The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Discussion, Larry Walker, In The Hall Of Fame!!!

John McClane

Interesting to see that Schilling, Clemens and Bonds all missed the 75% requirement. Two juicers and a POS Trump fan...

...here's hoping for two more years of failure for all three. (That being said, I bet all three get in on their final chance)

39 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

Great news!

He pummels Jeter in every stat category yet Jeter is a shoe-in and Walker gets in by the skin of his teeth.

Derek Jeter is the single greatest SS in Modern Baseball history. He won gold gloves. He won Silver Slugger Awards. He won more WS Titles than the Red Sox Organization has won in the last 100 years. He is one of the greatest playoff athletes in sports history. He was the face of the Sport for nearly 2 decades, showing class in damn near everything he did. Hell, I think he could have got to 4k hits if he didn't have a devastating injury that shortened his career. Put some respect on his name, is bigger than even some teams in this league.

He should have been unanimous

13 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Derek Jeter is the single greatest SS in Modern Baseball history. He won gold gloves. He won Silver Slugger Awards. He won more WS Titles than the Red Sox Organization has won in the last 100 years. He is one of the greatest playoff athletes in sports history. He was the face of the Sport for nearly 2 decades, showing class in damn near everything he did. Hell, I think he could have got to 4k hits if he didn't have a devastating injury that shortened his career. Put some respect on his name, is bigger than even some teams in this league.

He should have been unanimous

LARRY WALKER

1 MVP

3 Batting Titles

7 Gold Gloves

.313 BA

.400 OBP

.565 SLG 

.965 OPS

DEREK JETER
0 MVP
0 Batting Titles

5 Gold Gloves
.310 BA

.377 OBP

.440 SLG

.817 OPS

If Jeter didn’t play on those powerhouse Yankees teams. I would highly doubt Jeter would be an unanimous HoFer, let alone a first ballot one.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

LARRY WALKER

1 MVP

3 Batting Titles

7 Gold Gloves

.313 BA

.400 OBP

.565 SLG 

.965 OPS

DEREK JETER
0 MVP
0 Batting Titles

5 Gold Gloves
.310 BA

.377 OBP

.440 SLG

.817 OPS

If Jeter didn’t play on those powerhouse Yankees teams. I would highly doubt Jeter would be an unanimous HoFer, let alone a first ballot one.

Jeter also played a ton more games and had a ton more hits. You knew what you were getting out of Jeter each and every year for 20 years. He was by far a better playoff performer. He also played SS not the Corner Outfield, which is by far a more difficult position to play.

He also has those moments that are synonymous when thinking about the game of baseball during his era. The Flip, the Dive, Mr. November. Larry Walker never had those moments

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

Great news!

He pummels Jeter in every stat category yet Jeter is a shoe-in and Walker gets in by the skin of his teeth.

Like it or not, it is the Coors Field bias that all voters have with any major baseball awards. The writers always question how good hitters would be if they didn't play in the thin air of Coors Field for half their games. Most players, including Walker, didn't/don't have nearly as impressive batting statistics when they play on the road or when they are traded away. It may not be fair of writers/voters to have that perspective as every ballpark is unique and may favor hitters or pitchers in a positive or negative manner.

I am ecstatic that Walker has overcome that bias and has entered those hallowed halls in Cooperstown. Congrats Larry on this well deserved honor.

I was really worried that the stigma of playing at Coors field was going to keep Larry out. But enough voters finally got it right. 

He only got in by 6 votes, doesn’t get much closer than that. 

Watched his interview on Tim & Sid just after the news broke, and Larry was warring a Sponge Bob Square pants shirt. I really don’t think that he himself felt like he was getting in. It was pretty funny. 

Just a fantastic day for Larry and Canadian Baseball. 

19 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Watching him on the news right now....never played baseball as a kid.  Said he had to learn on the fly.

His Dad is super emotional about it all.

He was a goalie until he was cut as a teen from the WHL tryout he went to.......

LOL

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Interesting to see that Schilling, Clemens and Bonds all missed the 75% requirement. Two juicers and a POS Trump fan...

...here's hoping for two more years of failure for all three. (That being said, I bet all three get in on their final chance)

Bonds and Clemens definitely.  Schilling I'm not so sure.

3 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Jeter also played a ton more games and had a ton more hits. You knew what you were getting out of Jeter each and every year for 20 years. He was by far a better playoff performer. He also played SS not the Corner Outfield, which is by far a more difficult position to play.

He also has those moments that are synonymous when thinking about the game of baseball during his era. The Flip, the Dive, Mr. November. Larry Walker never had those moments

I never knew having special playoff moments is a requirement of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. If that were the case than Joe Carter should have been one.

Walker played in one of the most difficult outfields in Major League Baseball. The field is the second biggest outfield in the bigs and its ranked first in BABIP (batting average on balls in play) amongst all ballparks. It undaunted for an outfielder to win a gold glove on that field. Walker won 5 of his 7 on Coors. That is an impressive achievement. 

I’m not saying Jeter isn’t a surefire hall of famer, but the fact that it took Walker his last year of eligibility is a farce. When he put up better numbers than most of his peers that got in before him. 

• Cheers 2

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

I never knew having special playoff moments is a requirement of being a first ballot Hall of Famer. If that were the case than Joe Carter should have been one.

Walker played in one of the most difficult outfields in Major League Baseball. The field is the second biggest outfield in the bigs and its ranked first in BABIP (batting average on balls in play) amongst all ballparks. It undaunted for an outfielder to win a gold glove on that field. Walker won 5 of his 7 on Coors. That is an impressive achievement. 

I’m not saying Jeter isn’t a surefire hall of famer, but the fact that it took Walker his last year of eligibility is a farce. When he put up better numbers than most of his peers that got in before him. 

Its not a requirement but it certainly adds to the resume. Jeter has a full season worth of Postseason appearances. He hit .309, has the most hits, doubles, triples, 3rd most HR, 4th most RBI in Postseason history.  

I have an issue with people going after all that he accomplished. Its not easy to play in NY, be the captain of the Yankees, to wear the only single digit jersey number not retired by the club, to play shortstop for 2 decades. Other than wearing the 10 for Real Madrid or Barcelona, I would argue that Jeter had the toughest job in sports (considering the market, pressure, among other factors). And he delivered or exceeded on every single thing that was asked of him. He was consistently great.

Carlo Gonzalez won three during his Rockie tenure.

Larry Walker rightfully got in, but Jeter wrongfully wasn't unanimous.