The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Tweak the playoffs and the Draft

It seems like most years there are two discussions as the last few weeks of the season roll around:  Who's in and who's drafting where.  I'd like to see the last few weeks a little more contested and I'd also like to see the draft lottery tweaked a little bit so lower seeded teams have better opportunity to draft high.  With that in mind, here's my proposal....

At the end of the season the 7,8,9 and 10 seeds in each conference play one game to punch their ticket into the larger playoff tournament.  The 7 seed would play the 10 seed and the 8 seed would play the 9 seed.  The winner of each game is then seeded into the larger traditional playoff bracket.

I think there are a few benefits to making the change

• 4 more teams get a playoff game.
  • More teams are competing down the stretch/less throw away games.
  • Teams that lock up higher spots get an extra few days rest before the larger tournament begins
  • 4 less teams are involved in the draft lottery (assuming all teams that get a playoff game are seeded in the draft the way playoff teams are currently) therefor teams that need the help the most get a slightly higher percentage at top picks.

I'm aware this probably won't happen but I thought it could be an interesting and positive change.  Of course my idea is flawless so there can't possibly be any drawbacks right??? :rolleyes:

21 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

The league specifically changed the draft lottery to the current odds to discourage intentional tanking.  I seriously doubt they have any interest in going back to something like the old odds. 

I agree...you could however disperse the extra opportunity among the teams however you want; it wouldn’t have to be given to the bottom teams.  

A play-in sort of thing might be okay, but I am a staunch opponent to expanding the regular playoffs beyond 16 teams. I personally feel the playoffs should have an air of exclusivity to them so that making the playoffs means you're actually a good team, in stark contrast to the 80s when even our beloved Canucks made the playoffs six seasons in a row despite being pretty bad most of the time, because 16 of 21 teams made the playoffs.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

In the East rigth now Toronto is 4 points out of a playoff spot but 6 points up on the 11 seed.

If they had 3 games left in the season they have no reason to fight for a play off spot and could coast . 

you have not solved anything.

The NHL is already the most gimmicky league not called the WWE so why creat more gimmicks.

Just as OT, Shoot Out and loser point did not solve the boring last 10 minutes it was meant to solve, your system does not solve anything youmight be trying to solve.

I hate the draft lottery gimmick as well.

The NHL would have been far better off not allowing teams to draft in the same spot more than once in 5 years.

Come in last for 5 years , draft 1-2-3-4-5.. More deserving teams will get good picks without the stupid lottery

also ditch the stupid loser point!

Edited by lmm

9 hours ago, lmm said:

In the East rigth now Toronto is 4 points out of a playoff spot but 6 points up on the 11 seed.

If they had 3 games left in the season they have no reason to fight for a play off spot and could coast . 

you have not solved anything.

The NHL is already the most gimmicky league not called the WWE so why creat more gimmicks.

Just as OT, Shoot Out and loser point did not solve the boring last 10 minutes it was meant to solve, your system does not solve anything youmight be trying to solve.

I hate the draft lottery gimmick as well.

The NHL would have been far better off not allowing teams to draft in the same spot more than once in 5 years.

Come in last for 5 years , draft 1-2-3-4-5.. More deserving teams will get good picks without the stupid lottery

also ditch the stupid loser point!

Tell me how you really feel :P

To me the draft has to be changed to give every team a chance to get a 1OA (FIRST OVERALL) pick.There are teams in the league that have never had one and teams that have had too many Edmonton and New Jersey come to mind.

Our team for instance in fifty years has never,ever had a pick of this nature,and the Oilers have had at least four in the last ten years,THIS IS FAR FROM FAIR.

ONLY 2 FIRST OVERALL DRAFT PICKS EVERY TEN YEARS,WOULD BE MUCH MORE FAIR,GIVE OTHER TEAMS A CHANCE TO IMPROVE.

NOTHING IS GUARANTEED OF COURSE BECAUSE WITH ALL THOSE FIRSTS AND THE OILERS STILL SUCK.

18 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

It seems like most years there are two discussions as the last few weeks of the season roll around:  Who's in and who's drafting where.  I'd like to see the last few weeks a little more contested and I'd also like to see the draft lottery tweaked a little bit so lower seeded teams have better opportunity to draft high.  With that in mind, here's my proposal....

At the end of the season the 7,8,9 and 10 seeds in each conference play one game to punch their ticket into the larger playoff tournament.  The 7 seed would play the 10 seed and the 8 seed would play the 9 seed.  The winner of each game is then seeded into the larger traditional playoff bracket.

I think there are a few benefits to making the change

• 4 more teams get a playoff game.
  • More teams are competing down the stretch/less throw away games.
  • Teams that lock up higher spots get an extra few days rest before the larger tournament begins
  • 4 less teams are involved in the draft lottery (assuming all teams that get a playoff game are seeded in the draft the way playoff teams are currently) therefor teams that need the help the most get a slightly higher percentage at top picks.

I'm aware this probably won't happen but I thought it could be an interesting and positive change.  Of course my idea is flawless so there can't possibly be any drawbacks right??? :rolleyes:

well it would be more of a wild card weekend then , I think it should be a 3 game series  , say seed #7 one away game then 2 home games  with ot being 5 on5 ,  or if you really want to be gimmicky  , home and away  with a mini game if it is tied  ala the old NASL( whitecaps won the soccer bowl this way) , 30 mins 5 on 5 if it is tied then 3on 3 sudden death lol