The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Is Jim Benning the best GM in the NHL at the season's halfway mark?

Rate this topic

-AJ-

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Is Jim Benning the best GM in the NHL at the season's halfway mark?

Seems way premature to judge any GM at anything 1/2 through a season.   IF the Canucks can show compete the rest of the schedule and be playing meaningful games (playoff implications - they don't necessarily have to be in) in games 75 to 82 then one could argue he had a major role in this turnaround but "best" would be a bit of a stretch.   Continue to this climb and win some hardware in next few seasons - then let's talk.    

For me, Benning is a competent GM but an outstanding scout.   I think he gets too much credit at time but also he gets shat upon far too often (though lessening).  He was a good choice for the franchise at the time and I am pleased his slow build was chosen over Linden's "support the Sedins at all costs".   However, not quite ready to put him even into the conversation as "best" until what he is building/has built really does some damage post beginning of April inclusive of winning a few rounds between now and a few years from now.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

For sure but they do the mid-season writers association poll for all the trophies around this time. You can't put too much stock in it but it is fun to get a gauge of how people are feeling so far. The fact that Benning is viewed as 4th place is quite a development though considering it was only a couple of years ago he was ranked 31st.

And he was ranked 31st at the time before Vegas had ever played a game in the NHL!

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

The fact that Benning is viewed as 4th place is quite a development though considering it was only a couple of years ago he was ranked 31st.

Grain of salt - large one - at no time was Benning remotely close to the worst GM in the NHL....he has been a solid middle of the page GM from the start given he inherited an absolutely empty tank.    I think there is no question he has improved in the job but both rankings are seemingly tied to something other than actual GM performance.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Grain of salt - large one - at no time was Benning remotely close to the worst GM in the NHL....he has been a solid middle of the page GM from the start given he inherited an absolutely empty tank.    I think there is no question he has improved in the job but both rankings are seemingly tied to something other than actual GM performance.

Oh, it was a crock to be sure. Especially considering this was, I believe, right in the middle of Chiarelli doing whatever the &^@# you call what he did in Edmonton. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

For sure but they do the mid-season writers association poll for all the trophies around this time. You can't put too much stock in some categories (though others are pretty apparent at this point) but it is fun to get a gauge of how people are feeling so far. The fact that Benning is viewed as 4th place is quite a development though considering it was only a couple of years ago he was ranked 31st.

sure but this is soooo standings based

what if the Canucks had 1 less win?

they would be in 5th in the division and not in the conversation what so ever

does 2 points at the mid point really change a GM form 23rd to 4th or better?

I am not siuggesting I want Jim gone, but Steve Yzerman might still be the best GM in the league

3 minutes ago, lmm said:

sure but this is soooo standings based

what if the Canucks had 1 less win?

they would be in 5th in the division and not in the conversation what so ever

does 2 points at the mid point really change a GM form 23rd to 4th or better?

I am not siuggesting I want Jim gone, but Steve Yzerman might still be the best GM in the league

Unless I'm mistaken, the writers were polled before the Canucks were in 1st. So no, it's not just standings based. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

The media dole out the awards and spin the tale.  They are binary with Vancouver.  Nice to see him getting some recognition, but I doubt he would even notice if he won.  He is an exception from a lot GM's, he is pretty humble.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Cap management (and Free Agency by extension) is the main thing holding him back. He's been below average at best in those two areas. 

has it tho? who did he target to date that he couldn't get? we have yet to see if the current cap situation will have any bearing on locking up the young core. 

• Cheers 1

He's done well.

None are perfect.

Most UFA's and a few smart trades have given us depth.

Even Loui has been a part of this team's success, there's no denying it.

The hatred displayed towards Benning is not much more than self loathing turned outwards.

Which is kind of sad, but not at all uncommon.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

The media dole out the awards and spin the tale.  They are binary with Vancouver.  Nice to see him getting some recognition, but I doubt he would even notice if he won.  He is an exception from a lot GM's, he is pretty humble.  

Pot-Roast-ATK-Pressure-Cooking-Today.jpg

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Oh, it was a crock to be sure. Especially considering this was, I believe, right in the middle of Chiarelli doing whatever the &^@# you call what he did in Edmonton. 

If you want to go deep into the weeds, he fracked his friend's (Benning's) direct competition over, is what he did.