The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van 20-21 Roster, Poll what you think Virtanen, Gaud, Stecher and Markstrom are worth

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

RFA UFA player worth to you  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I haven't certainly made that decision yet. I certainly want to see what we have in Tryamkin, but counting on him to be NHL-calibre for certain is too risky imo. 

With those three players, I think there's a possibility Tryamkin can play at their level, but it really grinds my gears when people expect Tryamkin to replace Tanev, as Tanev is in a higher echelon.

Well you said he was not comparable to Benn or Fanta.. is that not saying that you think those guys are better? 

Edit: I also don't get the comments from you and other's about "risk". If we took a hypothetical situation where you roll a 3 sided die and one of Fanta, Benn, Stech are moved in place of Tryamkin, where is the risk in that? 

It's like saying when we signed Fanta this summer that we were taking a risk because he might not have been an NHL caliber defenseman..

Edited by 'NucK™

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Good post.  I think JB continues to say publicly that he is excited to get Tryamkin back because he’s trying to keep the asset’s value higher for trade.  Tryamkin and his agent keep saying they are excited about coming back to the NHL (Vancouver too) soTryamkin’s trade value is good enough for JB to make a deal.  

Alf where d'ya get these Tryamkin reports, I never see any of em or even hear people talking about it?

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

Good post.  I think JB continues to say publicly that he is excited to get Tryamkin back because he’s trying to keep the asset’s value higher for trade.  Tryamkin and his agent keep saying they are excited about coming back to the NHL (Vancouver too) soTryamkin’s trade value is good enough for JB to make a deal.  

Or maybe he is just excited to get him back, and Tryamkin is also excited about coming back to the NHL and Vancouver? 

Oh wait you just said that... 

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think I am a big Tryamkin fan and think. Is worth signing (at a reasonable price)... but slotting him in as a top 4 D with zero NHL games played in three years, and not even being in that spot when he left... that is banking a lot on very little resume.

Stecher on the other hand has played an average of 20 minutes a game for whole seasons and has solid underlying numbers.  Based on age, speed, cost, and injury history... I probably keep him over Tanev (but it is close).

The other OP idea that Demko is the guy to go with right now... that is just insanity.  This season Markstrom has the best adjusted/advanced goalie numbers in the entire league... not top 5, not top 3.... #1.  Any goalie with better numbers is playing behind a defence that is way tighter.  At the same time he wants to be here, and he is still relatively unknown outside our market, so his UFA numbers aren’t likely going to be Inflated. 

Agreed that we cannot rely on a proven player in Tryamkin.  Stecher would be a good 4-5 guy.  IMO Tryamkin should be about the same.  

Provided 2 things.  He is fit and ready.  

He had a notable issue 3 years ago.  Green will not tolerate a lack of fitness.  

Secondly, his play has not declined in any way.  I don't have any ability to really follow his progress.  

In his rookie season, I saw a guy who could be a really solid two way number 4 d man with a bit if seasoning.  

Our defence was abysmal so my opinion could change.  Hutton looked okay compared to Pouliot and Sbisa.  He would struggle to stay in our line up atm.  

Stecher can cover and battle it out for the number 4 spot.  

Adding a mobile 6'7 d man at 260lbs...  

Tryamkin is worth the gamble.  It's not like he couldn't be traded.  Somebody else would role the dice with him. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 'NucK™ said:

Really? Your answer to why you like Fanta, Benn and Stecher more is that they have played more games? Gubdranson has played more than all of them combined so I guess you must really miss him eh?  And we should probably be going after Hamhuis, Keith, Seabrook too they must be the best defensemen in the game right now having played over 1000!

Well that's pretty much the reason Myers plays more minutes than any of those guys.. 

I think he supplants them because we have enough quick puck moving d-men on the roster. As physical as you guys say Benn and Fanta are, they are nowhere close to the dominating dmen many teams have - that are especially noticeable when playoffs come around. Really if you look at their strengths, they are puck-moving dmen just like Stecher, and saying that is their best strength isn't exactly a compliment. 

Tryamkin could be a difference maker in games and the Canucks need that to make any kind of run. You are never going to get that from any of those three guys. 

I see what you're saying but we just haven't seen what Tryamkin will bring. It's a risk. You don't just switch out functioning dmen that easily without being sure. We'll see, maybe JB is set on getting him here. It's really hard to tell where he is at in reality without being a scout yourself.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Translation - "I needed another thread to demonstrate that any Canuck future that I can show that doesn't have Markstrom in it makes me feel good about myself."

That's ok I will be in the Demko camp all by myself, I don't mind being in the minority and if it is the minority of 1 and I'm right it will be a whole lot sweeter 

Demko future starter of the Vancouver Canucks

Demko is coming for your job Marky

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

That's ok I will be in the Demko camp all by myself, I don't mind being in the minority and if it is the minority of 1 and I'm right it will be a whole lot sweeter 

Demko future starter of the Vancouver Canucks

Demko is coming for your job Marky

Demko has that potential for sure but no team can compete for long in the NHL without two solid goalies.    You can get one guy on a run but without someone in the wings, you are one groin tweak away from disaster.   Canucks have no other goalie remotely ready for duty in the NHL nor will they unless by trade or signing a UFA will they for the Seattle season.    So it makes zero sense to rid yourself of your current No 1 only to then go and compete for something similar in the marketplace unless Marky and agent get foolish with their signing demands....which the player seems fully against happening if you listen to him (he wants to be in Vancouver).

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

anyone what to change their mind on signing Markstrom

After all we have a younger, cheaper and IMO better Version in Demko 

With that approach, Canucks should have let Edler walk this off season as Hughes is younger, cheaper and IYO better Version.   Same with Horvat - let him walk.   EP40 is a younger, cheaper and IYO better Version.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

anyone what to change their mind on signing Markstrom

After all we have a younger, cheaper and IMO better Version in Demko 

One game doesn't make a starter.

Demko is a rookie and is performing well but he's yet to prove that he can handle the workload and pressure of being an nhl starter. In addition, his two concussions also put up a question mark for his future. We need to see him play at least another full season healthy and take on more of a work load before being handed the reigns from Marky.

Do I think he will be a bonafide NHL starter for the canucks? (or any other team if traded) absolutely. He seems to have all the tools, but let's not rush him and put this team in a situation where one injury and we have a crisis in net.

Remember Eddie Lack looked good too when playing sporadically as a backup for Luongo, so much so that some fans thought he  was better than luo... Not saying thats the case for demko, just that we should show a little more patience. I'd like the  team to keep both marky and demko until a trade is absolutely necessary. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well you said he was not comparable to Benn or Fanta.. is that not saying that you think those guys are better? 

Edit: I also don't get the comments from you and other's about "risk". If we took a hypothetical situation where you roll a 3 sided die and one of Fanta, Benn, Stech are moved in place of Tryamkin, where is the risk in that? 

It's like saying when we signed Fanta this summer that we were taking a risk because he might not have been an NHL caliber defenseman..

The "comparable" comment I made was misconstrued. What I meant by that was that of the players you named, only Stecher was around when Tryamkin was last on the team. We haven't seen how Tryamkin compares to the other guys since he's been in Russia for the last three years.

The risk would be in Benning planning his D-corps around Tryamkin being an NHL-calibre defenceman instead of relying on more certain knowledge. If we leave a spot for Tryamkin as the #4 or #5 guy and it turns out he's more of a #8, we've just screwed ourselves over. Fantenberg wasn't a risk, because he was slotted as the #7 guy and we weren't counting on him to be a top 4 defender or anything like that.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:34 AM, -AJ- said:

But I hear that the two replacements we have for him are a guy with 2 NHL games and another with 79 games that hasn't played an NHL game in 3 years and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire in a weaker league overseas. /s

Tanev has been a work horse this season. God forbid he gets injured. We lose him, Canucks get worse. No way tryamkin or anybody in our system for that matter will be able to replace his defensive ability. 

• Upvote 1

Green better take jake off the top line because every game his price is going up. Love to listen to the sports channels as the experts are trying to come up with their latest excuse to explain why he's doing well. Tell you what, some of you posters would make terrible agents. Canucks have got to try to trade tanev well he still has value. Yes it may hurt in the short run what it will add another asset. 

20 minutes ago, nuk76 said:

Green better take jake off the top line because every game his price is going up. Love to listen to the sports channels as the experts are trying to come up with their latest excuse to explain why he's doing well. Tell you what, some of you posters would make terrible agents. Canucks have got to try to trade tanev well he still has value. Yes it may hurt in the short run what it will add another asset. 

Jakes definitely earning a few more bucks on his next contract.... only way we should consider trading Tanev is if we completely crap the bed between now and the tdl.  We’re a young team sitting first in our division, we probably shouldn’t be buyers or sellers. 

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, 6string said:

Alf where d'ya get these Tryamkin reports, I never see any of em or even hear people talking about it?

His agent said last week he wants to play in the NHL next season...I googled it last week when I first saw something about it on the CDC, not much to read but it does shows there is a desire to come back on his part. Also read that it could be a ploy to as a leveraging tool on his next KHL contract - so who really knows what's exactly going on.   Doubt he will get a better contract here, so if he does come back he's definitely serious about it.   Have to wonder though if was unhappy about his minutes before what expectations might look like, and how willing he's going to be to put his time in and earn it.  Until he signs there the rumours and the  chances of coming back seem pretty reasonable ...

Would be great to get him back, maybe he comes to camp and gets a contract based on that.   His size and mobility are drool worthy.   Myers size with a build like Horvat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

The "comparable" comment I made was misconstrued. What I meant by that was that of the players you named, only Stecher was around when Tryamkin was last on the team. We haven't seen how Tryamkin compares to the other guys since he's been in Russia for the last three years.

The risk would be in Benning planning his D-corps around Tryamkin being an NHL-calibre defenceman instead of relying on more certain knowledge. If we leave a spot for Tryamkin as the #4 or #5 guy and it turns out he's more of a #8, we've just screwed ourselves over. Fantenberg wasn't a risk, because he was slotted as the #7 guy and we weren't counting on him to be a top 4 defender or anything like that.

I'd be shocked if JB gives Tryamkin more then a year, maybe two.   I'm sure they are watching carefully and trying to gauge his transferable skill set but hard to do in the KHL.   I see him getting an invite to camp and having to earn the contract too.   We don't need another circus around this guy, and he won't get as much as if he stayed either.   One million one year is my guess.  No ED required either that way. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

My point is.. if Fantenberg wasn't a risk, how is losing him (or Benn/Stecher), to give Tryamkin a chance any more of a risk?? 

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

My point is.. if Fantenberg wasn't a risk, how is losing him (or Benn/Stecher), to give Tryamkin a chance any more of a risk?? 

I have no problem with giving Tryamkin a chance--in fact, I'd like him to be given a chance. Where my concerns arrive are if we pay him like a top 4 defender or expect him to fill a regular role. If we sign him for money and expectations befitting reality (imo a #6/7 defenseman at the very best), then I have no problem with it.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

His agent said last week he wants to play in the NHL next season...I googled it last week when I first saw something about it on the CDC, not much to read but it does shows there is a desire to come back on his part. Also read that it could be a ploy to as a leveraging tool on his next KHL contract - so who really knows what's exactly going on.   Doubt he will get a better contract here, so if he does come back he's definitely serious about it.   Have to wonder though if was unhappy about his minutes before what expectations might look like, and how willing he's going to be to put his time in and earn it.  Until he signs there the rumours and the  chances of coming back seem pretty reasonable ...

Would be great to get him back, maybe he comes to camp and gets a contract based on that.   His size and mobility are drool worthy.   Myers size with a build like Horvat.

He won't be going to Utica we know that for sure.

To pay regularily he's gonna have to be better than the likes of a Fantenberg - just saying.