The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NO! (Discussion)

16 hours ago, Provost said:

No we won’t.  We will be spending extra to re-sign our RFAs because they will want nothing to do with wasting their prime years on a team that is intentionally trying to lose in several years of their very short careers.

Any futures we get aren’t going to be ready to play for 2-3 years, and replacing the guys we sell off for equivalent UFAs will be more expensive than just keeping our own players.

There is no such thing as a constant rebuild that eventually goes somewhere. Your players come off their ELCs really quickly and you have to pay them market rate.  

I hate to bring it up but Boston has stayed relatively competitive since 2011 and has sold some players along the way.

Seguin, Hamilton, Boychuck, Mcquaid, Lucic.

I'm not saying we trade prime players but I would always be focusing on acquiring long term assets. I wouldn't intentionally lose but I think we could make some moves especially when you have a good farm team where other players can fill holes.

For example, could we trade a dman and bring Tree back this spring?

Edited by Chris12345

20 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

I hate to bring it up but Boston has stayed relatively competitive since 2011 and has sold some players along the way.

Seguin, Hamilton, Boychuck, Mcquaid, Lucic.

I'm not saying we trade prime players but I would always be focusing on acquiring long term assets. I wouldn't intentionally lose but I think we could make some moves especially when you have a good farm team where other players can fill holes.

For example, could we trade a dman and bring Tree back this spring?

None of those moves were made in season or during a playoff run.

They also weren’t all selling off players, they were making trades to either make their team better or to make cap space in order to make their team better.

I didn’t say we should make trades, I said we shouldn’t be trading current valuable players for futures at this point. It would cost us a lot more in cap and assets in the long run than it gains you.

Tryamkin won’t be available until after his team is done their playoff run so likely not in time to help us this season.  There are also real question marks as to whether he is a legit NHLer.  That seems like a thing to do after the season and decide whether we can afford to keep Tanev or Stecher.  If we have to let one or both of them go, then we can look at Tryamkin and/or Rafferty.

The market is also a lot different now.  There are now always solid veteran players available for cheap to fill the bottom of your roster... so getting lower end prospects for those spots isn’t as important.

• Cheers 1

There are players of Tanev's or less caliber who have been traded at the deadline for decent returns. Gudbranson and Evander Kane are the first 2 that jump to mind.

Considering Tanev's contract is up this year and guessing that he'll want more money for more term next year it might be best to look for somebody else who might be interested in offering it to him and also giving something worth having up in return. If it's not there then, oh well.

Stecher is young, healthy, a good 3rd pairing defenseman and it might be better to hold off on him until we know if Rafferty, Woo, or Tryamkin or even Benn (I hear he can play the right) can fill the gap or gaps on the right.

Edited by John_Guest