The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Brock Boeser for Timo Meier?

I would have done this deal if Meier wasn't signed his his massive deal.

Remind you his QO offer in like 4 years is going to be 10 million dollars.  I love Timo Meier but looking at a 10 mil ticket seems mighty steep for me.

Boeser is an integral part of our future, he isn't playing great right now, but every player goes through ebs and flows of the season.  Boeser seems to be in one right now. 

9 minutes ago, the grinder said:

so is team name  the seattle seamen?

Is that the name they're going with? Oh man alive, I hope so.

The possibilities!

"With 1 minute to go in regulation, Gallant pulls Matt Murray, and Seattle goes with six skaters. There's a lot of Seamen on the ice right now."

"Welcome to Hockey Night in Canada everyone. Seattle and Vancouver tonight at Rogers Arena. The first time the Seamen have been in Vancouver."

"My goodness, Seattle are literally storming the Boston net, and Rask is literally covered in Seamen!"

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I know there can be no possibility for criticism.  But can you honestly say he is the same player from first season?  Have you seen one dynamic play from him this last two seasons?  Its not talent related.  Ever since Petey arrived he just a shell of himself.  Based off his first season, he had real potential to be a 50 goal guy.  I think he still does, but there is something going on his head.  He isn't taking any initiative.  There is no aggression in his game.  It is all just passive stuff.  I mean he is supposed to be the best shooter this team has ever had since outside of maybe Naslund.  All I see on the powerplay is Petey, Hughes and Miller slapping one timers all day.  I mean the coach dropped him down low on the PP because he kept on passing up shots.  Again, its all just heartbreaking stuff.

I just don't even know how to respond. I think we need to just agree to disagree. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

he was a ppg player with Petey :blink:

That's kind of a bit of the problem though.

So is everybody else. So how much of it is Petey?

Brock started with Bo and Vanek, then Baertshi, and all the primo ice time he could eat on a team with nobody else, then jumped up to Pettersson. This is the first time in his career he's had to actually produce the offense on a line and he's not currently getting it done. He might pick it up, but "right now" he's not, and not looking great either.

A "Supporting piece" is okay too, but if somebody would pay a "prime piece" price to get him, then it makes sense to move him for that price as there are a lot of "supporting pieces" out there for cheaper.

I'm not for an instant suggesting dump him off... but if he can't produce away from Petey while anybody else can produce with him... that leaves questions.

I'm sure as hell glad he wasn't locked up to that infinity year deal for $billions

Just now, brownky said:

That's kind of a bit of the problem though.

So is everybody else. So how much of it is Petey?

Brock started with Bo and Vanek, then Baertshi, and all the primo ice time he could eat on a team with nobody else, then jumped up to Pettersson. This is the first time in his career he's had to actually produce the offense on a line and he's not currently getting it done. He might pick it up, but "right now" he's not, and not looking great either.

A "Supporting piece" is okay too, but if somebody would pay a "prime piece" price to get him, then it makes sense to move him for that price as there are a lot of "supporting pieces" out there for cheaper.

I'm not for an instant suggesting dump him off... but if he can't produce away from Petey while anybody else can produce with him... that leaves questions.

I'm sure as hell glad he wasn't locked up to that infinity year deal for $billions

an elite 1st line is now a "problem"? I guess I missed the memo.

Fact: you don't start producing more off the 3rd line. No one does. If the plan is for him to learn a more defensive-mined game then at least there's a working theory that makes some sense. 

28 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Fact: you don't start producing more off the 3rd line. No one does. If the plan is for him to learn a more defensive-mined game then at least there's a working theory that makes some sense. 

Well it depends on how you define the word “problem”.

If he gets taken off that top line and replaced by a cheaper player, and it keeps producing at the same or better rate without him... that is a problem for Boeser, not a problem for the team.  It shows he is more of a product of who he is playing with than a driver of play.

He is still getting prime 1st unit PP time and that unit isn’t producing very well right now at all.

All players go through slumps, and this is probably just Boeser’s time for his.  I am not at all worried long term, and I think as soon as we lose a game or two we will see him replace Eriksson on the 2nd line.

Unlike Petterson and Hughes, you can imagine a deal for Boeser which improves our team both in the short and long term, so it is worth spitballing about on a forum specifically made for doing that.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Why are we trading Boeser?

Apparently now that Jake has emerged and continues to improve and the team has sufficient depth to have a player of Boeser's ability not be on the first line, it is time to dismantle things and tweak the roster.    That seems to be the general logic.

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think you're looking at what I've said the wrong way.

The issue/problem I refer to is Brock's production "on his own", as a line offense driver rather than someone who simply compliments what is already there. Having an Elite first line is not a problem, as you say, but the composition of that first line counts. If you've got a guy on the third line making 5 mil+ who can't produce on his own, then the real question becomes: is HE "elite" or just "very good" - if other GMs see him as "elite" and would pay that premium for him when we "know" he's "just very good", we should consider the deal if it's greatly in our favour from that perspective. Like if Sakic fell off his chair and offered us Makar for him. Never happen, but if some GM was in that mode of desperation to do a deal as unbalanced as that, you probably take it.

Being on the "third line" isn't a great excuse. He *IS* 22, so I'm not saying write him off either, as I said, I'm not saying "TRADE HIM NAOWWW". But it would be foolish to not look at what's going on. You don't increase your production on the third line, but it shouldn't dry up to zero either.

When I see him play, I don't see him play with the jam that he needs. Not just as a third liner, but as any player. Points are only part of the equation - very important part, but still just part. Most shifts it doesn't look like he's *really* trying out there. The reason I say that is because there's shifts when he does try and the difference is incredible, he looks outstanding out there. Then the next shift he's pedestrian. That kind of play reminds me of Alexi Kovalev, all the talent on any given shift to just do stuff, but takes most of the game off because reasons.

I'd say Travis Green probably sees some of the same things, hence the drop from the top line and now declining ice times. Maybe he's hurt. Maybe his head isn't in it given the family stuff - all understandable. There's a ton of reasons for not playing well. But right now he's not playing well; is it him regressing to his actual normal, or is it a blip?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The possibilities!

"With 1 minute to go in regulation, Gallant pulls Matt Murray, and Seattle goes with six skaters. There's a lot of Seamen on the ice right now."

"Welcome to Hockey Night in Canada everyone. Seattle and Vancouver tonight at Rogers Arena. The first time the Seamen have been in Vancouver."

"My goodness, Seattle are literally storming the Boston net, and Rask is literally covered in Seamen!"

Rubbing out some Seamen along the boards. :wub:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Look no one denies the talent.  He just doesn't seem to fit in.  I thought dropping him onto the Gaudette line was a brilliant idea that way he would drive play again.  Get the puck on his stick instead of deferring and passing to Petey all the time.  There is no spark in the poor guy.  When he was playing with Petey, he would pass up good shots just to get Petey the puck.  He no longer believes he is the best player on the ice.  It hurts my heart to see it.  Green used to roll him out 24min a night in his rookie season, and he would take on anyone and every wrist shot went in.  Now he is Petey's butler.  Even JT in his brilliance has surpassed him.

you mean the Gaudette who can't win a face off, or the Gaudette who constantly tries to go thru defence and loses the puck every time or the Gaudette who doesn't use his wingers and just doesn't pass, that Gaudette,  Boeser Petey and Miller   were playing well together and Green double shifted Boeser many nights and  now Green is making the excuse that Boeser isn't playing well.  I enjoyed watching the # 1 line with Boeser on it and the team but now not so much, with Boeser on the 3rd line  

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The possibilities!

I know lol  the seamen were looking at the 5 hole on that play,, the seamen cant find the back of the net,  seamen on the pp

35 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Oh right.  The qualifying offer of $10 MILLION sitting over Meier's head

VS

Boeser who has a comparable skill set, younger and due to his inconsistent year is not looking at a massive pay raise with restrictive QO.

slow clap for jb on that one  , gm of the year  

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well it depends on how you define the word “problem”.

If he gets taken off that top line and replaced by a cheaper player, and it keeps producing at the same or better rate without him... that is a problem for Boeser, not a problem for the team.  It shows he is more of a product of who he is playing with than a driver of play.

He is still getting prime 1st unit PP time and that unit isn’t producing very well right now at all.

All players go through slumps, and this is probably just Boeser’s time for his.  I am not at all worried long term, and I think as soon as we lose a game or two we will see him replace Eriksson on the 2nd line.

Unlike Petterson and Hughes, you can imagine a deal for Boeser which improves our team both in the short and long term, so it is worth spitballing about on a forum specifically made for doing that.

thats too simplistic imo. He's still young and you're putting him with another rookie as C, and a good but not exactly a speed demon in Roussel. Thats going to be a hard situation to produce for most players. I'm not sure it tells you anything other than its not a great line from a chemistry or experience pov. 

48 minutes ago, brownky said:

I think you're looking at what I've said the wrong way.

The issue/problem I refer to is Brock's production "on his own", as a line offense driver rather than someone who simply compliments what is already there. Having an Elite first line is not a problem, as you say, but the composition of that first line counts. If you've got a guy on the third line making 5 mil+ who can't produce on his own, then the real question becomes: is HE "elite" or just "very good" - if other GMs see him as "elite" and would pay that premium for him when we "know" he's "just very good", we should consider the deal if it's greatly in our favour from that perspective. Like if Sakic fell off his chair and offered us Makar for him. Never happen, but if some GM was in that mode of desperation to do a deal as unbalanced as that, you probably take it.

Being on the "third line" isn't a great excuse. He *IS* 22, so I'm not saying write him off either, as I said, I'm not saying "TRADE HIM NAOWWW". But it would be foolish to not look at what's going on. You don't increase your production on the third line, but it shouldn't dry up to zero either.

When I see him play, I don't see him play with the jam that he needs. Not just as a third liner, but as any player. Points are only part of the equation - very important part, but still just part. Most shifts it doesn't look like he's *really* trying out there. The reason I say that is because there's shifts when he does try and the difference is incredible, he looks outstanding out there. Then the next shift he's pedestrian. That kind of play reminds me of Alexi Kovalev, all the talent on any given shift to just do stuff, but takes most of the game off because reasons.

I'd say Travis Green probably sees some of the same things, hence the drop from the top line and now declining ice times. Maybe he's hurt. Maybe his head isn't in it given the family stuff - all understandable. There's a ton of reasons for not playing well. But right now he's not playing well; is it him regressing to his actual normal, or is it a blip?

How many guys produce on their own? why is that the new standard for Brock? I don't really get it. Jakes not producing on this own either.