The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at San Jose Sharks | Jan. 29, 2020

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Comeback_Kings said:

Sharks gave it everything they had tonight and couldn't break the Canucks on a night where EP misses on two breakaways.  

Yeah, in the past few years they weren't just beating us in the scoresheet but psychologically as well - hopefully, starting this year we can return the favor.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Dirty play aside, Karlsson is a shell of his former Ottawa self.  Sharks are stuck with his massive 8 x 11.5m too.  Not to mention Burns and Vlasic.

they must be hoping for another lockout with multiple complience buy outs

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While this is a great win, the absence of an answer to San Jose’s physical attacks was noticeable. That needs to be rectified if this team hopes to make it far in the playoffs. Don’t want to see Canucks getting injured without retribution. 

what ever happened to Antione Roussell?

and our Captain,

and Jake

and Myers

and Benn 

and Pearson

meanwhile

how about that Petey kid , second on the team in hits (actually tied with the Tanmeister)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Comments on tonight.

1. The Canucks were outplayed through two periods. Like some people said in the GDT, it looked like "one of the those games", but the team came back strong in the 3rd and full credit for the win.

2. The shot totals and the Corsi totals favour San Jose by a big margin, but the game was closer than that. San Jose was taking a lot of low probability shots (and shot attempts), especially once they fell behind. In terms of high danger chances, Natural Stat Trick has the Sharks 10 to 9 for the Canucks -- very close. The Canucks had their chances, including three partial breakaways by Pettersson and a couple of posts. Once again, this game could have gone either way, but Marky had a solid game and kept the team close through two periods and he was the probably the key difference. 

3. Hughes was named the first star. He looks great out there, and Green had him taking his full share of minutes against the other team's top players. (The three left D's -- Hughes, Edler and Fantenberg -- each had just over 5 minutes of even strength time against Kane.) After the last game I said that Hughes was maybe taking too many shots from the point. Glad he did not listen to me, as his opening goal on a shot from the point was an excellent play that helped keep the Canucks in the game. Hughes almost never gets beaten on a play that involves skating. He is fast and he always take the right angle. However, he can get trapped in his own end and it is tough for him to win puck battles given his (lack of) size and strength. But another excellent game by Hughes.

4. Once again, Fantenberg had a good game. He actually led the D in even strength Corsi and he shared the LD PK time with Edler. I thought he played very well. 

5. Horvat is probably not getting enough credit in the winning streak. He was 15 and 4 in the faceoff circle and, as always, had the toughest minutes although, like the last game, the tough minutes were divided up more evenly that earlier in the streak.

6. I have not often commented on Beagle, partly because he is usually not particularly bad or particularly good. He has "met expectations" but that is because expectations for a 4th line center are not usually very high. But I have to give him credit tonight. He is fearless in blocking shots and does a good job on the PK. After getting hurt tonight on a shot block he came back and make a great play on the Sutter goal. So credit to Beagle and it is good to Beagle and Sutter finally get on the scoresheet. 

7. Great GWG by Virtanen. He continues his streak and he continues to look like he belongs in the top 6. Green moved him around tonight, putting him with the Horvat line and the EP line.

8. Green changed up the lines a bit, partly because of the Motte injury and partly to get things going after a sub-par showing in the first two periods. After Motte was hurt, Eriksson played with Sutter and Beagle in a lot of tough defensive situations. I was sorry to see Motte hurt and that takes away some energy and physical play. But the defensive capability of the Beagle line is actually better with Eriksson on it and those guys had a strong 3rd period (including getting a goal). 

9. It was also good for Boeser to get some time with Pettersson and Miller in place of Virtanen, as Virtanen took Eriksson's place on the Horvat line. And it was good to see Boeser on the scoresheet again. However, his game still needs to improve. The team needs more from Roussel and Gaudette. Gaudette did get an assist on Virtanen's PP goal, but I think that playing with Roussel and Gaudette has made it hard for Boeser. None of those guys really drives play. 

10. Cannot believe a penalty was not called on Karlsson on the play where Motte was injured. Even though I am sure there was no intent to injure, that is a dangerous play -- guiding the opponent's head into the boards.  But it would not have made sense for Horvat or anyone else to go full goon (or even partial goon) on Karlsson.  Better to come back and win the game. And save the emotion. The Canucks have a long road trip ahead. 

12. Overall, another big win and, with losses to Edmonton, Arizona, and Dallas, the Canucks are solidifying their spot in the standings. 

Keep it coming.   In my opinion, the perfect way to deal with the EK incidence, is to deal with it at the very moment and if not, certainly winning the game is also a good response overall.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Signing that paper meant, it was time to start his retirement.   His play has certainly, lacked the intensity he showed during his Ottawa days..

well to be fair, he did lose a kid, that could add a lot of perspective 

he has had a rough couple of years

losing a kid also changed Jovo's game as well

I was talking about all those bad contracts not just EK

4 minutes ago, lmm said:

well to be fair, he did lose a kid, that could add a lot of perspective 

he has had a rough couple of years

losing a kid also changed Jovo's game as well

I was talking about all those bad contracts not just EK

Ditto, some form of context will always force us (most) to certainly, change our perspective.  Good on EK (for getting that contract) but not sure for the Sharks.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

We were outplayed for most of the game. First two periods for certain. 

Good effort by SJ, but I think at the end of the day the Canucks just showed they were the better team. We had the better chances per shot, and better goaltending. (Though Jones can hardly be blamed for the loss. He wasn't particularly amazing, but stoning Petey twice is pretty hard to do).

Great start to the road trip. Division is still tight - need to keep this going. Edmonton went to OT against the Flames so that wasn't ideal...