The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signing Tanev and Markstrom to 1 year contracts (discussion)

This discussion might get shut down quickly, but I am wondering if the Canucks can sign Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom to team friendly 1 year contracts, then during the Seattle Expansion draft, they would be deemed UFA's and technically not eligible for the Expansion draft, while the Canucks and any other team could negotiate with them.

Now, there is risk with this suggestion, and Tanev and Markstrom could sign with anyone, but if both Tanev and Marky want to play here, this protects Demko, and allows us to resign Markstrom later in the summer, as well as protecting 1 more defenseman if needed.

Yes, it is circumvention, but was there any contracts done like this during the Vegas expansion draft?

I think, because the Canucks run the risk of loosing both for nothing, the NHL can not rule against them...……...

Yes, I am always scheming...…..but does this fly?

• Wat 1

You should ask Markstrom and Tanev directly if they are willing to sign only a one year deal in the prime of their careers when they are finally UFA’s and are able to control their own destiny and have a bidding war on their services.  I’m sure you’ll quickly get the answer to that question...

Yeah. Not going to happen. They would be taking a huge risk. Markstrom will be coming off a career year and will look to cash in.  If the Canucks won’t give him term then someone will.  Tanev has such an extensive injury history that he can afford to gamble on a 1 year contract 

24 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This discussion might get shut down quickly, but I am wondering if the Canucks can sign Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom to team friendly 1 year contracts, then during the Seattle Expansion draft, they would be deemed UFA's and technically not eligible for the Expansion draft, while the Canucks and any other team could negotiate with them.

Now, there is risk with this suggestion, and Tanev and Markstrom could sign with anyone, but if both Tanev and Marky want to play here, this protects Demko, and allows us to resign Markstrom later in the summer, as well as protecting 1 more defenseman if needed.

Yes, it is circumvention, but was there any contracts done like this during the Vegas expansion draft?

I think, because the Canucks run the risk of loosing both for nothing, the NHL can not rule against them...……...

Yes, I am always scheming...…..but does this fly?

UFA's are eligible. Their contracts don't end until June 30th. Vegas was allowed to select them. Vegas also got an exclusive negotiating window.

Doubtful it could happen without massive overpayments, but in Tanev's case it's not without precedence. In both 2013-14 and 2014-15 Tanev signed cheap, one year deals. If anything that probably means there's even less chance he'd do the same now, but it's worth noting nonetheless. 

12 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

UFA's are eligible. Their contracts don't end until June 30th. Vegas was allowed to select them. Vegas also got an exclusive negotiating window.

Yes, but they don't have to sign and can re-sign with their original club at no penalty...…..

Edited by janisahockeynut

36 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why do the players agree to this when they could get far better term on the open market?  Markstrom's value is at an all-time high and Tanev's style of play makes him an injury risk.

I totally understand about their open market value, and I agree with you...…..if that is what they want

But, I am going on the premise that they want to re-sign with Vancouver, and that Vancouver wants to re-sign them.....

If they are going to give home town discounts, then what is the difference?

They are all aware of the up coming Cap crunch, and the 1 year contract could be used as a bridge

If they don't want to sign now, and want to go UFA and sign with the highest bidder for the most money, they are not going to sign now anyways.

But yes, there is risk for both....I understand that.....good point

I will remind you of what McKinnon said about his next contract, in that he would sign for less to keep everyone together.....

He signed a discount deal already, and will be a UFA when his contract is up.

And he is probably the best player in the NHL (One of them at least)

Players are super concerned about career ending injuries....

At this point both players are going to want to home runs with long term rich contracts....

To be honest both deserve it.

Deal Tanev and sign Marky Marky is how i would proceed. 

Their agents would lose their minds.

What if Tanev gets seriously hurt next season (Certainly not an unlikely scenario).  He only gets paid until the end of his contract, and good luck getting a good offer coming off a season where he maybe played 30-40 games.

They both want to sign here,  but crazy hometown discounts rarely happen.  We might get to pay a millions less per year or a year shorter term,  it expecting more is setting up for disappointment.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Provost said:

Their agents would lose their minds.

What if Tanev gets seriously hurt next season (Certainly not an unlikely scenario).  He only gets paid until the end of his contract, and good luck getting a good offer coming off a season where he maybe played 30-40 games.

They both want to sign here,  but crazy hometown discounts rarely happen.  We might get to pay a millions less per year or a year shorter term,  it expecting more is setting up for disappointment.

Injury insurance