The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toews & Keith get into scrap at morning skate

Rate this topic

Deets

46 minutes ago, Monty said:

I think the Canucks future is better than it has been in a very, very long time. My only concern is with defence, past Hughes. Pretty light on RHD. But still very good compared to most teams’ current and future in the NHL.

Only two teams I can think of, off the top of my head that are just as good (if not better), would be Colorado and Carolina. Carolina’s future, in particular, is downright scary.

Aho is currently playing behind Staal, instead of ahead. Like last year? And he has been spending time at RW. 

Not that that is an indictment.

But does leave me wondering if they are good enough at C to be an elite team. 

On D Hamilton has been playing out of his mind. They are solid, more so than us for sure, but unspectacular behind Hamilton. Their real strength is on wing, Teravainen, Svech in particular, Necas & and an army of wqorker bee's, including on the farm which is also a good team. But they are ppor in net. Not sure bringing up Nedeljkovic will resolve that?

I am holding out for Necas making a successfl conversion back to C before I can annoint Carolina.   Aho getting the coaches trust for top minutes. And when Staal is their 3C, I will think they are truly dangerous.

33 minutes ago, Monty said:

Considering how badly certain clubs need to improve their defence, I'd be shocked if the Canucks won a bidding war on Pietrangelo (and if they should get into a bidding war for him). He's an elite player, there's no arguing that. But after tying up $12M in two free agents who should not have been handed out that much money to begin with, I'm just not sure how he clears the necessary cap space to get him. Especially with extensions to Pettersson and Hughes coming in a few years time, which will be nothing short than $21M+ for the two of them.

No doubt winning  a bidding war for Pietro would create some problems for us.  But it would be better money spent than the $12 mill we did. It would mean jetting Tamev & Markstrom to afford. Or a miracle dump of LE's cap hit. As I mentioned, losing Tanev & Marky might not actually make us better?

Myers still has been useful talent in our line up. He never helped Winnipegs up tiempo game. He has ours. Not fantastic or anyting. I could be critical, complain his smarts dont match his skills. He does make brain farts. His skills also rescue him at other times, or create plays out of nothing. Does not recognize or capitalize on a high enough % of opportunities. But he has undeniable speed, size & skill. I am sure the Jets, price notwithstanding, would prefer him to Sbisa. I sure do.      

If the Jets could afford him oer Sbisa, I am sure they would have.

Edited by Canuck Surfer
spelling

3 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Myers still has been useful talent in our line up. He never helped Winnipegs up tiempo game. He has ours. Not fantastic or anyting.

Biggest contribution Myers has made has been to lift some of the weight off of both Edler and Tanev's shoulders (and likely one of the main reasons Tanev's also been able to stay comparatively healthy this year).

That's no small benefit! 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

If the Jets could afford him oer Sbisa, I am sure they would have.

Not too long ago I went over Myers’ Corsi history, including this year. And for the Jets, Tucker Poolman was seen as the replacement coming into this year.

Poolman has been better for the Jets than Myers was, at a fraction of the cost.

1 hour ago, Deets said:

Looks like Jonathan Toews is sick of Keith's crap as well... :bigblush:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1932023

Chicago Blackhawks stalwarts Jonathan Toews and Duncan Keith got into a dustup at Tuesday's morning skate, according to multiple reporters, including The Athletic's Mark Lazerus.

Toews had Keith pinned down on the ice and had most of his jersey off before assistant coach Sheldon Brookbank broke them up. The rest of the team gave the players a few stick taps and the morning skate resumed as usual.

"Just some friendly wrestling ... That's the whole point of a morning skate, to get you ready for the game," Toews told Lazerus. "We're ready now."

Toews and Keith, who have been teammates for 13 years and won three Stanley Cups together, seemed to patch things up rather quickly.

https://twitter.com/jcgreenx/status/1219659755523887105

Unfortunately, a full video of the fight has yet to surface.

The Blackhawks will look to make it six consecutive wins on Tuesday against the Florida Panthers in Joel Quenneville's return to the United Center.

this sound a lot like how my dogs established dominance. Keith got humped. 

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Carolina’s future, in particular, is downright scary.

I'm honestly very curious about your opinion, because I don't really follow another teams, so if you could elaborate on that here or in PM that would be awesome)

Edited by Rubik

2 minutes ago, Monty said:

Not too long ago I went over Myers’ Corsi history, including this year. And for the Jets, Tucker Poolman was seen as the replacement coming into this year.

Poolman has been better for the Jets than Myers was, at a fraction of the cost.

Poolman being hurt has hurt the Jets for sure. I thought he was playing great as well.

But compare apples to apples. Poolman is on an ELC. Any ELC playing well helps a team resolve issues. Myers is better value than Byfuglien so far this year is an equally incongruent, but true statement. Byfuglien's contract, and whatever it was happened between his physical in May, training camp in September has completely flucked the Jets. Its actually worse than Eriksson's ATM. Eriksson is at least playing. Every team has their ,istakes to deal with.

And hot off the presses; https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/the-jets-defensive-deficiencies-are-catching-up

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Biggest contribution Myers has made has been to lift some of the weight off of both Edler and Tanev's shoulders (and likely one of the main reasons Tanev's also been able to stay comparatively healthy this year).

That's no small benefit! 

I agree.

Like most defenders not named Pietrangelo? He has his demons.  He makes play mistakes, defensively & offensively. He does not have Tanev's ice in his veins, can stop and puff a cigarette calmness, ability to read play. He is playing almost 22 minutes a night. Helped us score some goals, cost us some with gaffs. 

But his 6'7'' or 6'8'' size and his speed is undeniable. He even has some agility. Ability to handle the puck.  I do wonder why he is not more effective? Its hockey smarts. Also undeniable. That he can handle those minutes regardless, create as much good as bad? That he can keep up with our best defenders, opposing teams forwards, physically? Does mean the coach can deploy our truly best defenders to their strengths. 

Tanev, Hughes, Edler all benefit from having Myers in the line up.

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Poolman is on an ELC. Any ELC playing well helps a team resolve issues.

Nope. He already had his 1 year ELC after college. He just signed a dirty cheap contract on a 1 way deal afterwards.

5 minutes ago, Monty said:

Nope. He already had his 1 year ELC after college. He just signed a dirty cheap contract on a 1 way deal afterwards.

Sorry. You are sorta correct.

Like Rafferty & Teves are already on their 2knd contract because they signed their ELC at a mature age. They were immediately eligible for a 2knd contract.

It matters little.  None had virtually any NHL experience. So had no bargaining power for a bigger contract. Nor did Poolman.

You are welcome to the opinion it makes the Jets geniuses. 

The real truth, for us and your Jets is that it pays to draft, stockpile, and develop good draft picks & young players. Gaudette is helping us. Poolman was helping the Jets. Rafferty may help us? He looks great in the AHL. Eriksson is hurting us. Byfuglien is hurting the Jets.

You can pin ''Myers is a bad cap hit,'' or "Myers is bad corsi'' type dialogue. I recall clear as day you arguing Myers should re-sign last year.  As long as he signs for the figure the Jets could afford. The world does not work that way.

Myers, it could be argued is overpaid. Is not perfect. Is still helping our team. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's no small benefit! 

They do play Myers a lot. He has helped but maybe his play would be better with less ice-time though? 

That's the trade-off though. Who do you give more ice-time then? They don't like to play the 3rd pairing a lot. Stech and Fanta play a lot of 15 min or under games.

Maybe down the line if Tryamkin returns and Brogan pans out we are able to roll 3 pairings more often If we manage to keep Tanev. Gonna need to move someone out for that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I recall clear as day you arguing Myers should re-sign last year.

:lol: 

If I did, which is somewhat possible, I would have said it shouldn’t be anything more than $4M. Nobody in Winnipeg believed he was anything more than that. Far too many holes in his game. Doesn’t help when the coach says more negative about your game than positive. 

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

f I did, which is somewhat possible, I would have said it shouldn’t be anything more than $4M.

Yeah, by memory that was actually almost exactly it.  

In a day when top players get $12 mill. And good players get %6 to $8 mill. Its probably not realistic to build your team expecting to pay UFA top 4 D $4mill. They walk.

Because Poolman played well for a few months? But is now injured. Does not also mean they are better off with Sbisa than Myers in your top 4. Or Kulikov. Or that Bitetto is great on the bottom pair? The Jets let a good situation get away from themselves.  Winnipeg probably needs to flush their relationship with Buff.  Great, but also toxic at times. So they can afford to pay some other guy just like Myers $6 mill.  

It will buy them time for Heinola, Samberg, maybe Lundmark.

1 minute ago, Canuck Surfer said:

So they can afford to pay some other guy just like Myers $6 mill. 

Definitely. Not.

Winnipeg is an organization where they’ve been able to pay their best players to take a pay cut. Locking up Morrissey at $6.25M per wouldn’t have been possible if they would have overpaid Myers; a player they deployed as a 3rd pairing defenseman, and in situations that cater to him (see: more OZ starts). He’s not good defensively. He’s also not great offensively. So when you’re a team that needs to find dollars for Laine, Connor, Morrissey, and coming up in Pionk (boy is that guy producing), I think they’d rather pay them than, you know, an overrated 29 year old who’s only been getting worse.

So far, the Jets have done well to let their UFAs walk to let other teams take on those contracts (ie: Ladd). This isn’t revisionist history, either. Everyone knew what type of defenseman (or lack of defensive play) Myers was while he was in Buffalo and Winnipeg. There was a reason Winnipeg didn’t mind seeing him go. His deficiencies in the defensive zone weren’t something they felt they couldn’t correct internally, and for a lot cheaper. 

At the moment, the Jets wouldn’t be anything more than a bubble team if they had Myers. They aren’t missing his minimal offence, and they certainly aren’t missing his brain lapses defensively. Long story short, they don’t win anymore games with him in the lineup. Which is why they didn’t need to tie up $6M into him (or even $4M).