The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-Toronto

It looks like Markstrom is an all-star goaltender in his prime which makes Demko redundant as he seems like he will be a starter in 1-2 years time. With Dipietro in the minors, we will be able to sell off Demko. 

After Freddy Anderson, Toronto has Hutchinson at #2 and a bum at #2. Hutchinson I don't believe is a good backup so if Anderson goes down, the Leafs will be screwed. Demko is good enough to take over for Anderson if they choose to go that route. 

To Vancouver

Michael Hutchinson 

Alex Kerfoot 

To Toronto 

Thatcher Demko

Tim Schaller 

• Haha 2
  • Wat 2

7 hours ago, dough teeth said:

It looks like Markstrom is an all-star goaltender in his prime which makes Demko redundant as he seems like he will be a starter in 1-2 years time. With Dipietro in the minors, we will be able to sell off Demko. 

After Freddy Anderson, Toronto has Hutchinson at #2 and a bum at #2. Hutchinson I don't believe is a good backup so if Anderson goes down, the Leafs will be screwed. Demko is good enough to take over for Anderson if they choose to go that route. 

To Vancouver

Michael Hutchinson 

Alex Kerfoot 

To Toronto 

Thatcher Demko

Tim Schaller 

Depth, why do so few fans get this?

Demko isn't going anywhere.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Depth, why do so few fans get this?

Demko isn't going anywhere.

I am not certain that is true at all.  Maybe not by the deadline, but if Markstrom’s contract ends up being 4-5 years, then Demko become a luxury.  Nice to have, but could garner a return that helps us more than he does.  A 5 year plan could easily include having a veteran back up for 1-2 years, and then getting DiPietro up to speed as a back up and getting ready to take over from Markstrom at the end of Markstrom’s new contract.

The return needs to be more than a player who doesn’t upgrade us though.  For the 20 of so games you would expect a backup to play, Demko probably wins us at least a couple more games than a pure veteran back up does.

7 hours ago, dough teeth said:

To Vancouver

Michael Hutchinson 

Alex Kerfoot 

To Toronto 

Thatcher Demko

Tim Schaller 

half baked boo GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m confused by this proposal on every level from a Vancouver standpoint. 

I guess the bones of the deal are Demko for Kerfoot. With Schaller in there to balance out the salary for Hutchinson for this year.  

I suppose I see why Toronto does it. But why would Vancouver? Where does a 5’10” C fit into a Vancouver team that already has Petterrson and Horvat as 1/2?  He doesn’t strike me as a guy who’d be effective in a bottom 6 role. The value doesn’t seem completely insane, but the fit for Vancouver isn’t there  

• Upvote 3

Just now, Alflives said:

Don’t need Crapenen either.  Demko has a lot more value than that.  

The value Kapanen has is he can play top six, PK, PP, great skater and has a decent cap hit for two more years.  Don't want to trade Demko, but Kapanen intrigues me.  I really like his game.  Would look really good on Bo's or Petey's RW.  

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, dough teeth said:

To Vancouver

Michael Hutchinson 

Alex Kerfoot 

To Toronto 

Thatcher Demko

Tim Schaller 

So let’s trade a great backup goaltender we’ve spent years developing for one that you don’t believe is a good backup.

3943597E-B92E-42EA-A028-EC970C4B6FDA.jpeg

Edited by sonoman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sonoman said:

So let’s trade a great backup goaltender we’ve spent years developing for one that you don’t believe is a good backup.

And then there's 25yr old Kerfoot, when the Nucks have a better player in 23yr old Gaudette. 

Me thinks the op must be a Leaf blower.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The OPs idea would be fine if the ED wasn't looming.  TO does this and is in the same situation we are currently in - which is at the moment at least Demko is the easy choice for Seattle assuming JM is signed and protected - he's definitely the best player available - makes a decent back-up with significant upside to become a number one in this league.   

TO won't likely make a change like this unless Andersson is down - then we could take advantage of this but I'd be going after Kapannen instead to make it worthwhile.   

Ive been saying for a while now - that a long term contract with JM almost certainly means Demkos days are numbered- either via the ED or a trade after the ED.  He won't sit for four years waiting for a turn. 

1 hour ago, Borvat said:

The value Kapanen has is he can play top six, PK, PP, great skater and has a decent cap hit for two more years.  Don't want to trade Demko, but Kapanen intrigues me.  I really like his game.  Would look really good on Bo's or Petey's RW.  

This.  Demko is a great young goalie and a good draft pick we've developed the right way.  He definitely has a chance to become a starter in this league at some point and will get his chance - whether it's with us and a time share situation with JM in two or three years - or with another team.   It's ok if he gets traded too - as long as the return is fair or hopefully lopsided toward us ha ha.  We need R wingers and RHD - the latter preferably.   JB might end up paying Seattle to take someone else if he wants to keep him for when JM is older ... that scenario won't be cheap for us and has its pitfalls given how many capable veteran  back-ups will be available - and carries extra cap (look at what some of the proven vets go for these days as back-ups - cheap cheap cheap). 

For young goalies, right now Hutton and Hart are carrying the torch - with Samsanov and Demko in the wings as far as future number ones go.  Jarry in PIT looks to have made Murray expendable too.  You can bet Seattle is waiting to see what happens this summer with Holtby, Markstrom and Lehner, and maybe Murray getting exposed - the 

top goalies that MIGHT be available for a starter.   You can bet they will take at least four goalies.   And Demko/Samsanov will be their key targets for goalie of the future back-up in mind.   

With all that said - JB probably has plans for several scenarios.  Each have their merits - personally I think a Demko trade for an up and coming RHD or a proven RFA makes a lot of sense - when he pulls the trigger is another thing - no way Seattle doesn't take someone else without us adding though - and that also needs to be in the equation.    Markstrom next contract will determine a lot.  Same with what happens the next year or so...in the end - like everyone else here, the thought of losing Demko for nothing is stupid.   JB doesn't seem worried which is encouraging.

edit:  the added value of having Kappanen is he could become a trade chip later as well as having good chance of becoming a core guy.   Demko too so tough choice. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I am not certain that is true at all.  Maybe not by the deadline, but if Markstrom’s contract ends up being 4-5 years, then Demko become a luxury.  Nice to have, but could garner a return that helps us more than he does.  A 5 year plan could easily include having a veteran back up for 1-2 years, and then getting DiPietro up to speed as a back up and getting ready to take over from Markstrom at the end of Markstrom’s new contract.

The return needs to be more than a player who doesn’t upgrade us though.  For the 20 of so games you would expect a backup to play, Demko probably wins us at least a couple more games than a pure veteran back up does.

Expansion draft is coming up in 2021, and although I trust that Benning will make a deal for who gets chosen, there's the possibility of losing a goalie. Would much rather lean on Demko in case of injuries, until we have no choice. DiPietro is not ready.

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

Rather get a first round pick for Demko, and keep the pipeline of young ELC guys coming. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1