The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Fire Green!

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

12 hours ago, Grape said:

I think coaching is generally overrated in hockey. It's much more of a player's game compared to basketball and especially football

That's where you're wrong buddy-boy. Team systems are everything in hockey and systems are created and implemented by the coaching staff. Thats why you can plug any player into a team that plays a good system and they'll have success. Gudbranson moving from Vancouver to Pittsburgh is a perfect example. A huge liability for us but within a month or two of playing in PIT he played like a reliable stay at home D man. He didn't just magically improve his game but rather it was the result of getting put on a team that had a solid defensive system in place.

12 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I feel a team adopts a coaches attitude and plays as such, I feel Green is way to soft and as a result our team is too soft to have playoff success.

The players have also seemed to adopt the "we played good enough, it's not our fault we lost, they're a heavy team" attitude which isn't a playoff attitude.

• Wat 3

7 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

The players have also seemed to adopt the "we played good enough, it's not our fault we lost, they're a heavy team" attitude which isn't a playoff attitude.

I'm not sure that paraphrase represents the players' attitude on any level.

ie.  Have you ever heard a Jacob Markstrom post-loss interview?  I think he better represents the 'attitude' in that room.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

But firing a winning/overachieving coach

Yep, their winning has nothing to do with Petterson, Hughes, Miller, Horvat etc and everything to do with the excellent PP system, defensive system, and breakout strategy Green has allowed to be implemented. :lol: 

Its the other way around.  Petterson and Hughes are players who can dominate hockey games by themselves and they're still rookies! Those guys could win hockey games with a paper bag as a coach. Please don't try to pin their success on Green and his beer leauge systems.

On  a positive note I've noticed the last 2 games the Canucks appear to be using the forwards as puck support on the breakouts so perhaps Green has finally figured out that playing the forwards high results in a very low success rate of gaining the zone with posession.  It only took him 80+ games to see what others pointed out after 20 but perhaps he's turning the corner.

• Wat 1

13 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I love our team, hate the coaching. Yeah, I know that today we are #1 in our division but we are one loss away from 6th. I’m not a Green lover, I think he’s way to soft of a coach to have any playoff success so I’ll put my money where my mouth is:

I will donate to Canucks Place as follows:

$25 if we win the first round under Green.

$50 more if we win the second round under Green.

$100 more if we win the conference finals under Green.

$150 more if we win the cup under Green.

Bookmark it, quote me, hold me accountable, I’m putting my beer money where my mouth is.

waka flocka ok GIF

3 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Yep, their winning has nothing to do with Petterson, Hughes, Miller, Horvat etc and everything to do with the excellent PP system, defensive system, and breakout strategy Green has allowed to be implemented. :lol: 

Its the other way around.  Petterson and Hughes are players who can dominate hockey games by themselves and they're still rookies! Those guys could win hockey games with a paper bag as a coach. Please don't try to pin their success on Green and his beer leauge systems.

On  a positive note I've noticed the last 2 games the Canucks appear to be using the forwards as puck support on the breakouts so perhaps Green has finally figured out that playing the forwards high results in a very low success rate of gaining the zone with posession.  It only took him 80+ games to see what others pointed out after 20 but perhaps he's turning the corner.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

12 hours ago, Unknown1995 said:

Yeah and Tort's and Crawford had won cup's before they joined our team as head coaches. 

None of them helped our team win a cup after they joined our team. (They only won one series combined in their time here. )

Crow is a good coach. He had a winning record during his time here.  With talent like Dave Scatchard and Jan Bulis in the lineup did you really expect him to bring home the Cup?

9 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Um - for all the times I've heard posters on these boards rip this team's "systems" - I have never once heard anyone provide a credible elaboration on what those systems actually are.

Most people here have literally no idea what systems this team employs - it is invariably and hopelessly reduced to 'dump and chase'....or 'defend the 0-0 tie'.  One of these boards' greatest ironings imo.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, the grinder said:

ya finally he has some talent to work with   lol  ,  look where Jake is today  , wouldn't you say  Green had something to do with that., It has been well documented that Green worked with Jake in Utica, and  remember this year at the beginning of training camp when Green sent the message to jake.  I would say that has been effective coaching  and Jakes game shows that now .

Ha! Green deployed Jake all wrong. 4th line grinder minutes, no PP. Green finally smartened up and moved him up the lineup and onto the PP and look at him now. JV should have been on PP2 from Game 1 this season not from Game 43. If Green was a good coach he would have recognized that. If anything he's stifled JVs development. 

• Wat 5

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not sure that paraphrase represents the players' attitude on any level.

ie.  Have you ever heard a Jacob Markstrom post-loss interview?  I think he better represents the 'attitude' in that room.

A direct quote from after hours last night "We have a team that really hates losing" (I think it was Pearson, but it might ave been Hughes)

12 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Crow is a good coach. He had a winning record during his time here.  With talent like Dave Scatchard and Jan Bulis in the lineup did you really expect him to bring home the Cup?

Disagree.

Crow is the main reason the Canucks blew a 3-1 series lead against Minny in '03. The WCE were getting dominated by the Gaborik line, but Crawford refused to try and get out of that match up. Lemaire completely schooled him....

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The league is reading our mail. Our rumblings about Green after our losing streak and lo and behold everyone else starts firing coaches. 

I think someone from the Canucks staff is on the forums. Its probably the Director of Social Media or something similar so they can gauge fan sentiment but our voices do get heard and if we scream loud enough our message will be relayed to the highest echelons of the organization. 

• Cheers 1