The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson has been playing well

Rate this topic

Bad_BOI_pete

Glad to see him playing well and contributing to the team.  However, like many on here you could find a similar player to take his place at a third the cost. It is like mounting a snowplow to the front of your Porsche to clear the road when an old Ford pick up would do the same job.

4 hours ago, timberz21 said:

You do realize that Eriksson only score 30 goals twice in his career right?  Not trying to argue that Eriksson doesn'T have a bad contract, but right now if he can play and contribute in any way without being a liability, that's a win.  When his 6M$ is a total waste is when he's bought out, siting in the pressbox or burried in the minor.  So if he can contribute to our 2nd line and the team is winning....that's a win in my book.

And how many 30 goals season does Brock Boeser have with his 5.87M$ salary?  I guess he's another guy who's overpaid. FYI he won't be getting 60 assists either.

You just compared Boeser to Eriksson.

They paid Boeser for his potential to become a 30 goal player and yes if he doesn't hit 30 goals sometime within his contract it will be a disappointment. Boeser gets a pass right now cause he has been dealing with bigger issues this season, you know his father. The last time I check he was still on pace for 27-28 goals.

I'm glad there's something positive happening for him and he's able to contribute. I hope he continues to find more confidence so he can rewrite his time here and feel good.

Playing wise, he's had tough time finding his footing from day one really. The fact that he's playing well only makes us better at the right time. I'm glad Burke was supportive of him during the broadcast the other night.

Loui's goal last game came exactly from where he plays best - down low, in front if net, off the rebound. If you look back on that 30 goal season, he was really effective and productive in front of the net.

I find it difficult to agree that Louie has been playing well. Maybe he's stepped up his game a little bit but still not to the point that I would say he is doing well.

This team would still be better served to find a better player for that position, 

14 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Yes he has. He has new found jump in his game again.

This is what I've noticed most.  Can't remember which game it was recently, but saw one of the Canucks skating hard up the boards to battle past the defender to assist on a goal was an eye opener for me.  I could have sworn it was Bo or Miller, but when I saw it was Loui, I was shocked.  He has definitely found his groove on that 2nd line.

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Ericksson is a good player, simply overpaid 

if he body checked hard and used his size i would be good,

in the tough going we don't need passengers,

Petie hits more than him

Edited by Hairy Kneel

2 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Glad to see him playing well and contributing to the team.  However, like many on here you could find a similar player to take his place at a third the cost. It is like mounting a snowplow to the front of your Porsche to clear the road when an old Ford pick up would do the same job.

your right but isn’t his contract connected to the cap and have to be paid anyway and only a mil saved to send him to uttica? has management a deal in place to keep louie up if he retires at seasons end? i don’t know, do you? i’m sure management is handling the matter with the team’s best interest in mind. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

Lou has been a lazy player for us but lately he seems to be working hard.

Thank you Lou for your hard work lately but what about before? 

Poor lou.  Every body picks on Lou 

It may just be that the team was so bad and tanking for golden nuggets, so what was the point.

But now that the Canucks took on the goal to make the playoffs, everything counts. 

Perhaps the Canucks’ current success motivates Eriksson to play. 

It just feels good to see him perform in an important role.

Hes been playing well doesn’t change much I still hope he magically gets traded waived or retires. 

His cap hit could be spent way better same goes for sutter. Like oh I don’t know maybe securing some of the actual future of this team and an all star goaltender 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, Tracksuit said:

Hes been playing well doesn’t change much I still hope he magically gets traded waived or retires. 

His cap hit could be spent way better same goes for sutter. Like oh I don’t know maybe securing some of the actual future of this team and an all star goaltender 

why not include myers, edler, tanev, ferland,beagle, roussel, benn, schaller and stecher? 

8 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The site Natural Stat Trick has a neat line comparison tool. You can see the impact of players on and off lines.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20192020&thruseason=20192020&stype=2&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=VAN&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2019-10-02&td=2020-04-04&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=8477500&p2=8476871&p3=8470626&p4=0&p5=0

So for Bo's line the impact is really significant in goals for and goals against with or without Loui. Its an undeniably great fit at the moment. 

You can also swap out Loui for Leivo e.g., and can see that Leivo wasn't nearly as impactful.  

my man !

18 hours ago, DollarAndADream said:

Lowkey, Loui Eriksson would be very loved by fans if he was earning like $2-3 million or less. The guy has always been great at fore and backchecking, but just hasn't put it together much offensively in Vancouver.

Really?   If he were paid $2 - $3 million, and had scored 5 goals, and 3 assists, as he has this year, (and weren't at least 2 of those empty netters?) why would he be "very loved"?  Just for his penalty killing? And yes, he's sat some games, but whose fault is that? Green would have definitely played him if he was better than his choices at the time. I think he'd not be the whipping boy, I'll grant you that, but "very loved"?

I don't want to harp  on the guy, but as Ray Ferraro was saying today when Price was egging him on to agree at how wonderful and charming this Louie story is...he replied uh...why would he be "charmed" at this latest Loui story?  He is charmed more by stories of the scrub in the minors that fights his way to the NHL and sticks. Louie is finally playing like a $2 - $3 million dollar player, and only lately.  He was previously not even playing well enough to bump $1.5 million dollar players.

Is it better he is playing well enough to stick to the lineup when there are no other options because everyone else is injured? Ferland and Leivo at least. I guess. Woo Hoo.  Better than not.  I'd still rather Leivo was there and healthy @ $1.5  cap hit. Louie is a long time NHLer, so yes he does have more experience in the big league which helps his case, especially defensively. So that's good. And when he's actually interested, as he has been lately, he is competent, and more trustworthy defensively than younger players such as Gaudette and Virtanen for Green.  I'll say I'm glad we have him available to fill in, that he isn't injured too, because he's playing a great fill-in role now.

But I still hope like heck he decides to retire this summer after his last bonus is paid out. I think he will be at $32,000,000 in actual take home money then.  His base salary would be only $1 million for 20/21 and $3 million for 21/22.  Heck, offer him a "consultant job" for two years for 4 million, like the other Lou in Florida. I don't care what anyone says, him and his cap hit are a distraction in the dressing room and the sooner he's gone the better it will be for the rest of the team.

1 hour ago, Tracksuit said:

We will probably end up trading Sutter in the off-season and Baer. Will be a lot easier with 1 year left. Sutter could garner interest if he stays healthy. Good defensive bottom 6 guy good for 15 goals. Probably won't get much in return though. 

Almost 8 million in cap between them both. That should help us a lot with the cap next off-season.

Would love if Eriksson retired though. He's playing good enough for like 2-3 million but 6 million could be spent elsewhere.

Imagine if all 3 were off the team... 14 million in extra cap on top of the 18 million we're getting next off-season... Could re-sign everyone(Gaud, Virtanen, Tanev, Markstrom, Motte) and still have enough for a couple players.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

It’s nice to see he’s playing well. 

His determination seems to have raised a level. With some returning injuries I expect there to be a dog fight out there for a group of Canucks to battle to stay in the line up Eriksson is a part of that group. Nice problem for Green to have while building the starting game roster each night and good leverage to keep this squad battle hardened and not soft.