The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canada First

Rate this topic

Tree n Me

I distinctly remember both Alberta teams and Toronto were against us in 2011. They can eat dirt for all I care. 

Internationally, Canada for sure gets my support. But in the NHL, the Canucks get my support and that’s it.

Ottawa, Montreal and Winnipeg I’m indifferent about but The Laffs, Coil, and Lames? 

$@#* those losers. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I always like to see canadian players doing well throughout the league but when it comes to teams it’s only canucks, I did however cheer pretty hard for the blues last year but they were stacked with good canadian kids and I &^@#ing hate the bruins.

Canucks first and only.

I could really care less about what other Canadian team succeeds in or fails.

I'm not a fan of those teams during the regular season, why should I fake being a fan of theirs for the playoffs?

"Canada's team" stuff is such baloney. Give me a break.

The only ones that are truly happy are the actual fans of that team while I would go back to hating them in the upcoming fall. 

• Cheers 3

Meh... I never cheer for any other Canadian team.  It's the Canucks duty to return Lord Stanley's mug back across the 49th.

If I need to "hate less" a non-Canucks team, I will to run through a few filters.

No other Canadian team, no rival teams, preferably not a team that's newer than the Canucks, prefer a team that haven't won before.  

Only cheer for the Canucks :canucks: and come playoff time if my team's out I cheer for anyone but Canada.:gocan:Ya im Salty like that.

Its gonna be funny when we're the first team back in the finalsB)

This time we're gonna win though:emot-parrot:

Suck it Edmonton,Toronto,Calgary,Ottawa,Winnipeg and Montreal

Edited by naslund.is.king
  • Haha 1

I grew up in Winnipeg and remember watching the 1973 Stanley Cup Finals as a 7 year old on the CBC between the Habs and the Hawks with my family and becoming a Habs fan and Yvan Cournoyer becoming my favourite hockey player (that's the playoffs he scored 15 goals to win the Conn Smythe). I hated it when HNIC played Leaf games instead of Hab games, so I grew to dislike the Leafs (and I remember thinking Harold Ballard was a buffoon).  Because Vancouver Canuck games were as common as the Hailey Comet on HNIC during those days, I didn't even care about the Canucks.  

All this is to say is that even though the Leafs and Canucks were Canadian teams, the only Canadian team I cheered for was the Canadiens.  Then my dad started taking me to Winnipeg Jets (WHA) games in 1975, and I became a Jets and Canadiens fan, and when the Jets joined the NHL in 1979, my loyalty leaned towards the Jets (when the Jets beat the Habs in the very first "Tuxedo Night", it solidified my allegiance to the Habs).  

Having lived on the west coast from 1989 to 1997 and again from 2006 to now, I am now a diehard Canucks fan.  All other Canadian teams can kiss Roger Neilson and Pat Quinn's statues...I have zero love for the Habs or the Jets.  I've always disliked the Alberta teams and can't wait for them to beat each other up...the Senators are sort of how I felt about the Canucks back in the 1970s (out of sight, out of mind). It's Canucks or bust for me...I wouldn't think of cheering for any other Canadian team.  

I'm a Canucks fan. I'll cheer on Team Canada, but I feel no obligation to cheer for any other Canadian team because they're arbitrarily located within the same borders as us. I don't think Oilers fans cheer on the Flames just because they're Albertan, or vice-versa. We all know how much the Flyers and Penguins love each other because they're in the same state, or the Rangers and Islanders in the same city. Best buds. When Seattle comes into the league, are we expected to cheer for them over San Jose because they're closer? If anything the other teams you're closer to you hate more. 

• Cheers 1

After witnessing and somewhat enduring a 108 year winless drought, the Cubs fan in me always has me cheering for the team that hasn't won yet, regardless of which city they're from. 

If you're truly a fan of a team, you deserve to see that team win at least one championship in your lifetime.  As much as I absolutely despise the St Louis Blues, I was still happy to see their fans win their first Cup last year....and then the following day i went right back to hating their entire organization.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Tree n Me said:

I understand that natural rivalries exist between the Canucks and other teams.  As a Canuck fan since before Barry Wilkins scored franchise goal number one against Dennis DeJordy, the Canucks are my team, in good times and bad.  When the Canucks play a team like the Flames, I am solidly behind the Canucks, even though we live in the "Alberta" part of B.C.  I cheer for my hometown team to beat every team, whether it is a Canadian or American based franchise.  However, in a game between another Canadian team an ANY American team  I always choose to support the Canadian team.  I see lots of hate for certain Canadian teams on this forum, and to some degree I understand the feeling.  But I have never once in all the years I have watched hockey cheered for Any American based team when they were playing ANY Canadian team.  I'm still, and will always be, ticked that the Nordiques were relocated to a US city.

Nope, can't do it... I understand the sentiment, and when I was 8, I would have agreed... But for me, after years of the s&^% talking between fan bases and on ice happenings, the rivalries take precedent over which nation a team is based. I will always cheer for a team even like Florida vs. Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, any other pacific division team, or even central teams if it helps us in the standings for a WC spot, or screws some other team I hate. There's some US teams I want to see fail as well (Boston, Chicago, NYR, etc...) but there's nothing more satisfying than watching Toronto get shellacked. My vitriolic hate for other teams is not without reason, and many of us can attest the same.

That said, I've really got nothing against Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Montreal (<-thanks for the 2011 run support). As for american teams, I've always admired the success Tampa has had, started with the likes of St. Louis, and Lecavalier, Dallas with Modano and 'Dyk, and the Avs with Sakic, Forsberg etc. Even Detroit with Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom.

Edited by Chickenspear
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, skolozsy2 said:

After witnessing and somewhat enduring a 108 year winless drought, the Cubs fan in me always has me cheering for the team that hasn't won yet, regardless of which city they're from. 

If you're truly a fan of a team, you deserve to see that team win at least one championship in your lifetime.  As much as I absolutely despise the St Louis Blues, I was still happy to see their fans win their first Cup last year....and then the following day i went right back to hating their entire organization.

I wonder if the level of fanaticism in a fan depends on whether they live in the city they cheer for?  I live in Vancouver and I’m crazy fanatical.  I really do hate all the other teams. I want them to all lose, suffer season ruining injuries, and their prospects to all bustaroo. I’m a Cubs fan too, but I don’t have the same level of fanaticism for them as I do the Canucks.  I don’t hate all the other baseball teams, and (if the Cubs aren’t playing) can cheer for other teams, and enjoy their players doing great things.  

There could be an age factor too.  Younger fans might like a variety of teams and players because of the video games they play? 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder if the level of fanaticism in a fan depends on whether they live in the city they cheer for?  I live in Vancouver and I’m crazy fanatical.  I really do hate all the other teams. I want them to all lose, suffer season ruining injuries, and their prospects to all bustaroo. I’m a Cubs fan too, but I don’t have the same level of fanaticism for them as I do the Canucks.  I don’t hate all the other baseball teams, and (if the Cubs aren’t playing) can cheer for other teams, and enjoy their players doing great things.  

There could be an age factor too.  Younger fans might like a variety of teams and players because of the video games they play? 

Proximity does play a big role, but I think your sadistic death wish on all other teams is just you Alf.

• Cheers 1

To me I cheer for Canada at the Olympics or World Cup of Hockey,then it is only Canadians on the team.Then it seems that my Country hope for victory is real,like all the way back in 72 when we played against the Russians.To this day Paul Henderson's goal is historical and made him a national hero.

All I know is I love this game and have watched many Stanley Cups handed out and I hope that our Canucks will win one soon,it would be great for the whole province of B.C.

20 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't base things on "Canadian team" because, well, Americans play on Canadian teams and vice versa.  

If the Canucks aren't in, I base my support/backing on individual players I like.  And that's included Anaheim when Bieksa went there.

Toronto is too close to the centre of the universe for me so...no.

Alberta teams can take a flying leap into an oil pit.  They're our heated rivals so double no to them...ew.

I notice that you didn't mention Kesler there, Deb....

...Freudian slip? B)

First and foremost, I am a fan of the game of hockey and Vancouver has been my chosen team since the old Western League days when I was just a bit of a kid. I have always found it silly to make distinctions between Canadian, American and European players and teams. I just love the game and want to see it played by the best players, not all of whom are Canadian. And that's just fine with me. That said, I can understand how some Canadians feel some kind of ownership of hockey and constantly want to project Canada's superiority over the game. I just don't agree or find that argument in any way useful or helpful. And I don't find it a national embarrassment that no Canadian team since 1993 has won the Stanley Cup. Hell, the last Canadian team to make the Final was soundly criticized all across this great country of ours, so being Canadian in the Cup Final doesn't exactly count for much if most of the country is hoping you lose.