The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Van 20-21 Roster, Poll what you think Virtanen, Gaud, Stecher and Markstrom are worth

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

RFA UFA player worth to you  

176 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Trade Baer and Sutter in the off-season. Try to unload Eriksson too.

Team has the option of letting one of Tanev/Stecher go. Tanev makes us a better team and is a fantastic partner for Hughes. Is an excellent PKer too but is gonna cost more money. Stecher is the lesser player but at a lesser cap hit. Hasn't been utilized on special teams much and has mostly been a 5v5 player. The loss of Tanev would be more significant than the loss of Stecher

I personally keep Tanev unless he's asking for more than 4 years. 

Make a deal with Seattle to not pick Demko.

Gaudette has no rights so he should be easy to sign. Virtanen has a lot more luxury as a RFA so it's hard to predict. Any deals based off of potential are risks and we get a lot more cap in 2022's off-season so management should perhaps be trying for a 2 year deal.

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

It is deeply amusing to me that you spent hours arguing the opposite just yesterday and the day before, and insisted there were no cap concerns at all, and we could sign everyone we needed to.... without having to trade those players.

Now we are going to lose the best starting goalie in the league (by adjusted advanced stats), or lose one of our top D men.... and have to trade those players..

:):lol:

This is such an irrational argument, 

Just cause a team has to lose a player or players doesn't mean it has a cap crunch it means teams should have backup plans, succession plans, you probably thought oh my i got him now he messed up is logic hahaha. The Two go hand in hand in the cap era. You will never find me say we can keep every one. In the cap era you'd have to be a fool to think like that and a Gm would be a fool to not have a succession plan, that's why Benning just said that each year younger guys will be introduced into the lineup to fill the holes and take the positions of expiring contracts. I'm paraphrasing it can all be read in the recent  post with JB's interview on this very forum.

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Are you guaranteeing signing Marky means we lose Tanev? 

my guess is based on what the numbers say.

Yours is based on what Benning and another GM will agree on.

I put higher probabilities on the Numbers then on a GM giving up a high draft pick

4 hours ago, Arrow 1983 said:

You know what this poll tells me about those on this forum, everyone has voted pretty much to keep everyone other then Stecher  and a few have said let Tanev go at the trade deadline or July 1st.

But do you know why no one has posted a roster, Cause it can't be down within the cap without trading either Eriksson, Sutter or and Baer and those contacts are unmovable. The only ones that can post a roster with Marky on it are those that let Tanev go.

Here you go :)

C - Horvat (5.5M), Petey (0.925), Sutter (4.375), Beagle (3), Gaud (2)

= $15.8 million (roster: 5/22)

W - Boes (5.875), JT (5.25), Virt (3), Pearson (3.75), Rooster (3), Loui (6), Motte (1.05), Ferland (3.5)

= $31.43 million (roster: 13/22)

D - Edler (6), Tanev (5), Huggy (0.92), Myers (6), Benn (2), Rafferty (0.7), Juolevi (0.86)

= $21.48 million (roster: 20/22)

G - Marky (5.4), Demko (1.05)

= $6.45 million 

Buried / Buyout / Recapture 

Sven (2.29) / Spooner (1.03) / Lu (3.03)

= $6.35 million

For a total of $81.5 million, under today's salary cap.  

Bold are players that would be under new contracts.

edit: sorry forgot potential 4.5M in cap overage from this year but this is still players getting substantial raises. Yes if we really are so inclined to keep both Tanev and Marky we may need to move an asset out with Baer, or just trade Sutter. Basically we need to lose one player who makes over 3.5M.. big deal.. 

Edited by 'NucK™

3 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

W - Boes (5.875), JT (5.25), Virt (3), Pearson (3.75), Rooster (3), Loui (6), Motte (1.05), Ferland (3.5)

D - Edler (6), Tanev (5), Huggy (0.92), Myers (6), Benn (2), Rafferty (0.7), Juolevi (0.86)

= $6.45 million 

= $6.35 million

Does that take in account the cap overages from Petey and Hughes?

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

= $6.45 million 

= $6.35 million

According to capfriendly you are $13,205 over 81.5million

I will say i don't disagree with your dollar amounts for the forwards and Defense

My problem is Marky at 5.400mill i disagree that he signs that low and would be closer to 6-6.5 and yes i could be wrong.

What it looks like to me is you signed everyone you wanted and then what ever was left was what Marky was going to get. I just don't think it works like that. 

Just now, Arrow 1983 said:

If there is any cap overages this doesn't take them into account

We would need to move Baer and Sutter then hope you can move Eriksson or that he retires.

Anaheim could be a home for Eriksson since they are willing to take bad contracts. Would have to feed them a lot of picks if we are fine with that.

After that we'd get a lot more relief with the cap.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We would need to move Baer and Sutter then hope you can move Eriksson or that he retires.

Anaheim could be a home for Eriksson since they are willing to take bad contracts. Would have to feed them a lot of picks if we are fine with that.

After that we'd get a lot more relief with the cap.

So I think at least you understand unless the Canucks are able to move 1 or 2 of those pieces (which they haven't been able to yet) something will have to give.

IMO all 3 of those contracts are unmovable.

So I think at least you understand unless the Canucks are able to move 1 or 2 of those pieces (which they haven't been able to yet) something will have to give.

IMO all 3 of those contracts are unmovable.

IMO Sutter and Baer will be a lot easier to move on 1 year deals. Any rebuilding team definitely wouldn't be afraid and fringe teams who don't want to spend a lot to acquire someone. It happens all the time. If Sutter ends the year healthy he could be a enticing piece to anyone that needs bottom 6 help. We wouldn't get much for Baer or Sutter though but I don't think we would have to attach much with them either.

Eriksson would cost us to get rid of.

What does this poll tell us, The collective will of this forum does understand what these players are worth, however, does not understand at their current worth not all have them can stay. The only player half of this forum will let go of is Stecher. What you guys don't understand is that his Contract allow will not cover Virtanen and Guads contract raises never mind Markys.

the collective will of this forums Roster. This is taking the most voted for dollar term and building a roster with it.

Forwards

Miller 5.250  Petey 0.925  Boeser 5.875

Pearson 3.750 Horvat 5.500 Eriksson 6.000

Roussel 3.000 Gaud (2.00)  Virtanen (3.00)

Ferland 3.500 Beagle 3.000 Sutter 4.375

Defence 

Edler 6.000 Myers 6.000

Hughes 0.917 Tanev (  4.500)

Benn 2.00  Rafferty 0.700

Juolevi 0.863

Goalie

Marky  5.500

Demko  1.050

21 man roster (roster max is 23),  Cap hit (80,063,205)  Cap space remaining  (1,436,795) Minimum salary is .700 (.700*2=1.4 million to get to a max roster size) 

First, Notice for Gaud, Virtanen, Marky and Tanev the 2nd most votes where for the dollar value greater then the one in the roster. So this could raise up .500 per each of those players or (.500*4= 2.000million)

Second, Half of the votes for Stecher, are to sign him well half want to let him go. I wanted to give the collective will of this forum a fighting chance so I left him out.

I personally disagree with Marky coming in at 5.5million unless he gets an 7-8 year deal and I will just ask the collective will is that term ok with you. This goes the same for Tanev as well the collective will is saying that he gets a .005 raise in his next contract. Maybe but at what term does the collective will want Tanev with his injury issues for 5-6 more years. IMO there is no way that Tanev signs for 4.500 million for a short term deal.

IMO Marky gets 6-6.5 I could be very wrong but just for a moment lets say I get this right. Lets say he gets 6.5million on a shorter term deal like 3-4 years. What does it do to the roster then.

Edited by Arrow 1983

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO Sutter and Baer will be a lot easier to move on 1 year deals. Any rebuilding team definitely wouldn't be afraid and fringe teams who don't want to spend a lot to acquire someone. It happens all the time. If Sutter ends the year healthy he could be a enticing piece to anyone that needs bottom 6 help. We wouldn't get much for Baer or Sutter though but I don't think we would have to attach much with them either.

Eriksson would cost us to get rid of.

I agree that Sutter would be the easiest to move

But Baer proved none of these guys get moved unless the Canucks retain salary or/and add a sweetener. other wise a team would have picked him up for free.

Edited by Arrow 1983

I agree that Sutter would be the easiest to move

But Baer proved none of these guys get moved unless the Canucks retain salary or/and add a sweetener. other wise a team would have picked him up for free.

I don't think that is definitive of next season.

Perhaps they were a bit worried of the 2 year deal? They could want to keep that cap and use it in FA. There's always losers in FA though and they could look for an alternative which Baer could be if they miss out on players they wanted. Maybe someone gets hurt long term or someone has the cap to see if a project like Baer works out for them. A lot of variables to consider and the landscape is always changing. Don't forget, we were a team not afraid of taking these chances once. Just have to find a team in the right situation for him.

Point is I would say never say never but if he is dealt it would literately be for nothing, perhaps a sweetener from us like you said.

1 hour ago, Arrow 1983 said:

According to capfriendly you are $13,205 over 81.5million

I will say i don't disagree with your dollar amounts for the forwards and Defense

My problem is Marky at 5.400mill i disagree that he signs that low and would be closer to 6-6.5 and yes i could be wrong.

What it looks like to me is you signed everyone you wanted and then what ever was left was what Marky was going to get. I just don't think it works like that. 

Well no I had him at 5.5 to start and then had to shave off 0.1 is all.. but everyone gets pretty substantial raises IMO.. if Marky wants more I think he will be moving on is the bottom line

40 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I personally disagree with Marky coming in at 5.5million unless he gets an 7-8 year deal and I will just ask the collective will is that term ok with you. This goes the same for Tanev as well the collective will is saying that he gets a .005 raise in his next contract. Maybe but at what term does the collective will want Tanev with his injury issues for 5-6 more years. IMO there is no way that Tanev signs for 4.500 million for a short term deal.

IMO Marky gets 6-6.5 I could be very wrong but just for a moment lets say I get this right. Lets say he gets 6.5million on a shorter term deal like 3-4 years. What does it do to the roster then.

But why be so concerned about the perspective of the players? Yes you are probably right.. but the team won't sign Marky on a 7-8 year deal the same way they won't sign Tanev for 5M+. So it's really up to the players if they stay or go. This is why I voted trade Tanev at deadline (but realistically it won't happen if we are anywhere near WC and he will just walk in the off season if he is looking for $$).