The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Green!

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

5 minutes ago, DSVII said:

I'm indifferent at this point, but if we do fire him, we need to replace him with a coach that has an NHL pedigree and body of work. We can't cheap out on another rookie coach like we did a rookie GM and President. The core is here, we need someone with experience who can take it to the next level.

we were fortunate to have that rookie president - shouldn't have run him out of the job.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, cdgraham said:

I love the reasoning that a decision needs to made asap because "the media are getting restless" lool I sincerely hope nothing the team does is related to the media (if that's not what you meant all good just thought it was funny) 

Media feeds the people and ultimately the people pay and make the owners money. Or don't. If negativity swirls around the org, it breeds problems. Look at Buffalo.

55 minutes ago, Davathor said:

It is a ridiculous thought. What kind of 2 bit organization hires a coach based on a player vote? This isn't elementary school, it's a multi

-million dollar business. Worst idea I've seen on here in a long time

I imagine our more veteran players are the very best ones to rate Green's performance as opposed to an owner or others looking into the locker room from afar. The owner makes the decision but getting input even one on one from the players is useful. Lots of businesses give surveys to employees to rate their managers. Don't see why, although maybe unconventional, it couldn't work here.

If we lose Green then figure out it wasn't him at all, it could set this rebuild back further and nobody wants that. Perhaps this is the perfect time to think outside the box.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:02 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

I disagree, no matter what a team needs to believe they can win, they need to learn how to win and that is the coaches job.

I agree. The coach is NOT the captain. It's up to the coach to organize, deploy and motivate the players he is given. If he is inconsistent, then that's on him. If you go to work and do a crap job, who are you going to pass the buck to? Step up to the plate or beat it. 

The fact that Benning hasn’t signed Green yet leads me to believe that it isn’t happening. Hopefully this means that Benning is on his way out.

I’d be alright if Green is kept on, just as long as the two numbskulls who’ve assisted him are jettisoned as soon as the last game is played. I highly doubt that any team with any designs on being competitive would hire a joke like Nolan Baumgartner. 

27 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I imagine our more veteran players are the very best ones to rate Green's performance as opposed to an owner or others looking into the locker room from afar. The owner makes the decision but getting input even one on one from the players is useful. Lots of businesses give surveys to employees to rate their managers. Don't see why, although maybe unconventional, it couldn't work here.

If we lose Green then figure out it wasn't him at all, it could set this rebuild back further and nobody wants that. Perhaps this is the perfect time to think outside the box.

Having players pick their own coach is thinking outside the box?

Lmao OK

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Green is not a difference maker and he is not irreplaceable. If he leaves, the team can replace him. His systems and deployment are not very effective so its hard to see how things could get much worse than they have been with him as coach.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The fact that Benning hasn’t signed Green yet leads me to believe that it isn’t happening. Hopefully this means that Benning is on his way out.

Hopefully yes.... But Bennings track record in blaming others suggests he tries to use Green as a scapegoat. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Hopefully yes.... But Bennings track record in blaming others suggests he tries to use Green as a scapegoat. 

So Green is the gratuitous ugly girl to make all the other girls look prettier.

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

we were fortunate to have that rookie president - shouldn't have run him out of the job.

I absolutely agree, he had a shaky start but by 2017 I felt he was starting to get the hang of the job. Too bad Aqua didn't share the opinion. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure anyone could watch all the games this season and conclude that this team does any of those things consistently.

Thats the problem. This team plays dump and chase minus the chase. Look at the last game.  Winnipeg carries the puck in a lot but when they do dump they have guys who actually get in on the forecheck. 9 times out of 10 the Canucks dump and change.

The top players on this team are far more suited to a puck possession style offense and off the rush entries. When you give up the puck easily 90% of the time, you end up defending a lot more. Add in the absolute 1980's level defensive scheme they use and its obvious why the goalies have to make 40 saves just to give the team a chance to win.

Dude, this is a dog tired team, more than half of which is AHL caliber, playing on fumes.  The fact that they won the first game vs. Winnipeg was good enough for me.  Winnipeg is good at getting into passing lanes and taking the possession game away.  The Canucks need to get the puck deep to facilitate their quick changes, which is why they don't always chase that well.

14 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Dude, this is a dog tired team, more than half of which is AHL caliber, playing on fumes.  The fact that they won the first game vs. Winnipeg was good enough for me.  Winnipeg is good at getting into passing lanes and taking the possession game away.  The Canucks need to get the puck deep to facilitate their quick changes, which is why they don't always chase that well.

The team has played that same style long before covid bud. Literally has nothing to do with my points above.