The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Nils Lundkvist

Just saw a proposal by a Rangers fan on HFboards (the general section, not the cancerous Canucks section) involving right handed defensive prospect Nils Lundkvist. While I do think his proposal was tilted in the Rangers favor, there's no denying that this prospect is putting up spectacular numbers in the SHL as a 19 year old. 

5 goals and 16 assists for 21 points in 28 games and a +16. 

Considering how desperate we are for a right handed D player/prospect with top pairing potential, I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210202

What would you be willing to give up for a prospect of this caliber?

This is the kind of player we could have landed with an extra 1st rounder in 2018. The Rangers had 3 that year and landed two promising defensemen past 20th overall in that draft (Miller and Lundkvist).

Lundkvist's value is at an all time high right now. He's having the 2nd best season for a U20 defenseman in the SHL since 2000 I believe (behind Hedman). Now is not the time to look into acquiring him. They'd want something like Boeser. They have absolutely no reason to move him. 

Besides, I think we should be looking for a right handed defenseman with a different skillset. We already have Hughes and potentially Juolevi as skilled puck movers, but we don't have a young, shut down player. Someone in the mold of Dobson is who I'd be going after. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

This is the kind of player we could have landed with an extra 1st rounder in 2018. The Rangers had 3 that year and landed two promising defensemen past 20th overall in that draft (Miller and Lundkvist).

Lundkvist's value is at an all time high right now. He's having the 2nd best season for a U20 defenseman in the SHL since 2000 I believe (behind Hedman). Now is not the time to look into acquiring him. They'd want something like Boeser. They have absolutely no reason to move him. 

Besides, I think we should be looking for a right handed defenseman with a different skillset. We already have Hughes and potentially Juolevi as skilled puck movers, but we don't have a young, shut down player. Someone in the mold of Dobson is who I'd be going after. 

I agree with you Totally

But what about a Madden - Lundkvist trade just for $&!#s and giggles

8 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

While I do agree that another Dman in a similar mold to Hughes and Juolevi may make us a tad one dimensional, beggars can't be choosers. With Trouba and Adam Fox as young, right handed Dmen that are likely going to be with the Rags for a long time, Lundkvist could be seen as a somewhat expendable (I use that term very loosely in this case) piece that could be moved in order to bolster their forward depth. 

NYR would ask for Podkolzin or Hoglander and OJ(do they need a lhd prospect?)

Rangers are quite set at the NHL level at RHD with Trouba, DeAngelo and Fox. If they are sure the latter 2 are going to be able to hack it long term and be affordable and fit their plans?

Nice player to target, but will cost a pretty penny to acquire.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

While I do agree that another Dman in a similar mold to Hughes and Juolevi may make us a tad one dimensional, beggars can't be choosers. With Trouba and Adam Fox as young, right handed Dmen that are likely going to be with the Rags for a long time, Lundkvist could be seen as a somewhat expendable (I use that term very loosely in this case) piece that could be moved in order to bolster their forward depth. 

I don't think they're going to jump the gun on solidifying their RD position (arguably the toughest for a GM to lock down) long term by moving one of the better defense prospects in the league before giving him a chance to show what he can do. That's the complete opposite of what they did with their goalies; they now have 3 and can trade one for a good return. 

Besides, why not sell high on DeAngelo? He's having a breakout year and they could have a younger, cheaper replacement right away with Lundkvist.

Edited by Horvat is a Boss

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

Rangers are quite set at the NHL level at RHD with Trouba, DeAngelo and Fox. If they are sure the latter 2 are going to be able to hack it long term and be affordable and fit their plans?

With our forward depth the way it is, I'd go for it. 

In the end...……..yes it would be nice to have a high end RHD, but with Tryamkin, Rafferty and Woo in the system, I am more inclined to work of those 3 and maybe pick a Offensive RHD with our first pick, if he is in the general area of our pick.

But to 48MPHslapshots point, yes we may have to at some point...………...this next year is the tell tail

7 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Anyone who seriously thinks the rags would ask/expect boeser for lundqvist needs to re evaluate everything.

A 28th overall smaller d man playing in the 3rd or 4th level of professional hockey does not return a young nhl 30g scorer.

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Anyone who seriously thinks the rags would ask/expect boeser for lundqvist needs to re evaluate everything.

A 28th overall smaller d man playing in the 3rd or 4th level of professional hockey does not return a young nhl 30g scorer.

Being a 19 year old Dman performing at a clip close to a PPG in the SHL is nothing to scoff at. I don’t necessarily think Boeser ir realistic, but certainly Podkolzin +. It’s the type of move we have to make imho. We’re going to be short a first rd pick either this year or next year, and that pick will likely take a few years to develop. We need a young Dman that’s ready now, and we have the forward depth to make it or something similar happen. I really think Benning needs to be proactive in trying to find a top pairing Dman to play opposite Hughes.

4 hours ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

They would definitely ask for Boeser, and we would hang up. That's why Lundkvist won't be moved.

29 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

They would definitely ask for Boeser, and we would hang up. That's why Lundkvist won't be moved.

So, the Canucks can use Jett Woo and only jett woo to acquire Ryan O"Rielly ?

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

With our forward depth the way it is, I'd go for it. 

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Podkolzin or Hoglander and OJ.

For a smaller rhd late 1st rounder.

The only way the Canucks trade podkolzin is if the return is a top RHD.

Moritz Seider or bust.

D as is for Vancouver is not the deepest, trading Juolevi before he plays a game for the Canucks is unlikely. 

Hoglander looks to be the most skilled forward the canucks have drafted since?

And everyone wants to trade him because??

His skillset may be better than Petey's or Hughes!

Podkolzin

Goldobin

Tryamkin

3rd

For

Moritz Seider 

Michael Rasmussen 

The future d core :shock:

Hughes Seider

Juolevi Myers 

Rafferty Woo

1 hour ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

So, the Canucks can use Jett Woo and only jett woo to acquire Ryan O"Rielly ?

I'm saying that the ask for the asset would be greater than the actual value of the asset.

If the Canucks were trading Woo, they could ask for O'Reilly. That doesn't mean the trade would actually happen.

Minnesota reportedly asked for Boeser in return for Zucker. Obviously the ask was greater than the value so the Canucks declined. 

• Thanks 1

I get he is having a good year, but to throw our top prospect to them? I dunno man. I need to know more than just his SHL numbers. Dobber Prospects had some good things to say about him though. I'd consider Hoglander for him. But I like Pod too much to risk it. Maybe even dangle Demko. They have that Russian kid, Shestyorkin (spelling may be way off) but I dunno how much upside he really has. It's true though. We really do need a right hand D-man with top 4 upside (love Woo but right now all our eggs are in that basket), which was why I was so high on Soderstrom last year.

22 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just saw a proposal by a Rangers fan on HFboards (the general section, not the cancerous Canucks section) involving right handed defensive prospect Nils Lundkvist. While I do think his proposal was tilted in the Rangers favor, there's no denying that this prospect is putting up spectacular numbers in the SHL as a 19 year old. 

5 goals and 16 assists for 21 points in 28 games and a +16. 

Considering how desperate we are for a right handed D player/prospect with top pairing potential, I thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going. 

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=210202

What would you be willing to give up for a prospect of this caliber?

I just read that hf thread before I popped in here. It was (for those not wanting to soil themselves by going to hf):

Canucks get:

Nils Lundkvist

Lias Andersson

NYR gets:

Jake Virtanen

Olli Juolevi

1st round pick

God awful trade for the Canucks imo. Virtanen is turning into the guy we want. Olli still needs more games in so we see what he will be.  And a 1st....jeezus...guy is on crack.

Lundkvist has not proven he can even play in the NHL yet...but that poster basically wants 3 1st round picks?  What an idiot...

:picard:

Edit: when is the last time a team traded their late first round pick (lundkvist 28th overall) before they even played in the NHL and got a return of 3 1st round picks......

Edited by Kanukfanatic

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

I just read that hf thread before I popped in here. It was (for those not wanting to soil themselves by going to hf):

Canucks get:

Nils Lundkvist

Lias Andersson

NYR gets:

Jake Virtanen

Olli Juolevi

1st round pick

God awful trade for the Canucks imo. Virtanen is turning into the guy we want. Olli still needs more games in so we see what he will be.  And a 1st....jeezus...guy is on crack.

Lundkvist has not proven he can even play in the NHL yet...but that poster basically wants 3 1st round picks?  What an idiot...

:picard:

Edit: when is the last time a team traded their late first round pick (lundkvist 28th overall) before they even played in the NHL and got a return of 3 1st round picks......

While I do agree that the trade is skewed in the Rangers favor here, you have to look at the value of the pieces involved as they sit right now, not when they were drafted. Lundkvist's value has skyrocketed since being drafted. The guy is having a Pettersson-esque breakout season and would obviously demand a hell of a lot more than a late 1st, which is where he was drafted. 

Juolevi still has potential, but his stock has certainly taken a massive hit since his draft year, with some people going to far as to proclaim him a full on bust. While this is obviously way premature, he most certainly isn't worth the 5th overall that we used to draft him. I doubt he's even worth a 1st rd pick at this point. 

You also didn't bring up Andersson in your analysis, who probably has comparable value to Juolevi right now. So let's consider Andersson/Juolevi a wash and remove that part of the deal. It essentially becomes 1st/Virtanen for Lundkvist. I said in the thread on HF that I thought it would be foolish to sell on Virtanen right now, just as he's breaking out, but considering our forward depth going forward, the lack of a gamebreaking RD in the system, and just how high end the prospect we'd be landing is, I don't think the price is all that unreasonable. 

edit: Pettersson-esque is an exaggeration. Realized that as soon as I hit reply, but still, the numbers are super impressive for a 19 year old in the SHL, and considering RD is one of the most difficult positions in hockey to fill, the kid has a ton of value. 

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot