The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson + Madden to NJD

On July 1st the Canucks owe Loui a 3M signing bonus. Then it's only 1M salary for the season and a 1M SB the following year with a 3M salary. Cap hit of 6M with 2.5M actual money per season for the final 2 years.

It's no secret John Madden (Tylers father) is Devils royalty. 9 seasons with the Devils, 711 games and 296 points.

To NJD: Tyler Madden + 2021 2nd round pick + Loui Eriksson

To VAN: Nikita Gusev

Gusev is all salary no SB so Devils don't have to pay him anything. He has 1 year left on his contract and will be a free agent when the Canucks have to sign Petey and Quinn.

Am I crazy ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

On July 1st the Canucks owe Loui a 3M signing bonus. Then it's only 1M salary for the season and a 1M SB the following year with a 3M salary. Cap hit of 6M with 2.5M actual money per season for the final 2 years.

It's no secret John Madden (Tylers father) is Devils royalty. 9 seasons with the Devils, 711 games and 296 points.

Gusev is all salary no SB so Devils don't have to pay him anything. He has 1 year left on his contract and will be a free agent when the Canucks have to sign Petey and Quinn.

Am I crazy ?

Basically any return is good if all it takes to unload Eriksson is Madden who is still a longshot to make the NHL and doesn't have any foreseeable spot to slot into on our roster.

19 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Am I crazy ?

Good proposal.  And yes you’re crazy. :towel:

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

Basically any return is good if all it takes to unload Eriksson is Madden who is still a longshot to make the NHL and doesn't have any foreseeable spot to slot into on our roster.

Can't tell if you are joking or not? I expect he will be the biggest surprise to suit up for the Canucks this year. It might even happen this season. I have him at "the most likely player to make the Canucks this year who isn't signed yet". 

• Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Am I crazy ?

probably. 

But Loui has shown he can be a real asset to the right mix of guys on the top 6, which to a rebuilding team could be valuable, so you never know, Madden and a 2nd is decent value, particularly if Loui is a 0.5ppg player there too. 

21 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Am I crazy ?

Seems like a bit of a risk, given the age difference, and that Gusev is in his first N.A. season. Maybe add a clause to the 2nd rounder... If Gusev resigns with Van, NJ gets the 2nd. If not, no pick.

Just now, gizmo2337 said:

Can't tell if you are joking or not? I expect he will be the biggest surprise to suit up for the Canucks this year. It might even happen this season. I have him at "the most likely player to make the Canucks this year who isn't signed yet". 

Madden would be the 2nd lightest player in the entire league, Quinn Hughes has 20 pounds on him.  Really small guys "can" make it, but most of them don't even in this smaller faster league.

Playing well in college doesn't earn you a straight line into being an NHL regular, even a list of previous Hobey Baker winners and finalists shows a bunch of guys who mostly ended up as AHL and European league players.  Guys coming in are still an exception rather than the rule.

39 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

Plus, throwing away a 2nd round pick. I wouldn't do this. Loui, amazingly enough, has really contributed ever since he was added to Bo's line. 

Ownership in NJD just fired Shero because they made the playoffs only 1 in 5 years.  Adding Madden that is several years away - if he even makes it while taking on a bad contract for a productive player doesn't make much sense given their rational for firing Shero.

Sounds like they are more looking to offload their own ageing veterans rather than add new ones.  They've apparently asked Zajac, who has 1 more year, to waive his no trade but he has refused.  

Fwiw Eric Stephens covers the Anaheim Ducks for the Athletic and Anaheim is willing to take on bad contracts in return of picks and prospects.  He thinks that a 1st round pick would not be enough to convince Anaheim to take Backes who only has 1 year left.  He thinks that for Anaheim to take the remaining year of Stepan from Arizona it would cost either Hayton or Soderstrom.  

Eriksson is going to cost significantly more than an undersized prospect picked in the 3rd round. 

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I would rather risk seeing if Madden turns out to be a good player. It's more likely than not and even if he's middle of the pack or lower, he's forward depth and we're going to need that the next five years as the current core is coming into its own.

The worry with him is that he quickly gets buried on our depth chart.

Assuming he has to play in the top 9, and isn’t a fit on the 4th line, and assuming he is going to have to play wing for us as he isn’t likely to push our existing top 3 centres out....

He is currently behind guys like MacEwan and Lind, and probably behind guys like Bailey and Jasek.

In the next two years when we can expect Madden to turn pro, we also have Hoglander and Podkolzin coming into the system.

What are the odds he is ahead of any or enough of those players to take one of the few available roster spots?  We also will have two more drafts happening before then, where we will also be picking more players.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

probably. 

But Loui has shown he can be a real asset to the right mix of guys on the top 6, which to a rebuilding team could be valuable, so you never know, Madden and a 2nd is decent value, particularly if Loui is a 0.5ppg player there too. 

Keep Eriksson atm.  He is doing well with Bo and it can only help his value.  

If he can finish the year in his current role, he could be moved with a portion retained possibly, it he may hang up the skates on a high note after his bonus.  

At this point he costs too much to shed and his play is worth more to us atm. 

• Cheers 1