The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] All Star Weekend - Jan 24/25 2020 - Pettersson, Hughes, and Markstrom edition

Rate this topic

xereau

14 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I was thinking that it's odd that he's with the likes of Shea Weber (6'4", 229 lbs), Victor Hedman (6'6" 223 lbs), John Carlson (6'3" 218 lbs), Seth Jones (6'4" 210) and Mark Giordano (6'1" 200 lbs).  Petey's tall but he's only 176 lbs, so it'd be a testament to his talent if he can beat these bigger and taller guys.    

petey must weigh more than 176 now this season.

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

I might be in the minority of people who think it will be great to see Petey rip 100 mph clappers in front of some of the league's hardest shooters. If he can do it, it will probably take some people around the league by surprise.

I'm really looking forward to the hardest shot now, I feel good Petey is breaking 100. Wasn't he ripping slappers last year with byfuglin or some one and hitting 98+?

Also I thought last year's all star game was the best one I'd seen, I think the new format is a good base to move forward with. Maybe make the games a little longer, and give more incentive for winning it?

5 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Yeah I was thinking that it's odd that he's with the likes of Shea Weber (6'4", 229 lbs), Victor Hedman (6'6" 223 lbs), John Carlson (6'3" 218 lbs), Seth Jones (6'4" 210) and Mark Giordano (6'1" 200 lbs).  Petey's tall but he's only 176 lbs, so it'd be a testament to his talent if he can beat these bigger and taller guys.    

It's a shot contest, not a dunk or wrestling contest.    Height is overrated for hardness of shot.    Like golf - the longest drivers are not always the biggest guys.   There is a lot of technique involved.   

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

im also lookng forward to seeing Petey in the hardest shot competition. I wouldnt mind having ALL the all-star players do every drill instead of a selection to do a few, unless its some kind of other type of "team event" where u select a few to finish within a time limit. These things are far more interesting to watch then the games since the games are just fun and laughs and u dont want to hurt anyone. That usually means things just go silly and without a cause. The skills competition can instead be more prestigeous with the hardest shooter for every division and things like that. Thats something id love to see since u get to see the actual skill they represent. 

11 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

I want to see Quinn Hughes in that puck handling competition and Pettersson if accuracy shooting as well. Oh well.

There is no puck control relay this year. It would be a huge shame not to have Hughes in it if there was one. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I will say this...when the ASG was here I couldn't get tickets (single Mom, way out of my budget).  But I took my then young son to the festivities that went on beforehand....it was a super cool experience for him.  Got to go into a mock booth and play call a play on video (son loved that...chose a Bure clip).   All kinds of neat stuff for families.

The highlight was a huge moment for us....my marriage had just ended and I was flying solo...was quite daunting.     There was a comp on the ice...shooting a puck through a target (like they do at intermission during games).  From the blueline.  

Lined up with all the Dads/guys (I was the only female in line at that point)...one by one, each one missing the target.  Then my son and I stepped up..."come on Mom, you can do it".  And damn it, I did!  Son was super stoked...got a prize package for him (ASG swag.. tee shirt, hat, etc.).  Yes Mom can.  I get teary because it was a huge milestone moment for me, even if corny and trivial, that assured me "we'd be just fine".   We had an absolute blast so the ASG itself may be a money making circus but, for folks like us, there's more to it all behind the scenes.

Haha, in follow up...years later we were at the track and Dave Pratt was hosting a similar competition (throwing something through something as I recall).   Same deal...Man/fail.  Man/fail.  Man, beer in hand, fail and spill.   Deb (with guys all scoffing at her) - nailed it.  (All the target shooting, pool and dart playing really seemed to pay off with "aim").  But don't ask about the time my son counted on me as the 4 Steps To Stardom BC bowling team champion at the school parent/child bowling event..... :picard:

I really miss hockey already and will be watching.  

Ahh I remember that well. 1999. My Dad couldn’t afford tickets either but still took me down for all of the festivities. It was a great experience and made me feel like I went. I really appreciated it then and looking back I appreciate it even more. The things our parents did for us that maybe were taken for granted back then and later in life when you have kids of your own you realize how great it was and the effort they put in. Good memories. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, BlueDragon23 said:

Yeah, I despise the All Star game. It’s nothing more than a stupid cash grab by the NHL. Haven’t met one fan that actually looks forward to it. 

That being said, I wish our boys the best of luck, and I might watch the skills competition but won’t tune into the game. 

I'm not sure why the All Star Game upsets so many people like it does.  It's a fun weekend, good for the players that get to attend and it's good for the sport to get people interested.  Is it the best hockey you'll see all year?  No, that's obviously still going to be the playoffs.  But is it fun to tune in every now and then and see how your team's best players are doing?  Sure.

I love how some people are upset that it's a cash grab, but ignore that EVERYTHING about the NHL is a cash grab.  TV/Broadcast rights, overpriced food, overpriced jerseys and apparel, overpriced beer, NHL streaming services... the list goes on.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It's a shot contest, not a dunk or wrestling contest.    Height is overrated for hardness of shot.    Like golf - the longest drivers are not always the biggest guys.   There is a lot of technique involved.   

Maybe the heavier players have higher flexes to their stick that gives them extra oomph to their shots?

Hopefully EP surprises some people, but doubtful anyone beats Weber.

11 minutes ago, Dekey Pete said:

I'm not sure why the All Star Game upsets so many people like it does.  It's a fun weekend, good for the players that get to attend and it's good for the sport to get people interested.  Is it the best hockey you'll see all year?  No, that's obviously still going to be the playoffs.  But is it fun to tune in every now and then and see how your team's best players are doing?  Sure.

I love how some people are upset that it's a cash grab, but ignore that EVERYTHING about the NHL is a cash grab.  TV/Broadcast rights, overpriced food, overpriced jerseys and apparel, overpriced beer, NHL streaming services... the list goes on.

People just love to complain, just as we are complaining about the complainers lol

I think the one think that irks me that before when someone was a 10 time NHL all star if felt like that meant something like they were actually the best in the league, but maybe when I was younger I didn't see all the politics behind it. Now it just seems so gimmicky and not representative of the actual best players of that current season which seems to take away from the honour of being named an all star.