors or terminate the contract.

that is what Eriksson deserved.

Hope Schenn still gets some NHL games he has had an interesting journey.

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

Don’t kid yourself Alf.

He has done more harm by doing nothing for the total time here, there is no saving grace.

His reputation?   Respect has been lost by not doing the right thing when the opportunity existed .  His game now is even less than the average PRO , and considering he has played even worse in the 3 years previous with us, there is no saving grace.

This is a selfish player.
We have given him “special treatment”. .

I like Benning , but he needs to be hammered on that point by the media..  he said nobody would..

Eriksson should have been put in Backes position at the start of the season.

Clear waivers and decide if your going to report to the minors or terminate the contract.

that is what Eriksson deserved.

Hope Schenn still gets some NHL games he has had an interesting journey.

Forget about the 1st 3 years of under performance, they mean nothing to tonights game. 

IF Loui was able to continue playing at the same pace and effort as he is now with Bo and Pearson, whats the issue? seems like we're lucky to have finally found a fit. 

If he falls off again then sure, give him the Backes treatment but why do it now when he's final useful? I don't get it. 

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The game is just to fast for some guys now.  I could see both traded now they cleared.  It’s good to have guys like that on the farm as insurance for the stretch drive and playoffs.  

That’s why we should have grabbed Schenn and put Eriksson on waivers Alf.

Once put in Backes position of reporting to the minors or not..  I’d say the probability of Eriksson not reporting and terminating his contract would jump to 80-90%.

and if he did,. Then  his remaining cap space would benefit us again as a buffer

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Forget about the 1st 3 years of under performance, they mean nothing to tonights game. 

IF Loui was able to continue playing at the same pace and effort as he is now with Bo and Pearson, whats the issue? seems like we're lucky to have finally found a fit. 

If he falls off again then sure, give him the Backes treatment but why do it now when he's final useful? I don't get it. 

MONEY  3.5 x  6m

He has stymied the progression of prospects being rotated and developed ..  Green at least had the balls to sit Eriksson so that Guadette could grow this year.. 

it’s now , and to some degree last season effected Macewans TIO. . 
and personally I’d rather have seen more of Bartschi or Boucher , but for 3.5 years privilege has presided.

Edited by SilentSam