The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Is Jim Benning the best GM in the NHL at the season's halfway mark?

Rate this topic

-AJ-

It is too early to rank the GM ranking for the season. Just for half of the season, I think BN is:

Draft :  A  (Pod, Hod))

Free agent signings :   B-  (Myers, Ferland, Benn)

Trades:  A  (Miller)

Assets keeping:  B+  (Stretch, Jake, Loui, Leivo, Sutter, Pearson)

I am looking for the TDL moves.

15 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

It is too early to rank the GM ranking for the season. Just for half of the season, I think BN is:

Draft :  A  (Pod, Hod, Boeser, Gaudette, McCann, Forsling, Demko, Tryamkin, Lind, Hughes, Madden, DiPietro )

Based on potential as of now in alternative leagues and benchmark of 50 games played or more in the NHL

I'd say that's a solid 5 years worth of drafting myself.

44 minutes ago, xereau said:

If you want to go deep into the weeds, he fracked his friend's (Benning's) direct competition over, is what he did.

How do good of a friend would you have to be to sabotage a multimillion dollar sports franchise and ruin your own reputation in the process? Benning’s ass better be there with bells on any time Chiarelli needs help moving. 

24 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Draft :  A  (Pod, Hod))

Considering how much better Benning is at drafting than trading (with a few exceptions), his best TDL move will likely be not to make any trades and to just keep developing all the young players he has already drafted or signed.  The exception would be if he can make a decent trade that does not involve trading picks or top prospects, but still only for short-term veteran depth (so that the acquired players don't get in the way of our developing prospects).

Just now, King Heffy said:

Fully wanted him fired up until the Burr/Hansen trades.  Neither player worked out, but both were decent gambles at the time.  Following up the trades by taking EP40 and the rest of that haul fully convinced me that he knew what he was doing.

Benning has made his mistakes over his tenure but he's shown a willingness to learn from them and move on (Gudbranson, Gagner, MDZ.  It's hard to argue against the fact that the team is in much better shape, both for the short term and for the future, than when he took over.

I only hope our owner is smart enough to realize JB is great.  

• Cheers 1

I'm still extremely worried about our back end. Hughes is the only sure thing at this point, and the last thing I want is to end up as the Leafs 2.0.

That being said, he's definitely redeemed himself somewhat in my books. #1 GM in the league though... Heh. 

He will be the best GM if

1. We win at least one cup and

2. Despite drafting in the late first year after year, he finds a way to infuse the team with quality youth, i.e., he continues to draft players of Boeser's quality in the late 1st round. Then the team will do #1 more frequently and he will be able to cement himself as the best GM in the league.

1 hour ago, Mathew Barzal said:

I'm still extremely worried about our back end. Hughes is the only sure thing at this point, and the last thing I want is to end up as the Leafs 2.0.

That being said, he's definitely redeemed himself somewhat in my books. #1 GM in the league though... Heh. 

Pretty comfortable with Woo, and still think OJ will work out.  We're already far better than the Leafs D as we actually have more than one player capable of playing like an NHLer in his own end.  The Comets have a better D group than Toronto's pylons.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

I don' think he is a great gm, just my own opinion.  Love the team and I hope Jim does well.  We have some over loaded contracts he's also made some bad trades and free agent signings didn't work well.  His drafting is a A though, that's for sure. 

If you look at the over loaded contracts though, they were done with a timeline in mind. Over pay the right locker room guys to bridge this gap. I don't mind it at all. 

Edited by cyoung
  • Cheers 2

Honest question, how long do you think he'd be unemployed for if the Canunks fired him? There would be a few teams happy to have him. I have to say he exceeded my expectations on the rebuild, and before someone complains about low expectation, I've see them all since Canunks day 1.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1