The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Sending Boeser Home

The only Boeser-to-Minny trade that makes even remote sense is for Dumba. And that would be based on some fantastic progression from many wingers in the organization (Hoglander, Podkolzin, Lind, McDonough, potentially Madden to wing, etc.). Easier to fill a hole on the wings than at RD.

But even then, we'd risk disrupting team chemistry.

57 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Boeser's fathers issues are well documented. you can also tell that he wanted to be as close to his father as possible. Boeser use to be the canucks guy but now that has moved to Hughes and Petterson. I think it would be very classy for the Canucks to find a way to get him home close to his father. The canucks would likely need a top 6 guy back. they were linked to Zuker a while back. Min is said to be on a rebuild/ re tool. getting a home town boy Boeser would be a great first step. Min has a great prospect Kirill Kaprizov who is currently in the KHL. They have had trouble signing him to a contract. He does not seemed thrilled being a Min prospect. He has however stated that he wants to play in the NHL next year. My offer would be this:

To MIN:

Brock Boeser

Jet Woo (has Minnesota written all over him)

To Van:

Jason Zuker

Kirill Kaprizov

Future top 9 in 1-2 years

Pearson Horvat Miller

Kaprizov Petterson Podkolzin (Dear lord)

Zuker Gaudette Virtanen

This was quite similar to a proposal I made last fall before Boeser was signed and it was getting close to the start of the season.  It was in the context of "If he doesn't want to sign here for family reasons" or "If the reports of his contract demands being in the insane $8 million plus range are true".  Those conditions would have dramatically reduced Boeser's value for us.  Those things didn't turn out to be true though and we got him on a fairly decent short term deal, which increases his value a lot.

Now you have to include Dumba in that trade to make it worth our while while we would have to add a little more and throw in a cap dump to make money work.  It is still an overpayment on Minnesota's part, but they would be the one driving the trade and not us and risking our chemistry.

Kaprisov should be a better player than Boeser if all projections are true, but he hasn't played in the NHL so is still a big risk to trade him for a proven NHL scorer who may not be elite, but is still a legit top line player.  The bonus to Kaprisov is the difference in cap hit in the short term where it would alleviate some of our crunch next year, as well as a little more Russian flavour to help for Podkolzin and/or Tryamkin so they aren't the only Russian on the team

2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I wouldn't scoff at the thought of trading Boeser but as pointed out the return is weak sauce.  And no offence you jumped the gun naming yourself after Niklas Jensen and Hunter Shinkaruk.  

Was about to reply with just those two names  lol

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Nope.  Kaprizov is a fancy Russian.  He’s not going to be a successful NHL player.  He’s a KHL guy.  

Only player Minny has of interest is Dumbo.  And he’s not worth Bess.  

I might go Boeser for Dumba straight up. Dumba is a really hard player to find, you have to give to get. 

• Wat 1

I think at one point Minnesota was trying to ask for Boeser for Zucker straight up totally not worth the value for a straight trade between Zucker and Boeser let alone adding in Kaprizov. Boeser to me is one of our Franchise players.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't be surprised if he someday wishes to play back closer to home.  I mean lots of players do the same for the Canucks (Willie Mitchell, Dan Hamhuis, etc).

That being said, he's under contract for the Canucks and they will still hold his rights until he is an UFA.  Until then, he stays put unless it is a pure hockey trade (quality for quality trade).  

Dumba is just coming off a injury last year, where I believe he torn his peck...….he is still recovering and has not played up to his original level

But in saying that, "IF" he was to fully recover, I think he could be an interesting target, because of his talent and demeanor. 

I totally agree with those that defend Brock as a young, top end, RW, that would be hard to replace...….."IF: we are just talking about offense

Not that I agree with this trade proposal, but "IF" JB thought that the juggling of assets were a benefit to the Canucks, I would support something

But only, if it actually did improve us long term, and I think replacing Brock is not a slam dunk.

I do wonder why Brock was used on the 3rd line, a game or 2 ago. Was it for balance? I am not sure?

Maybe 

Dumba + Kunin          for         Boeser 

or

Dumba + Kaprizov     for         Boeser  

But honestly, it would be a year too early and I am not sure, we could replace Brocks goals. Kaprizov is small and unproven , and Kunin is still unproven, so I think there is just so much risk in moving Brock for anyone on Minnesota. 

I like our direction, and really just want to see it play out. We have to watch our cap, and replacing players from within, which are on ELC's is the best way to do that.

Like everyone says...Boeser is 22 year old star...…….what more could you ask for?

Can't imagine the Canucks parting with Boeser, which is probably a good thing because Wild fans are obsessed with Kaprisov and would be so conflicted.  They've waited so long for him.   ESPN recently polled a few KHL players at their All-Star game and they all answered Kaprisov to the question on who will be the next NHL superstar from the KHL.

Owner Leipold in his message to season ticket holders already talks of him as a core player.  He even wrote to him a letter in Russian to let him know how important he is to the franchise.  Guerin already went to visit him - setting that meeting was one of the first things he did after being named GM.  After his trip in early December he told Minnesota media that he will trade a winger out to make room for him next season.

Guerin sounds confident enough that he deserves a top-6 spot.  Does he think he'll be as good as Boeser - that I don't know.

The Penguins are apparently pursuing Zucker aggressively per Friedman and Russo.  Guerin would know their prospects/players.  

Zucker probably has Vancouver on his no trade list per Russo. It does make sense.  His wife and kids are going to stay back so he probably doesn't want to be too far away. There are apparently no direct flights.  

Some pretty impressive stats:

i'm shocked how much people underrate other teams prospects.

Facts about Kaprizov:

-He was the youngest player in the Russian team at the 2018 Olympic Games

- He was the youngest player in KHL history to get 100 goals.

- He has the fastest Hatrick in SKA history at around 8 minutes

- He was a captain at the KHL all star game at 22 years old... it was over Vadim Shipachyov who has been one of the best KHL players of the decade.

If he was a Cancuks prospect people would be calling him the next Pavel Bure on here.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't mind seeing some of them, its often a good exercise in learning how to value players. 

Boeser has the 2nd highest goals per game average out of the 2015 draft. He's a high character person. Team guy. No drama at all. Doesn't turn 23 until Feb. 

If there's ever been a higher value F for the Canucks to trade his name was Pavel. Lets at least aim higher than Zucker and a KHL prospect :picard:

edit: I'm assuming no one would attempt a Pettersson trade idea. 

Or hughes. Or Horvat

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Kaprizov is always at the top of the list of young players not in the NHL right now. He has the potential to be the next panarin...

Panarin KHL numbers 2013-14 (22 years old):

Gp 51, G: 20, A: 20, Pts: 40

2014-2015(23 years old) :

Gp 54, G: 26, A: 36, PTS: 62

Kaprizov:

2018-19 (21 years old):

Gp 57, G: 30, A: 21, Pts: 51
2019-2020 (22 years old):

Gp 45, G: 23, A: 23, Pts: 46

The potential you say?

My response

Anton Rodin.

As well.  Check where boeser sits in scoring vs panarin.  It's not far off.

No deal

Edited by Warhippy