The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Doughty for Marner - No brainer for both teams

Benefit for LA:

The Kings are in a rebuild phase and by the time they get to be competitive again, Doughty will be on a decline. Doughty has already publicly voiced his displeasure of having two bad seasons. Marner is young enough to still be a force once LA gets better in 2 or 3 years.

Benefit for Toronto:

The Leafs are built to win now and have enough offence left for be very good in this end. Their biggest weakness is defence and Doughty would fit the need the best.

Salary Cap Implications:

None. Both are virtually even salaries.

Contract clause issues:

Marner - does not have a NMC or NTC

Doughty - has a NTC but would easily waive it to go back home and play for a competitive team

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Monteeun said:

I don't think Doughty would actually make them that much better.

Really? You think Leafs D will carry them anywhere in the playoffs? Once the regular season is over, the Leafs will be in a world of hurt when the checking gets real tight.

I hate Doughty but he is a premier defencemen which can easily be talked into waiving his NTC. 

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Really? You think Leafs D will carry them anywhere in the playoffs? Once the regular season is over, the Leafs will be in a world of hurt when the checking gets real tight.

I hate Doughty but he is a premier defencemen which can easily be talked into waiving his NTC. 

U think Marner for Doughty is equal value?

Edited by Monteeun

If I'm LA, this is a no brainer and I say yes. But if I'm Toronto, I don't do it. Doesn't make sense. Marner is a hometown kid who loves being a Leaf. He's not going anywhere and the blowback of dealing him for Doughty would be big.

However, going through the trade machine on Capfriendly... a deal that does make sense is the following:

William Nylander

Timothy Liljegren 

Alex Kerfoot

PICKS

for 

Drew Doughty

Bokondji Imama 

Works. It's cap compliant (Nylander and Kerfoot's salaries roughly add up to Doughty's)... and I threw in Imama as a throwaway player who is there to help even out the contracts (since LA takes 3 contracts for 1, essentially) and Imama probably doesn't get re-signed this summer based on his numbers in the AHL. 

This could be a workable deal. Liljegren is a B+ prospect who lines up with the other prospects in the Kings system. Nylander replaces Tyler Toffoli who leaves in free agency this Summer and Kerfoot is thrown in for salary purposes and is somebody the Kings could probably flip in a season for more picks + prospects... I added picks in there because I'm sure there'll be some thrown in but I was lazy to figure out which ones because the Maple Leafs have traded away random picks in the past. I assume it would be a first or second. 

Why does LA do this? Frees up some cap space, gets picks and prospects, and shows to the NHL that it's serious about a rebuild. 

Why does Toronto do this? Doughty comes home, shores up the defence for the next several years with another solid veteran, and brings another name to the Maple Leafs organisation. Leafs &^@# up there cap situation for years too come as Doughty regresses lol... 

I do think Doughty being dealt is something that could happen. After watching Shea Weber get dealt, any d-man could be, even if Doughty as a NMC... I'm sure he'll be okay with a trade to a contender if LA can't turn it around in another year or two (which it won't).

Does it happen? Probably not but I like the thinking. 

5 minutes ago, Monteeun said:

U think Marner for Doughty is equal value?

No. Marner is an elite young forward and Doughty is an elite older defenceman. This is for the purpose of winning the Cup, not a 10 year post trade comparison. 

I want to also make it clear. I’m not a fan of either team and I hate Doughty. I just think it is a perfect trade for two teams with two different needs.

Edited by grandmaster

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No. Marner is an elite young forward and Doughty is an elite older defenceman. This is for the purpose of winning the Cup, not a 10 year post trade comparison. 

I want to also make it clear. I’m not a fan of either team and I hate Doughty. I just think it is a perfect trade for two teams with two different needs.

There's gotta be extra pieces....

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Perhaps a 2nd rounder to TO?

My point is, Marner is a fantastic player for Toronto. So if Toronto was to give him away....i feel it can't be just for Doughty

Whether they are likeable or not is irrelevant. I'm trying to look at just value.

Edited by Monteeun

No brainer for LA. Having said that T.O. Should be looking at something like that for sure. Maybe package Nylander. I wouldn’t trade that Marner puke but if they want to go anywhere they need a more balanced team. I hope they buy another forward hehe 

• Haha 1