The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Cap Hell for Canucks!!! (GREAT NEWS from Daly re: CAP for next year!!)

Rate this topic

HKSR

52 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I'd rather keep Leivo and let go of Motte.

Any chance Baer and the Canucks agree to mutually terminate the contract so Baer can sign elsewhere?

Nyet. Do not like that call at all. We already have zero room for him to come back after injury.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I could see Tanev walking in FA he likely gets 5.5 on a 3 or 4 year deal on the open market. His brother got 3.5 x 6 years and is much $&!#tier.  

He's also younger and has far less worrying injury history. I doubt any team is going to go full out on what normally would be considered his 'real value' given those realities, regardless of how good he is.

He'll be offered contracts based on an expected 60'ish games and impending, age and injury related decline.

Edited by aGENT

46 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I sure hope not, he brings so much for a 5th or 6th defenceman.  RHD, good puck mover, plays at 110% every shift, can move into the Top 4 for periods of time if need be.  He's perfect for the role.

Only problem is Stetcher is RFA and likely looking at $3.5+.

where we have a "problem" is we can't really add a big name free agent next offseason and we have to pretty much run with the group we see today +/- some bottom 6 F or bottom paring d moves. 

Is that really a problem? I guess if we don't want to add Tyson Barrie  or Taylor Hall it is. There are a few other guys like Kreider and Vatannen maybe but they are set to get big overpayments and thats not what this team needs. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

where we have a "problem" is we can't really add a big name free agent next offseason and we have to pretty much run with the group we see today +/- some bottom 6 F or bottom paring d moves. 

Is that really a problem? I guess if we don't want to add Tyson Barrie  or Taylor Hall it is. There are a few other guys like Kreider and Vatannen maybe but they are set to get big overpayments and thats not what this team needs. 

We aren't likely adding any big UFA's but we are likely to see an influx of youth from some mix of Tryamkin, Rafferty, Juolevi, Brisebois, Lind, Bailey, MacEwan, Hoglander etc pushing for spots next camp.

I'd trade Baertschi + a 3rd to get him gone. With one season left after this surely a team will take a flyer on him

Sutter for whatever you can get without retaining any salary. There will be a team that will take on all the money might not get a great return.

Benn + Stecher + Tanev = I wouldn't resign or keep any. Especially since Tanev would want 5 million and can't move they puck past centre to safe his life. First season he has managed to stay healthy but I'm not paying 5 million. That's a lot for a guy who normally averages 50 games a season. 

At the end of this season Loui has 2 years left at 6 million I believe a team will take him if we add like a 2nd rounder. Pay the price and move on.

Insert Juolevi, Rafferty and Tryamkin - Yes inexperienced but IMO Tryamkin can play the shutdown role of Tanev and at 2.5-3 million cheaper. Rafferty can replace Stecher the drop off aint that big and Benn is a healthy scratch so I'm sure Juolevi is no worse. Resign Fanta to keep depth incase injuries. Remember Tryamkin and Rafferty are 25 not 21 year old rookies.

I'd rock with a future lineup in 2021-2022 (Obviously trades and tweaks will happen)

Miller-Petey-Virtanen

Hogs-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Podz

Roussel-Madden-Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Rafferty/UFA D? Barrie?

Rathbone-Tryamkin

Marky 

Demko

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I'd trade Baertschi + a 3rd to get him gone. With one season left after this surely a team will take a flyer on him

Sutter for whatever you can get without retaining any salary. There will be a team that will take on all the money might not get a great return.

Benn + Stecher + Tanev = I wouldn't resign or keep any. Especially since Tanev would want 5 million and can't move they puck past centre to safe his life. First season he has managed to stay healthy but I'm not paying 5 million. That's a lot for a guy who normally averages 50 games a season. 

At the end of this season Loui has 2 years left at 6 million I believe a team will take him if we add like a 2nd rounder. Pay the price and move on.

Insert Juolevi, Rafferty and Tryamkin - Yes inexperienced but IMO Tryamkin can play the shutdown role of Tanev and at 2.5-3 million cheaper. Rafferty can replace Stecher the drop off aint that big and Benn is a healthy scratch so I'm sure Juolevi is no worse. Resign Fanta to keep depth incase injuries. Remember Tryamkin and Rafferty are 25 not 21 year old rookies.

I'd rock with a future lineup in 2021-2022 (Obviously trades and tweaks will happen)

Miller-Petey-Virtanen

Hogs-Horvat-Boeser

Ferland-Gaudette-Podz

Roussel-Madden-Lind

Hughes-Myers

Juolevi-Rafferty/UFA D? Barrie?

Rathbone-Tryamkin

Marky 

Demko

Don’t mind your ideas but Hogs is not ready (or will be next season) for a top six role? He starts in the bottom six.  

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

How does he or an arbitrator justify $3.5M+ compared to these comparables??  Stecher is at 9pts in 49gms @ 14:44 TOI.

Sorted for RHD as they generally hold a premium.

Buffalo SabresBUF 26 D Right 33 1 6 7 0.21 -4 49 0.02 17:02 - - - - -   UFA $3,875,000 $3,875,000
Calgary FlamesCGY 28 D Right 44 3 7 10 0.23 2 75 0.04 21:18 - - - - -   UFA $3,857,143 $4,875,000
Chicago BlackhawksCHI 26 D Right 39 4 11 15 0.38 4 74 0.05 21:13 - - - - -   UFA $3,850,000 $4,400,000
Philadelphia FlyersPHI 32 D Right 44 3 8 11 0.25 -9 54 0.06 17:31 - - - - -   UFA $3,800,000 $3,800,000
Buffalo SabresBUF 25 D Right 35 3 9 12 0.34 5 62 0.05 18:19 - - - - -   RFA $3,387,500 $3,525,000
Washington CapitalsWSH 29 D Right 49 2 12 14 0.29 22 74 0.03 17:07 - - - - -   UFA $3,350,000 $2,500,000
Winnipeg JetsWPG 23 D Right 51 5 27 32 0.63 2 107 0.05 23:18 - - - - -   RFA $3,000,000 $2,850,000
Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 1

There will be no cap issues. Benning's plan all along has been to draft and develop, and he just recently said how he expects to have one or two rookies make the team almost each year to help replace aging veterans and help with the cap. 

The reality of running a team is that each year you gain and lose players, but we are in no way screwed with anchor contracts like Loui's that simply cannot be moved. Were we a team like the Wild with three humongous anchor contracts, then I would definitely beg to differ. 

In Benning everyone should trust by now. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is the whole Hutton issue all over again. If that's his expectations, then good luck to him getting that. What he is getting paid currently is likely his value for his next contract. If he wants to wait on a deal that pays more, he can wait and be forced to take a one year cheap deal to prove his worth on another team. RFAs can come to terms before exercising their RFA rights. We could simply not qualify him and either he takes our best offer or he can try UFA (and this applies to any team that possibly trades for him).

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's also younger and has far less worrying injury history. I doubt any team is going to go full out on what normally would be considered his 'real value' given those realities, regardless of how good he is.

He'll be offered contracts based on an expected 60'ish games and impending, age and injury related decline.

Myers has been pretty injury prone in his career and we gave him 6 x 5

Just now, HKSR said:

How does he or an arbitrator justify $3.5M+ compared to these comparables??  Stecher is at 9pts in 49gms @ 14:44 TOI.

Buffalo SabresBUF 26 D Right 33 1 6 7 0.21 -4 49 0.02 17:02 - - - - -   UFA $3,875,000 $3,875,000
Calgary FlamesCGY 28 D Right 44 3 7 10 0.23 2 75 0.04 21:18 - - - - -   UFA $3,857,143 $4,875,000
Chicago BlackhawksCHI 26 D Right 39 4 11 15 0.38 4 74 0.05 21:13 - - - - -   UFA $3,850,000 $4,400,000
Philadelphia FlyersPHI 32 D Right 44 3 8 11 0.25 -9 54 0.06 17:31 - - - - -   UFA $3,800,000 $3,800,000
Buffalo SabresBUF 25 D Right 35 3 9 12 0.34 5 62 0.05 18:19 - - - - -   RFA $3,387,500 $3,525,000
Washington CapitalsWSH 29 D Right 49 2 12 14 0.29 22 74 0.03 17:07 - - - - -   UFA $3,350,000 $2,500,000
Winnipeg JetsWPG 23 D Right 51 5 27 32 0.63 2 107 0.05 23:18 - - - - -   RFA $3,000,000 $2,850,000

I think Stecher’s raise is a qualifying offer, which is pretty much set in stone.  He’s where Hutton was last year.  We will just let him walk on July 1 and save 2.5 million by having Rafferty take his spot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

31 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Nyet. Do not like that call at all. We already have zero room for him to come back after injury.

Thus why we let the Motte's and Schallers go. Leivo is better at playing up and down the line up. 

Motte and Schaller show no upside above the 4th line and are replaceable there. Leivo can keep up on the 2nd line

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I think Stecher’s raise is a qualifying offer, which is pretty much set in stone.  He’s where Hutton was last year.  We will just let him walk on July 1 and save 2.5 million by having Rafferty take his spot. 

Yeah, I know that's what he meant, but we just walk away if he's not willing to sign for less.

I think your numbers are a little off. I think Tanev is probably closer to 6 million as is Markstrom as they have UFA status as leverage.

I think Virtanen is around 2.75, Gaudette I think is around 1.75 - 2. Other than that, I think your numbers are fairly close.

Other changes, I think Benn will likely be moved, and I won't be surprised if Stecher is as well as he deserves to be playing bigger overall minutes. I think they will make room for Tryamkin to step in.

I think they will try and bring Fantenberg back at about 975k for insurance. He's been pretty good this year.

I think we'll see Juolevi and Rafferty given an opportunity to prove that they should be in the lineup next season.

If fans thing the level of competition for jobs was crazy this year, wait till next. Going to be a whole new level. So awesome to finally have this team back where it should be

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, I know that's what he meant, but we just walk away if he's not willing to sign for less.

I think we have to walk away before we can sign him to less.  He has to become a UFA on July 1, and then we can offer him the same deal as this season.  

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Myers has been pretty injury prone in his career and we gave him 6 x 5

Younger, bigger, (historically) brings more offense and FAR less injury prone than Tanev.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1