The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sharks @ Nucks - Jan 18 2020 - 7pm - HNIC

Rate this topic

xereau

Quinn Hughes comparable?  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, hopefully its a showcasing stint for LE and we can deal him to another team, that is my hope anyway

Considering LE has shown good chemistry going back to last year, and the fact that 70 and 53 have improved their production and +/- since he joined their line...

I doubt its a showcase. Nothing wrong with spreading around the depth. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Considering LE has shown good chemistry going back to last year, and the fact that 70 and 53 have improved their production and +/- since he joined their line...

You are right, Brock going down has nothing to do with anything other than making the team better.

It's a 2B situation, rather than any kind of trouble.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

GDT gold again.

Always packs a punch and makes me laugh.

Boys, take it home....you're getting some time off so would be great to head into that with good feelings that come with a win.  Just do it.  

First game I'm seeing live this season!   Will you be there with your bell Deb?  I'll listen for it :lol:

So excited!  Go Canucks Go!

I predict a Louie hat trick!  One off a defenseman's butt, and two empty netters!

:frantic:

18 hours ago, Bo fan said:

A baby Horvat - cool

Didn't  the Ferlands just have a baby too?

Future prospects? lol

Hope the team is ready to play and not thinking about their vacation

Go Canucks Go

Our 1st round selection in the 2039 NHL draft, Baby Horvat.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Really wish we would put Boes up with Bo and drop LE down to at best the 3rd line, I would move Motte or Sutter to line 3 and LE to the 4th

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Agreed, hopefully its a showcasing stint for LE and we can deal him to another team, that is my hope anyway

I feel the need to weigh in on this one. Since Loui joined the Horvat line on November 30 (I think) that line has been outstanding. They have gone up against the team's top line every night and have won the Corsi battle and the scoring battle almost every night. Bo is over a point a game since then and Pearson is close to it. Loui is picking up points at a rate of 0.5 PPG (which is a solid 2nd line winger level) in addition to playing excellent defensively.

Loui's role on that line is like found money. I thought Loui was a write-off--just a waste of cap space who should probably be waived to Utica in the hope he would retire. But he has turned into a very valuable player on the team. I am not sure how long it will last and he still has a bad contract, but I would ride that line as long it keeps playing well. It was excellent against Arizona, by the way, outplaying the Hall line. (Hall scored against the Gaudette line but, after that, the Canucks tried to hardmatch the Horvat line and Hughes and Tanev against Hall and it worked. I think that line has been maybe the best shutdown line in the league over the past 7 weeks, or close to it. Dropping Loui off that line would be a big mistake in my view. 

That said, there is not much point in showcasing Loui. There is no way another team is picking up that contract for a guy of Loui's age (34). Even if the Canucks retain 50% I don't see it. The best hope the Canucks have is that he continues as he has for the past 7 weeks. If he does, I see the Canucks as very likely to make the playoffs. And, if he can keep it up for another year, great, 

As for Boeser vs. Virtanen on the first line, I can go either way. Playing Boeser on the 3rd line opens up opportunities for Boeser to avoid the other team's top D pairing and it might help Roussel get going. That "3rd line" could start scoring at a top 6 level. Still, I am guessing that the Canucks go back to Virtanen with Gaudette and Boeser with EP pretty soon. 

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 4

1 hour ago, A.V.'s slurp said:

Leivo showed the same chemistry and will be way cheaper, also currently have Brock on the 3rd line and if Ferland can get healthy we will be back to sticking LE down at bottom of the barrel or up in the press box

1 hour ago, bree2 said:

Boeser does not belong on the third line, 

I think its better for the team if that line can find chemistry.  Also think Boes is becoming a very complete player, and can make players around him better.  Would like to see how it plays out.  Virt looked solid on that 1st line.

4 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

I think its better for the team if that line can find chemistry.  Also think Boes is becoming a very complete player, and can make players around him better.  Would like to see how it plays out.  Virt looked solid on that 1st line.

That's a good way of looking at it I am now curious to see how that plays out as well. Would be nice to see him get Gaud going again as well as Rouss.

21 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

BB also carried the puck more often through the neutral zone and was able to shoot the puck off the rush, which is something he has had success with in the past. I think more touches and being the "driver" on that line will result in an increase in BB's confidence. There just isn't enough puck to go around with EP and JT for Brock to get his goal scoring mojo working. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1