CBH1926

Coronavirus outbreak

Recommended Posts

Canada closes cross-border park where families reunited

The Associated Press
June 18, 2020 01:39 PM
 

SURREY, B.C. — British Columbia has temporarily closed a park where American and Canadian friends and families have been able to reunite despite the closed U.S.-Canada border.

 

Authorities said Thursday that Peace Arch Provincial Park in Surrey, British Columbia, had become too crowded, raising concerns about traffic and public safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

 

The park is adjacent to Peace Arch Historical State Park in Washington state. Visitors from both sides can cross the border without showing passports or other forms of identification, as long as they remain in the park.

 

With the border closed to nonessential travel, the park has been one of the only options for separated friends and families to see each other. Some cross-border couples have even had their weddings there.

 

But British Columbia officials say parking lots and access roads have been overwhelmed with nearly twice as many vehicles as typical peak summer traffic. Efforts to manage the number of visitors by posting signs, increasing patrols and limiting park hours have fallen short, they said.

 

Officials have also noted that Canada recently changed travel restrictions to allow immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to enter Canada to be with an immediate family member as long as they are asymptomatic of COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days on arrival.

 

Authorities said they would reopen the park when they deem it safe to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

And the Darwin award goes to.....

 

 

 

My only concern is anybody that Sheriff Barney Fife might've infected.  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm actually surprised that Edmonton isn't getting more attention. Relatively low infection risk and the consensus best ice in the league.....

It makes a lot of sense in a practical way but I don't see the players being too thrilled to spend their summers in Edmonton. 

29 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Canada closes cross-border park where families reunited

The Associated Press
June 18, 2020 01:39 PM
 

SURREY, B.C. — British Columbia has temporarily closed a park where American and Canadian friends and families have been able to reunite despite the closed U.S.-Canada border.

 

Authorities said Thursday that Peace Arch Provincial Park in Surrey, British Columbia, had become too crowded, raising concerns about traffic and public safety during the coronavirus pandemic.

 

The park is adjacent to Peace Arch Historical State Park in Washington state. Visitors from both sides can cross the border without showing passports or other forms of identification, as long as they remain in the park.

 

With the border closed to nonessential travel, the park has been one of the only options for separated friends and families to see each other. Some cross-border couples have even had their weddings there.

 

But British Columbia officials say parking lots and access roads have been overwhelmed with nearly twice as many vehicles as typical peak summer traffic. Efforts to manage the number of visitors by posting signs, increasing patrols and limiting park hours have fallen short, they said.

 

Officials have also noted that Canada recently changed travel restrictions to allow immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents to enter Canada to be with an immediate family member as long as they are asymptomatic of COVID-19 and self-isolate for 14 days on arrival.

 

Authorities said they would reopen the park when they deem it safe to do so.

Apparently there was a whole bunch of conjugal visits going on between cross-border couples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And the Darwin award goes to.....

 

 

 

My only concern is that anybody that Sheriff Barney Fife might've infected himself won't be harmed.  

Meh there just making him out to be a sacrificial lamb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Panthers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Not really surprising. 

FLA's rates are rising exponentially are they not? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not really surprising. 

FLA's rates are rising exponentially are they not? 

Bodes well for the upcoming RNC in Jacksonville....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Not really surprising. 

FLA's rates are rising exponentially are they not? 

Florida coronavirus cases rise 4.4% vs 7-day average of 3.2%

Fri 19 Jun 2020 14:42:02 GMT

 

Virus data released by Florida on Friday, June 19, 2020:

  • Yesterday cases rose 3.9%
  • New cases were a record 3822 vs 3207 yesterday
  • Total cases were 89,748 vs 85,926 yesterday
  • Hospitalizations rose 1.6% vs 1.5% yesterday
  • Percent of tests positive 11.67%
  • Deaths were 43 yesterday
Numerous Florida hospitals are reporting no or very few ICU beds available.
 
A newswire initially had this at 3.4% and so did we but looking at the raw numbers, it's 4.44%.
 
Here's the Florida curve (not including today).
Florida curve
 
Here's the daily net change, which includes today:
Florida daily cases
 
There's a lively debate about the young/old split. In Florida and a number of states the cases are skewing towards people under-35. On the face of it, that's good because they are more likely to fight it off with minimal symptoms.
 
The flipside is that those people are more-likely to spread it and to spread it to more-vulnerable people.

So the arc of the virus is:
  1. Outbreak, hitting elderly particularly hard
  2. Lockdown
  3. Young people go back out and get the virus again
  4. Wider outbreak as young people pass the virus more quickly and to the sick
Alternatively, if steps are taken to protect the sick and vulnerable then the outbreak simply circulates among healthier people and the unhealthy don't get it. Place your bets.
 
********************
 
Lots of states look like this. I could post similar data for California, Arizona, The Carolinas etc etc etc.
Edited by nuckin_futz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Yikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stawns said:

yes, lets let Canadians who've lost their jobs due to the oandemic also lose their cars, their homes etc.  I'd rather have a government that goes too far to protect it's citizens than one that says "**** you, you're on your own".  There are always going to be people who abuse the system........the juice is well worth the squeeze, imo.

 

Yes, we should've opened up just like the US, I mean it worked for them right?

 

I'm glad you led with the "purposeful attack" chestnut as it gave me a frame of reference for the rest of your post.

The goal from the outset was to get aid out to the people who needed it in a timely manner without having to go through hoops and hurdles.  Unfortunately, fraud will always be an issue if you don't have the safeguards in place (which takes time to implement).  The government was prepared for this.  Also theres an argument to be made that more money in the hands of the population is a good thing to keep people spending now and in the future.

 

  • Hydration 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Florida coronavirus cases rise 4.4% vs 7-day average of 3.2%

Fri 19 Jun 2020 14:42:02 GMT
The flipside is that those people are more-likely to spread it and to spread it to more-vulnerable people.

So the arc of the virus is:
  1. Outbreak, hitting elderly particularly hard
  2. Lockdown
  3. Young people go back out and get the virus again
  4. Wider outbreak as young people pass the virus more quickly and to the sick
Alternatively, if steps are taken to protect the sick and vulnerable then the outbreak simply circulates among healthier people and the unhealthy don't get it. Place your bets.
 
********************
 
Lots of states look like this. I could post similar data for California, Arizona, The Carolina etc etc etc.

This article is calling Florida the next 'epicenter'.  I can see why TBL shut down their facilities. 

 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/18/us/us-coronavirus-thursday/index.html

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

 

Too late for Bone Spurs to have a rally in the State of Florida?:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

we're not going to see hockey this year are we?

Like I before...call it season. Hope for a short season next year. 

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

If I’m not mistaken, the players have to agree on the hub cities or at least have input on the decision. The players are going to prefer to be in a city like Vegas or Toronto rather than Edmonton or Columbus. 

GENEVA — The coronavirus pandemic is accelerating, with Thursday’s 150,000 new cases the highest in a single day and nearly half of them in the Americas, the World Health Organization (WHO) said.

“The world is in a new and dangerous phase,” Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told a virtual briefing from WHO headquarters in Geneva. “The virus is still spreading fast, it is still deadly, and most people are still susceptible.”

 

https://theprovince.com/news/world/coronavirus-pandemic-accelerating-with-americas-worst-who/wcm/cc526dab-6cde-4896-873b-02b37e7e2e34

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, wloutet said:

Apparently Austin Matthews has tested positive for COVID-19.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...