The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) realistic trade!

JB has made it clear that he doesn't want to trade away futures for a TDL deal that helps the Canucks for 2 months. So if you read between the lines he's looking to add a signed top six forward that fits with the team moving forward. Enter Kyle Palmieri from New Jersey. At 4.65 mil per year, and he's signed for another year. Has decent size, plays a 200' game, and will get 25 goals, 50 points. He's a perfect fit for Horvat and Pearson, and in essence completes the second line. The Devils do this because we have a player that they covet- T.Madden, add Stecher and a 2nd rounder in this years draft and we got ourselves a deal. This move will put pressure on other teams in the Pacific to react, which often causes teams to over spend to stay competitive, which often only hurts them moving forward. We would be making an astute move based on our need to complete our top six. Dealing from a position of strength, as we have a number of good right side defenders, and an amazing cupboard of young prospects up and coming. Great job JB and company for putting us in this position.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Interesting proposal. Good point with NJ possibly wanting Madden (his old man being a former Devil), and the Canucks can afford to lose Stecher. Sorry Troy. Would that be enough for Palmieri though? He's their leading point-getter. He would be a huge boost to our Top 6 I think.

interesting idea.... if we could do it without the 2nd I'd be happier, I think Stech still being an RFA and getting a good prospect in Madden should be enough.

We'd still have to find a way to clear the ~2 mil difference between Stech and KP's contracts tho. 

But if Sutter and Ferland are both healthy is does present some interesting line depth:

Miller-Petey-Jake

Pearson-Bo-Palmieri

Rous-Sutter/AG-Boeser

Gaudette/Sutter-Beagle-Ferland

Motte Loui Schaller - one of which must go to Utica. Or send both Schaller and Loui to Utica and you have the cap space to make it all fit. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

NJ will not be making the playoffs this year, so Leivo would help them next season and relieve a little cap space for the Canucks.

to NJ - Stecher, Leivo and Madden

to VAN - Palmieri and a 3rd

NJ would be solid down the middle, for years:

Hughes

Hischier

Madden

Palmieri would help the Canucks now and for the next few years. He's only 28, perfect age.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Palmieri

Virtanen - Gaudette - Sutter

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

If they take Baertschi to make our cap situation fit, I would be totally fine with that trade.

thats actually a good idea. Baer is probably useful on that team as well, he's not just a cap dump. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats actually a good idea. Baer is probably useful on that team as well, he's not just a cap dump. 

... he would probably play at least, and it kind of makes up the difference for giving up that 2nd (which really needs to be a 2021 2nd so we aren’t waiting until the 3rd round to pick this year).

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

At the deadline with Prorated contract returns, LTIR and such, this could work. Might need someone to take Baer for a bag of pucks, but it is possible

Cap space is also pro-rated.  If a team hasn't banked cap space they'll only have prospective cap available and that's pro-rated to what's left in the season.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Former writer/stat guy Tyler Dellows is their head of analytics.  He's not a Baertschi fan and thought Benning did a poor job in trading for him.  Now that he's in the AHL probably even less impressed.  

Friedman says that ownership did not like that Shero worked with such a small circle.  They want more people involved including Dellows who apparently reports directly to ownership.  Don't think that's a trade he would validate given his earlier takes.  

Ownership in their presser after firing Shero complained that they had made the playoffs only once in 5 years.  Palmieri is their leading producer.  If their intention is to compete next season they might prefer to retain him.  

They are in GM search so there's not much indication on what direction they intend to go next season.  

If Palmieri is indeed available he might also be a target for Nashville given his familiarity with Hynes.  They have a spot open with Granlund being UFA and wouldn't be sending them a contract to make cap work.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Cap space is also pro-rated.  If a team hasn't banked cap space they'll only have prospective cap available and that's pro-rated to what's left in the season.

Yes, as of right now Canucks are looking like the will have anywhere between 800K and 2.8M prorated space available. Moving out Stecher and bringing in Palmieri with those numbers could work. Also if the deal is available for that price I'd jump all over it and worry about cap after, seems to be the new way to deal with cap issues

7 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

Yes, as of right now Canucks are looking like the will have anywhere between 800K and 2.8M prorated space available. Moving out Stecher and bringing in Palmieri with those numbers could work. Also if the deal is available for that price I'd jump all over it and worry about cap after, seems to be the new way to deal with cap issues

Where do you find that?  I see 30k projected on Capfriendly.  You can’t bank cap space when you are on LTIR which we have been all year.

The $2.8 million number on Capfriendly is the remaining LTIR left... not actual cap space (if you click on the question mark it explains that little anomaly).  We can’t spend it unless we know players aren’t coming back for the rest of the regular season.

Edited by Provost

10 minutes ago, Sedinery33 said:

CapFriendly already does the pro-rate calculation and show full salaries that can be added.  The 2.8M is LTIR cap space - they will need it to activate Ferland.  There's no cap available for now.  

Once he is activated they will have enough room to add a player at a full salary of 1M as they will have to demote someone to the AHL to respect the roster limit.  They don't have more unless they move out a contract.  

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1

I like the mechanics of this trade, as others have stated, you might be paying a bit too much.  My concern is his age, he turns 29 on Feb 1st. He has bee consistent the last few years offensively, but how long can he sustain that?  Stetch is just starting to come into his own, and Madden has shown he will be a very decent player when he arrives and this team can afford to wait for him to get here.

If GMJB were to make a splash, I'd expect to see a player around Bo's age or younger, someone similar to KP, but someone who will be serviceable to this team for more than 5 years.

Interesting idea, but it leans too close to the idea that we're ready to push for the finals this year (we actually might be, really depends on how other team injuries go).

I would say that if we were going to try something like this, and I'm really not completely sold on the idea, something that "might" interest the Devils would be;

To NJ:

Madden

Stecher

Baerstchi

2020 3rd round pick

To Vancouver:

Palmieri

B level prospect

2020 5th round pick

Sending Madden out, I really hate that idea, but we would need to include something to make this attractive. We would need them to take back Baerstchi, who I think would work pretty well in NJ, as a way to balance out our cap numbers.

Moving out Stecher makes room for testing Rafferty in Vancouver as well as for us to sign Tryamkin in a few months, This would also free up one other contract spot for us against our 50 contract cap (we're currently at 47) and give us more room to dip into the College free agent market as well.

Again, not really endorsing this move, but I think this is closer in line to what it would take.