The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver-Toronto

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Rather get a first round pick for Demko, and keep the pipeline of young ELC guys coming. 

I also think along these lines.

Maybe snag some of TO top D prospects instead (Sandin or Liljegren). 

I don't know TO prospects...so whatever prospect that would be fair value is good.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, BPA said:

I also think along these lines.

Maybe snag some of TO top D prospects instead (Sandin or Liljegren). 

I don't know TO prospects...so whatever prospect that would be fair value is good.

Maybe other teams, who covet Demko, have better prospects?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Maybe other teams, who covet Demko, have better prospects?  

Quite possible.  I don't know other teams needs and how good their goalie prospects are.  This is just my opinion, but I think Canucks needs to bolster their D prospect depth.  As some can pan out but some may not.

However, I would prefer trading Demko + for a top tier D (preferably RHD at good cap and with some term) that can improve the current D core.

I don't want the Canucks to just make the playoffs but go a bit deep.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Expansion draft is coming up in 2021, and although I trust that Benning will make a deal for who gets chosen, there's the possibility of losing a goalie. Would much rather lean on Demko in case of injuries, until we have no choice. DiPietro is not ready.

I think pre-expansion deals are going to be rarer after McPhee took everyone to the cleaners using them.

As it stands we will probably lose a goalie in expansion, but that goes against your concern about depth.  We won’t have it regardless after next season.

An interim back up to play 20 games a year isn’t that hard.  DiPietro is exempt so can’t be picked up and should easily be ready to be a backup in 2 more years, 3 on the on the outside 

3 minutes ago, BPA said:

Quite possible.  I don't know other teams needs and how good their goalie prospects are.  This is just my opinion, but I think Canucks needs to bolster their D prospect depth.  As some can pan out but some may not.

However, I would prefer trading Demko + for a top tier D (preferably RHD at good cap and with some term) that can improve the current D core.

I don't want the Canucks to just make the playoffs but go a bit deep.

That would be great.  Imagine JB getting us the D version of JT Miller for Demko.  

Would you (JB?) trade right now Tanev for Barrie?  Both are coming UFAs, right?  

I was watching TSN trade counter and it was reported Benning was looking for another top 9 forward but doesn't have assets to trade for one as he doesn't want to trade his top prospects and already traded his 1st. 

Demko is already 24 years old (same age as Kerfoot) so we already know what his skill level is. He is a starting goalie but I don't think he's elite (such as Georgiev) 

Kerfoot is a 40 point player 20 goals, 20 assist player playing on the 3rd line when he was in Colorado. 

God forbids if Petterson gets injured but if you want Gaudette to play 2nd line center if he gets injured... 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That would be great.  Imagine JB getting us the D version of JT Miller for Demko.  

Would you (JB?) trade right now Tanev for Barrie?  Both are coming UFAs, right?  

TO is more in a bind with their depleted D core.  I doubt they would want to part with Barrie just yet.  I have no desire to part with Tanev unless TO is also willing to take some excess baggage.

Maybe something like...

Tanev + Baer + Demko

for

Barrie + Lilgeren + Hutchinson.

But I would have to consider whether Barrie can be defensively responsible (not to an extent of Tanev) and maintain his offensive output.  Also to consider the impact it might have on Hughes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BPA said:

TO is more in a bind with their depleted D core.  I doubt they would want to part with Barrie just yet.  I have no desire to part with Tanev unless TO is also willing to take some excess baggage.

Maybe something like...

Tanev + Baer + Demko

for

Barrie + Lilgeren + Hutchinson.

But I would have to consider whether Barrie can be defensively responsible (not to an extent of Tanev) and maintain his offensive output.  Also to consider the impact it might have on Hughes.

Yes TOR is in a bind. Mostly with lack of cap space, which has limited their ability to afford depth and now with injuries their D corps is depleted.

But the above trade is not realistic due to the lack of cap space for TOR. They can’t afford $8.9m coming in with only $4.3m going out.

They also probably don’t want to send 2 Dmen out and only get one back, since they are already so thin on D.

More likely they want to trade F or picks for more help on D.

My last point is that I would only trade Tanev for a 1st round pick return. He is too valuable to VAN for anything less. Even with that return it is questionable whether we should let him go as he is a key piece to getting into the playoffs or not this season, and is key to being competitive in the playoffs if we make it.

1 hour ago, dough teeth said:

I was watching TSN trade counter and it was reported Benning was looking for another top 9 forward but doesn't have assets to trade for one as he doesn't want to trade his top prospects and already traded his 1st. 

Demko is already 24 years old (same age as Kerfoot) so we already know what his skill level is. He is a starting goalie but I don't think he's elite (such as Georgiev) 

Kerfoot is a 40 point player 20 goals, 20 assist player playing on the 3rd line when he was in Colorado. 

God forbids if Petterson gets injured but if you want Gaudette to play 2nd line center if he gets injured... 

Miller plays a lot of centre, and we ha e Sutter.  It would be one of them almost certainly and not bad extra options compared with most teams.

I am not against Demko being traded at all, but I would far prefer in a package that sheds cap and/or brings us a top 4 RD that has some term left.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Personally, I keep Demko and move Dipietro at some point. I feel Demko has the better chance at being a #1 vs Mikey D

Were it not for expansion that could be a plan, but we will almost certainly lose one of our two goalies in expansion (because we have so many exempt and undesirable players in other positions).

Actually, it there was no expansion, I would let Demko back up Markstrom for another year or two with an increasing workload... then auction him off for a solid return and then bring up Dipietro to be the back up and be ready to take over from Markstrom when his next contract expires in 3-4 years.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Were it not for expansion that could be a plan, but we will almost certainly lose one of our two goalies in expansion (because we have so many exempt and undesirable players in other positions).

Actually, it there was no expansion, I would let Demko back up Markstrom for another year or two with an increasing workload... then auction him off for a solid return and then bring up Dipietro to be the back up and be ready to take over from Markstrom when his next contract expires in 3-4 years.

Yep pretty much this.   Demko's trajectory definitely appears to be a future starter - if we go with Markstrom then might as well trade him for something else we need more - work with developing our other guys and find a cheaper vet if we need to plug holes.    Maybe we can keep him until he's a UFA (Demko) and then switch which would be ideal .... if it wasn't for the ED.  

• Upvote 1